Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

River Cruising
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:26 PM.
Germany
4,319 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by adijane
I recognize that this question is premature however I will ask anyway. In light of the long dry summer what are some of the opinions folks have over how a December Danube cruise will be impacted. I recognize this will be speculation but would be interested to hear what people say. thanks adi
If you are travelling with Crystal, they have the best balls for cruising.

Magic 8 ball says:

As I see it, yes
Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again
Don’t count on it
It is certain
It is decidedly so
Most likely
My reply is no
My sources say no
Outlook good
Outlook not so good
Reply hazy try again
Signs point to yes
Very doubtful
Without a doubt
Yes
Yes, definitely
You may rely on it
4 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Re the comments about buses. I realise that some excursions from the ship involve taking a bus. That’s fine - I would choose not to go on those that involved a long bus trip & do something independently or just relax on the ship.

If the water levels are too low for the ship to continue then I’m concerned that I will be forced into taking long bus trips. Not my idea of fun & I wouldn’t find that at all relaxing.

I was really looking forward to a CRUISE down the Danube something I’ve wanted to do for years. I’ve checked the terms & conditions & they do allow the cruise company (in my case Avalon) to substitute the cruise with bus & hotel when required with little or no notice to customer.

Hopefully it won’t come to that. Or Avalon will give us the opportunity to cancel/rebook. We can only wait & see.
Jerez, spain
1,626 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by MrsT12
Re the comments about buses. I realise that some excursions from the ship involve taking a bus. That’s fine - I would choose not to go on those that involved a long bus trip & do something independently or just relax on the ship.

If the water levels are too low for the ship to continue then I’m concerned that I will be forced into taking long bus trips. Not my idea of fun & I wouldn’t find that at all relaxing.

I was really looking forward to a CRUISE down the Danube something I’ve wanted to do for years. I’ve checked the terms & conditions & they do allow the cruise company (in my case Avalon) to substitute the cruise with bus & hotel when required with little or no notice to customer.

Hopefully it won’t come to that. Or Avalon will give us the opportunity to cancel/rebook. We can only wait & see.

I am with you. From what I have heard on this thread and several others, AVALON has been offering several options. I am still hoping for rain.

I lived in Puerto Rico for 9 years and we had a dry spell . Water rationing was about to commence, then lo and behold the rains came and everything was back to normal within a few days.

Maybe being overly optimistic, but at this point there is not much we can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
41 Posts
Joined May 2005
Still in Germany after leaving our Viking cruise just this past Saturday. The weather has been beautiful. Good for Oktoberfest and such but not much help for the Danube. Good luck to all of you. Headed back to the US tommorrow morning.
Jerez, spain
1,626 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by conman
Still in Germany after leaving our Viking cruise just this past Saturday. The weather has been beautiful. Good for Oktoberfest and such but not much help for the Danube. Good luck to all of you. Headed back to the US tommorrow morning.

Thanks for all the updates, have a good flight back!

Germany
4,319 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
The only change to report is the Danube river levels have fallen slightly.

The good news is that the Christmas Markets will not be impacted by the low river levels (at least for us locals).
Jerez, spain
1,626 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by G.M.T.
The only change to report is the Danube river levels have fallen slightly.

The good news is that the Christmas Markets will not be impacted by the low river levels (at least for us locals).

Speaking of the markets when do they start

Germany
4,319 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Flamencacha

Generally speaking the Christmas Markets run from 1st. Advent until 23rd. December.

Some stat a week before Advent and some are open after Christmas, e.g. Munich Airport Christmas Market is open 18th. November to 30th. December.
27,158 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by Flamencacha

I found several start in November in Vienna:

https://www.city-walks.info/Vienna/C...as-Market.html

Same in Salzburg:

https://www.austria.info/uk/things-t...ts-in-salzburg

Munich - November 27:

https://www.bavaria.by/experiences/c...market-munich/
Expand Signature