Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:38 PM.
Pennsylvania
5,929 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Flying transatlantic on American (I just randomly choose an airline) the first bag is free but the second bag is $100. Deciding to pack a tuxedo might make the difference between needing one suitcase and needing two.

Flying domestically I choose Southwest whenever possible so we each get two free checked bags.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
London, UK
604 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Why not fly wearing your tuxedo! You might even get upgraded to first class.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
1990 Black Prince
1999 Club Med 2
2001 Seabourn Pride, Caronia
2002 Silver Whisper, Seven Seas Mariner
2003 Seabourn Spirit, Seven Seas Navigator, Radisson Song of Flower
2004 Silver Wind, Seadream 1, Pandaw II
2005 Seabourn Pride
2006 Seabourn Legend
2007 Seabourn Legend, Galapagos Explorer, Le Diament
2008 Silver Wind, Crystal Serenity, Road to Mandalay
2009 Seven Seas Navigator, Silver Shadow
2010 Crystal Symphony, Seven Seas Mariner, Silver Spirit
2011 Crystal Symphony, Seabourn Spirit,
2012 Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Odyssey,
2013 Mekong Explorer, Scenic Emerald, Seven Seas Voyager
2014 Seabourn Quest, Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
2015 Tauck Insignia, Seabourn Odyssey
2016 Seven Seas Navigator, Tauck Emerald
2017 Seabourn Encore, Seven Seas Explorer, Queen Elizabeth
Nottngham, UK.
925 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Originally posted by Underwatr
Flying transatlantic on American (I just randomly choose an airline) the first bag is free but the second bag is $100. Deciding to pack a tuxedo might make the difference between needing one suitcase and needing two. .
And that $100 as a percentage of your total vacation/holiday cost is?

Stuart
Ipswich
87 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by Wiltonian
And that $100 as a percentage of your total vacation/holiday cost is?

Stuart
Yes but its when you add up the $100 here and the 15% there and just that transfer cost etc they can actually quickly end up costing a 1/4 or so of your holiday cost. Usually though those of us who are aware of such things actually live every day like that (& such careful budgeting is rewarded with being able to take a trip on a Queen or whatever "luxury" we choose). I realise that these days I do have a bit more leeway in being able to say "ok we'll just get a taxi" or "if we have to pay for an extra bag so be it" but old habits die hard & it was taking care of the pennies that got me to this point so I'd never knock anyone trying to do the same
Lancashier
286 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by wenlyn
Yes but its when you add up the $100 here and the 15% there and just that transfer cost etc they can actually quickly end up costing a 1/4 or so of your holiday cost. Usually though those of us who are aware of such things actually live every day like that (& such careful budgeting is rewarded with being able to take a trip on a Queen or whatever "luxury" we choose). I realise that these days I do have a bit more leeway in being able to say "ok we'll just get a taxi" or "if we have to pay for an extra bag so be it" but old habits die hard & it was taking care of the pennies that got me to this point so I'd never knock anyone trying to do the same
Forgive me if I am wrong, but you sound just like me, a senior citizen, I also looked after the pennies, we had in days gone by, and now we can go on cruises.
Mississauga, Canada
1,401 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by Underwatr
Flying transatlantic on American (I just randomly choose an airline) the first bag is free but the second bag is $100. Deciding to pack a tuxedo might make the difference between needing one suitcase and needing two.

Flying domestically I choose Southwest whenever possible so we each get two free checked bags.
Although we have never checked a second bag per person (even when it is free) I checked the transatlantic allowance from Canada on Air Canada and Air Transat. In economy, the first bag (50 lb.) is free and the second costs $100. In Business Class/Club Class two bags up to 70 lb. each are free.

For flights within Canada or to the U.S., Air Canada and Westjet charge under $30 for the first bag - a bit more for the second one - on the cheaper economy fares with no charge for full fare economy or Business Class.

If a person cannot pack everything in one 50 lb. bag they are not trying hard enough. On our recent trip our two checked bags weighed 43 and 40 pounds respectively. We spent two weeks on the QM2 and a week in England. We paid the modest fee to check our bags on an economy flight from Toronto to Québec City. There was no baggage charge for the flight home from London Gatwick.
291 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by koliviera45
Dressing up at night is okay, but if it was 'smart casual' during the day as well, I couldn't do it. This is why I've never taken the Orient Express, the dress code etc is all a bit too restrictive, though I suppose I could put up with it for a one or two night train trip
I just got off the Queen Mary 2 on Friday after being on board for 12 days. I myself like many was concerned about daytime dress. I was so surprised at just how casual the dress of most passengers was, even at check in it was clear not many made an effort to get " dressed up for boarding " I can tell you next time I go I will be arriving in jeans. Believe me you will be surprised just how casual the dressing is during the day. Perhaps on Transatlantic it is different but this was to the Caribbean. You will love this ship...I am going to write a thread when I get time posting my thoughts and give some tips to first timers.
UK
685 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Yes, I think sometimes people on this board get paranoid about people wearing ‘normal’ clothes. I’m going on a world cruise shortly and will be very casual during the day and very formal at night ...... end of!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
291 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by PRINCESSTHE BEST
Yes, I think sometimes people on this board get paranoid about people wearing ‘normal’ clothes. I’m going on a world cruise shortly and will be very casual during the day and very formal at night ...... end of!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Well said, a hint for the evenings....Long evening skirts with mix and match tops are perfect. And if you take anything that needs to be dry cleaned wait and bring it on board to get cleaned I paid $34.00 dollars to get one of my dresses cleaned before the trip and the ship would have charged me $15.00.