Little bit concerned Discovery 1.

Does anyone know how long this ban of the ship visiting US territories will last ? Might get resolved before sum peoples cruise. When i check online to book excursions it still shows us going to puerto rico & USVI. To be honest tho im not that fussy, just have to roll with it, was looking forward to antigua anyway so another day there will be spent well and never been to tobago so that will be nice. Any ideas on what to do on tobago anyone ?? [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can highly recommend turners beach on antigua had a great day there 10 us dollars each return.5 us dollar for sun lounger 4 us dollar for a beer or if you fancy a tour hook up with gordons tours we visited devils bridge,English harbour and jolly beach great day out 50 us dollar each.in Tobago we just got taxi to pigeon point there was 4 of us think it was 10 dollars each(could have been 20)very long beach think a beer was 5 dollars didn't get sun loungers put towels down old school ha ha.taxi guy offered to take us to some sights we declined told him we were liming ha ha.

Does anyone know how long this ban of the ship visiting US territories will last ? Might get resolved before sum peoples cruise. When i check online to book excursions it still shows us going to puerto rico & USVI. To be honest tho im not that fussy, just have to roll with it, was looking forward to antigua anyway so another day there will be spent well and never been to tobago so that will be nice. Any ideas on what to do on tobago anyone ?? [emoji4]

As far as I know the Discovery has not been banned. Two things are relevant, all ships calling at USA ports are subject to regular unannounced CDC (Centre for Disease Control) inspections. Discovery was calling for the first time at a USA port so it would be expected that an inspection would take place. Secondly and most importantly on the first call at a USA port everyone on board needs their documentation checked by US immigration. As Discovery was new to US immigration this would mean everyone on board including the crew needed checking. The immigration service wanted everyone off the ship and as the US virgin islands probably does not have a large number of immigration officers this might well take all day!

It is reported the captain decided not to call but this would be a decision from HQ as passengers would not be happy standing around all day in the sun!

What is irritating is HQ's ignorance of these procedures. They should never have scheduled USA ports in the first place.

It can happen to other cruise lines too. I flew to Sydney to join a P&O ship and the flight landed at 7.30am yippee a full day in Sydney and sail the next day. They gave us breakfast in a hotel and then told us boarding started at noon because that was when immigration started work. What they did not tell us was once we boarded the ship we would not be allowed to disembark until everyone due to join the ship that day had boarded. Typically this is late afternoon or early evening. We got clearance just before 6pm so our two days in Sydney was one day and an evening. Funny that P&O did not mention this and we only found out when we got to the terminal.

Oh dear that would have been a bit of a let down for sydney davecttr ? True though about why the cruise company dont think of this before they choose where to go. And then sell the cruise. Even when they do now know they wont be calling there they haven notified the people who are affected. Bit anoying. But i know with cruising anything can happen so u have just got to go with it and make the best of it. I was planning on booking a private excursion to the dolphin discovery swim place in st Kitts, kinda nervous now incase they change around days we go there. Might wait till nearer the time.

Thanks for the suggestions Castiger, they sound like my cup of tea, a few beach days would be good as got a lot of boat/kyaking/snorkeling tours on other islands so would be nice a few just to take it easy. [emoji846] I have never done a tour or taxi private or not through the cruise company before so will give it a try this time. Im always a bit weary of missing the ship lol.

We are going in three weeks time but definitely concerned that the ship is not allowed onto USA islands. As expected tui have neglected to advise us about this. People are getting fifty dollars each plus refund of esta.

New name but same crap customer service.

Well i don,t know just had a email from Tui please book your excursion,s for San Juan and St Thomas sunday eavning 21st jan Good game at a St Mary,s :)

IMO you come on TA to get help with your travels,I really don't see a point in asking whether or not people have had troubles on the way,the number of times we have had fantastic stays at hotels where TA posters haven't a good word to say about are many,we are all different,some people will whinge about anything,no matter how petty or ridiculous,some people will just have bad luck,take it all with a pinch of salt!

IMO you come on TA to get help with your travels,I really don't see a point in asking whether or not people have had troubles on the way,the number of times we have had fantastic stays at hotels where TA posters haven't a good word to say about are many,we are all different,some people will whinge about anything,no matter how petty or ridiculous,some people will just have bad luck,take it all with a pinch of salt!

Well said Snaefell

Get one or you won't be allowed on the ship if there is any likelihood of the ship calling at a US port. Or they will allow you on the ship but you will have to disembark at the port before the US one and make your own way to the port after the US one. If you arrive at a US port without a visa you will be deported

Have just had email from program change and it has been confirmed as follow,s as dave said as above, the two U.S Ports have been removed and now as follow,s

TOBAGO

GUADELOUPE

ANTIGUA

ST LUCIA

MARTINIGUE

GRENADA

Have just had email from program change and it has been confirmed as follow,s as dave said as above, the two U.S Ports have been removed and now as follow,s

TOBAGO

GUADELOUPE

ANTIGUA

ST LUCIA

MARTINIGUE

GRENADA

P.S does this mean no Esta,s required for this cruise thank,s anyone just cant get hold of anyone from holiday change or my tui shop all they say is i don,t know try this number :eek::(

P.S does this mean no Esta,s required for this cruise thank,s anyone just cant get hold of anyone from holiday change or my tui shop all they say is i don,t know try this number :eek::(

Good question Howard, logic says as they have notified you before you go, you should not require one but it's Tui think its the old rock/hard place is it worth the risk for a small amount and they may refund if you say you purchased early??? Don't think you'll get the £50 passengers have been getting 😥 Still nice POC WITH NO SEA DAYS😀 Hope we can catch up[emoji112]

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Good question Howard, logic says as they have notified you before you go, you should not require one but it's Tui think its the old rock/hard place is it worth the risk for a small amount and they may refund if you say you purchased early??? Don't think you'll get the £50 passengers have been getting 😥 Still nice POC WITH NO SEA DAYS😀 Hope we can catch up[emoji112]

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Hello Roger

yes TUI are going to give us £50 per person and esta payment if we have paid it into our on board account it,s our 51 st anniversary so should pay for a couple of nice meals in the kora la .

HOWARD

Hello Roger

yes TUI are going to give us £50 per person and esta payment if we have paid it into our on board account it,s our 51 st anniversary so should pay for a couple of nice meals in the kora la .

HOWARD

The kora la has, iop, the best position on the ship fantastic for sailaways , we found it difficult to get in, went on wait list, so book asap, if you haven't been before make sure you're hungry when you go as you have lots of good food. Enjoy[emoji2]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

None of those email ports is US territory so no ESTA needed. Take a print of the email email with you when you go. If you have already bought an ESTA you might be able to get your money back if you bought it recently before you got the email. You would have to prove the date of purchase I suppose and be prepared for several months argument.

None of those email ports is US territory so no ESTA needed. Take a print of the email email with you when you go. If you have already bought an ESTA you might be able to get your money back if you bought it recently before you got the email. You would have to prove the date of purchase I suppose and be prepared for several months argument.

Evening Dave

it,s how you said it,also tui are saying the ship must be m.t pax must be put into hotels and the port authority do there duties half was done on her wet dock and the rest would be done in the caribbean but to no avail, yes as i said to P.C we are getting £50 per person because of the change to our ports of call being paid to our on board account ,no we have not got our estas yet

Evening Dave

it,s how you said it,also tui are saying the ship must be m.t pax must be put into hotels and the port authority do there duties half was done on her wet dock and the rest would be done in the caribbean but to no avail, yes as i said to P.C we are getting £50 per person because of the change to our ports of call being paid to our on board account ,no we have not got our estas yet

m.t ??? :confused:

half of what done on her wet dock?

m.t ??? :confused:

half of what done on her wet dock?

My guess would be water tight doors life boats ,working of ships davits heath and safety at sea,and i remember my days on the old RMS Queen mary both the oven,s and hot plates in the galleys in all kitchens x 3 were 12" of the tiles so could be hosed down every eavning even in the early sixties the USA coast guard and imigration were very strict, but you would think an ex USA ship it would go quite smoothly to enter U.S waters

Copy of my post in Roll Call Forum regarding Discovery being unable to dock at USA ports:-

Similar story here. I phoned Tui yesterday to clarify my excursions (booked online recently).

The lady said that I'd cancelled my San Juan tour. I explained that I hadn't done any such thing. She had no idea why it had happened and offered several reasons. Of course I know the real reason but didn't let on. She said my money should have been refunded; it hasn't, even today. She promised me she would phone me back; 20 hours later and no phone call.

When I logged on yesterday there was no change to my itinerary; lo and behold today it confirms Tobago and extra Antigua.

Tui are just as bad as they have always been and still treat the customer will total contempt.

Never mind £50 each going on on board account; I want my cash back and will pursue this after the event.

What a farse, they must think we are all simple. First time with thomson/tui/marella, not a great introduction. Theres no need at all to be truthfull/transparent with your PAYING customers.

Still very much looking forward to our cruise, and will have a good time regardless. Just leaves me a but weary of booking a private excursion in a few ports if they plan on changing the ports at there leisure.

Well do we or don't we get the ESTA? Though of ringing Tui but doubt they will know, and it takes ages to get through anyway.

Nannyannie,

Definitely NO ESTA required for any of the ports quoted on the itinerary that exelsor has posted.

We have recently returned from same itinerary on P&O Azura Cruise and did not require an ESTA. Have done this itinerary many times over the years and have never required an ESTA for any of islands quoted.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by HELEN HENRY

What happens if the day before we cruise they get there pass from what whatever islands they need and decide to go. ?? Is it really REALLY worth not having them for the sake of 14dollars or so per person. Also it will be refunded if u dont use it. Obv this is only my opinion.