Fantasy Medical Emergency

Thorncroft

Fantasy is returning to port with a medical emergency. It's supposed to be back around noon. They were asking for O negative blood. Sounds serious. Carnival is offering 100% refund if you choose to disembark, 50% refund and 50% FCC if you stay. Sounds like it may end up being a CTN.

Carnival released this statement:

Earlier today, Carnival Fantasy had to return to its homeport of Mobile, Ala. to disembark a guest experiencing a critical medical emergency. The ship was on the second day of a four-day cruise that departed the Port of Mobile yesterday.

As a result, the ship will be forced to miss a scheduled call in Cozumel, Mexico and the remainder of the voyage will be spent at sea.

All guests on this voyage will receive a 50% refund of their cruise fare and a 50% credit on a future Carnival cruise. In addition, any guests wishing to disembark in Mobile will have the opportunity to do so and will receive a full refund of their cruise fare.

Carnival sincerely apologizes to its guests for this disruption of their vacation plans. Returning to Mobile was imperative based on the seriousness of the medical emergency. The well-being of our guests and team members is always our foremost priority.

I didn't think they could do CTN's anymore??? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They can get a waiver under certain circumstances, with proper authorization. Earlier this year, Fantasy was experiencing propulsion issues and requested a waiver, which was granted. They ultimately got it fixed during the cruise and made an unscheduled stop in Key West. Those on board were very happy with the unexpected bonus stop.

Fantasy is returning to port with a medical emergency. It's supposed to be back around noon. They were asking for O negative blood. Sounds serious. Carnival is offering 100% refund if you choose to disembark, 50% refund and 50% FCC if you stay. Sounds like it may end up being a CTN.

I'm curious as to how blood donation would work on the ship. In the US blood is thoroughly tested, etc before being put to use. Although, I guess if it's so bad that they are asking for blood, it must be truly life or death.

I'm curious as to how blood donation would work on the ship. In the US blood is thoroughly tested, etc before being put to use. Although, I guess if it's so bad that they are asking for blood, it must be truly life or death.

I would think that Maritime law is different. Blood and Blood products are expensive and not east to maintain. Blood has a short shelf life. Frozen plasma has a longer shelf life and packed red cells has a shelf life of around 30 days. We carry blood on our ambulances, some months it gets wasted, others I use it up.

Interesting. I'm assuming they saline on board, and I'll go ahead an assume frozen plasma too. If they've got the equipment to collect blood, maybe they do some some rapid testing capabilities?

Most likely they do carry normal saline on board. Don't know if they carry frozen plasma, it's self life is not that long. The most important thing for blood loss is red blood cells. You need those to carry oxygen to cells and to off load the all the waste products cells give off during these situations. I'm sure it is not fesible to carry whole blood or even packed red cells. Frozen plasma will give you some volume expansion but cells that carry oxygen is needed.

Most likely they do carry normal saline on board. Don't know if they carry frozen plasma, it's self life is not that long. The most important thing for blood loss is red blood cells. You need those to carry oxygen to cells and to off load the all the waste products cells give off during these situations. I'm sure it is not fesible to carry whole blood or even packed red cells. Frozen plasma will give you some volume expansion but cells that carry oxygen is needed.

Thanks for that insight. I've been reading on a few threads that asking for blood isn't common, but not unheard of either. Seems they ask for people with donor cards already (because they know they've been tested somewhat recently). I guess possibly getting a blood-borne disease later on is better than bleeding to death right then and there. I know we've got a few ship staff on the boards, I wonder if there's a way to "summon" one of them for a better answer.

Thanks for that insight. I've been reading on a few threads that asking for blood isn't common, but not unheard of either. Seems they ask for people with donor cards already (because they know they've been tested somewhat recently). I guess possibly getting a blood-borne disease later on is better than bleeding to death right then and there. I know we've got a few ship staff on the boards, I wonder if there's a way to "summon" one of them for a better answer.

I've never bothered to ask on any of my cruises. Of course work related things are very much not on my mind. Maybe they should hire a paramedic and a EMT for these new "mega" cruise ships, since they are the size of small towns. Be a nice gig for when I retire in a few years.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I didn't think they could do CTN's anymore??? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't know that! Why can't they do the cruises to nowhere anymore? I don't think I would want to go on one but it was still an interesting idea to me... lol :) Sorry to change the subject. Also, how terrible if someone was really stabbed on board! I wonder if it was a domestic thing? Ugh....

I didn't know that! Why can't they do the cruises to nowhere anymore?

I believe it is this: If a ship departs a US port and returns to a US port (doesn't have to be same port) without going to any other country, they fall under all US laws, including wages, for example.

So all those lower-paid crew members getting $25/day for a 12-hour day (i.e. barely $2/hr) or whatever would suddenly be eligible for a really big raise...

I believe it is this: If a ship departs a US port and returns to a US port (doesn't have to be same port) without going to any other country, they fall under all US laws, including wages, for example.

So all those lower-paid crew members getting $25/day for a 12-hour day (i.e. barely $2/hr) or whatever would suddenly be eligible for a really big raise...

Wow! I didn't think about it like that. Thanks for the info.

I think I remember that additionally it might have something to do with the type of visas that crew have. Can't remember any specifics and certainly might be wrong.