Word on the Fantasy

GrandmaHofmann

Mobile told Carnival the port would be closed before noon today but we weren't told that the Fantasy would not be sailing tomorrow until 8pm Friday night. We can hang-out in the hurricane until Sunday and see if the port opens. In that case we get a one day refund. If the port does not open, we would sit in the hotel in a perhaps shut down city and get another day lopped off. If you cancel--and I did, you get a cruise credit but you eat your insurance money. I am going to cancel the cruise I had booked for January and never book Carnival again.

I certainly understand your frustration. Unfortunately you take a chance cruising during hurricane season and it has certainly been an active one this year. While I would also be upset with the lack of communication, Carnival did give you a future cruise credit. They were not obligated to do so and I think all the cruise lines are trying to keep passengers happy while scattering ships to avoid the storms. Maybe when you take a few days to digest all that has happened you may realize that never sailing Carnival again would only hurt you since you would give up the cruise credit. Safe travels home and I am sorry this happened to you. My cruises just changed itineraries.

Carnival has never been known for their transparency and communication skills. They handled Harvey pretty well, but since then it just seems like they've given up even trying to communicate. Shameful treatment of their customers. I can't blame anyone for walking away from this trainwreck.

I certainly understand your frustration. Unfortunately you take a chance cruising during hurricane season and it has certainly been an active one this year. While I would also be upset with the lack of communication, Carnival did give you a future cruise credit. They were not obligated to do so and I think all the cruise lines are trying to keep passengers happy while scattering ships to avoid the storms. Maybe when you take a few days to digest all that has happened you may realize that never sailing Carnival again would only hurt you since you would give up the cruise credit. Safe travels home and I am sorry this happened to you. My cruises just changed itineraries.[/quote

Well of course I will use the credit but that's it for me and carnival because of their refusal to let people know what was going on. They could have told us 8 hours earlier and saved people plane tickets and a possibly 2 day stay in the middle of a hurricane.

Mobile told Carnival the port would be closed before noon today but we weren't told that the Fantasy would not be sailing tomorrow until 8pm Friday night. We can hang-out in the hurricane until Sunday and see if the port opens. In that case we get a one day refund. If the port does not open, we would sit in the hotel in a perhaps shut down city and get another day lopped off. If you cancel--and I did, you get a cruise credit but you eat your insurance money. I am going to cancel the cruise I had booked for January and never book Carnival again.

So you cancelled to get a refund not a credit, right?

Then you probably used your insurance to get refunded? So why would they refund insurance?

Maybe I’m missing something, sorry if I am..,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were almost half way there went we got the message about Sunday. Now we don't know what to do today. Some are saying we will leave Monday but Carnival hasn't said that yet. We sure don't what to drive into the hurricane that's for sure.

If you book a cruise during the hurricane season one should be flexible and prepared for change.

Hurricane season 2017 is between June 1 and Nov 30th.

Seriously these type of comments are getting old.

I doubt anyone who would have had a cancelled cruise on a July cruise would have been told this.. even though that would have been hurricane season.

Historically the season peaks September 10th.. historically current cruisers would have been good to go.

I am going to cancel the cruise I had booked for January and never book Carnival again.

Why blame Carnival for the weather? Your next cruise is in January...the end of the season. If they decided to change or postpone the cruise early, you probably would have been mad as well. They can't win.

If you book a cruise during the hurricane season one should be flexible and prepared for change.

You have to love the snarky people on this website. Such warmth, such compassion, such friendliness. We cancelled and took the credit--no refund was offered--and are driving over to WDW and the Halloween party. Is that flexible enough for you, Bunky?

Carnival's lack of communication is unconscionable. They dropped the ball with Irma and Maria. With Nate they didn't even try to pick the ball off the ground. They just turned and walked away.

I believe Carnival waits until they gave more firm and accuracy with the weather. I would think it is easier to change or alter both current sailing and next sailing one time rather than 2-3 times as the forecast changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where all the comments about poor communication come from. First they do not have to cancel the cruise until the day of per the ticket contract nobody reads. Secondly they actually have out many things out there on the website at the top, through John Heald, and emails. John actually posted Wed that the cruises this weekend will be affected in Mobile, New Orleans, and maybe Tampa.

From The ticket contract:

© Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel this contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage and shall thereupon return to the Guest, if the Contract is completely canceled, his Cruise Fare, or, if the Contract is partially canceled, a proportionate part thereof. Under such circumstances, Carnival shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind. In the event a voyage is terminated early due to mechanical failure of the Vessel, Guest is also entitled to transportation to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or Guest’s home city, at Carnival’s discretion and expense, as well as necessary lodging at the unscheduled port of disembarkation, if required, at Carnival’s expense.

If a change in the itinerary is needed due to factors or conditions beyond CARNIVAL'S control, no refund or credit will be made, however, CARNIVAL will make an effort to provide accommodations and services of a comparable quality and standard as set forth in the brochure. Any such change shall not modify the cancellation provisions in the brochure. No credit will be allowed or refund given for any services provided in the brochure should any such services not be utilized by Participants.

While Carnival does not have to really do much, they have with every Hurricane. The number of bad hurricanes this year has severely affected all the cruise lines and their ability to keep regular cruises. Under these circumstances Carnival actually has done an amazing job making sure that customers are taken care of. Of course they will wait until last min as hurricanes change direction and strength. It cost tens of thousands to change ports, or get permission to not go to a port from Gov't. The cancellations and reroutes have cost them tens of millions so why would they not try and communicate? Being frustrated that your cruise is cancelled is normal, but taking it out on Carnival is stupid. BTW all cruise lines do the same thing. People need to understand what can happen and what they agree to. But most feel it won't happen to them and when it does want to take it out on others.

Carnival's lack of communication is unconscionable. They dropped the ball with Irma and Maria. With Nate they didn't even try to pick the ball off the ground. They just turned and walked away.

Clearly a Carnival troll.

Let's see, Carnival is trying to manage a fluid and unknown situation. All the while as they manage customers in a live scenario who are at sea. Further, while working with land-based port officials.

Yup, it's all Carnival's fault. They don't care about anyone but themselves.

Clearly a Carnival troll.

Let's see, Carnival is trying to manage a fluid and unknown situation. All the while as they manage customers in a live scenario who are at sea. Further, while working with land-based port officials.

Yup, it's all Carnival's fault. They don't care about anyone but themselves.

They don’t .. nor should they. They are a for profit business with stockholders to answer to. They want to make money. Period.

However, when your customers are disappointed and dissatisfied they will vote with their feet.. and in this digital age make their voices heard. THIS will effect future profits which should concern the corporation.

They don’t .. nor should they. They are a for profit business with stockholders to answer to. They want to make money. Period.

However, when your customers are disappointed and dissatisfied they will vote with their feet.. and in this digital age make their voices heard. THIS will effect future profits which should concern the corporation.

I'd never want to be your customer.

If I had your attitude running my business I'd be out of business.

Clearly you know nothing of client acquisition costs.

I doubt anyone who would have had a cancelled cruise on a July cruise would have been told this.. even though that would have been hurricane season.

Historically the season peaks September 10th.. historically current cruisers would have been good to go.

The heart of the hurricane season is September and October. This is when cruises are the cheapest. If you book in these months- be prepared for a storm. We have a cruise booked later this month and we are prepared for a change.

And these types of comments are getting even older. While 11 Sep is the historical peak, it's not like the chances diminish greatly on the 12th or 13th or even the 20th. Aug, Sep, and Oct are the peak months and IMO, people should be wary of cruising from the Gulf or Florida during those times. Or, flip a coin and hope for the best but don't get upset when the coin lands on tails and you picked heads.