Rental car advice, Maui and Kauaii

Lucky Granny

We will be on the POA in April. We want to rent a car our second day on Maui and also on Kauaii after our helicopter tour the first day and considering keeping it overnight until the end of the second day. Our question is about renting a car that will be easy to acquire and turn in. Previous posts have indicated the rental car offices move around a bit and transportation to them occasionally changes. Can anyone recommend a brand on either island with offices that would be convenient to get to and back from? And also parking overnight on Kauaii. TIA

If you go to discount Hawaii car rental https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ you can find out prices for each rental agency and whether or not they have a shuttle to/from the port. In our recent experience on the POA, Thrifty had the best prices and had a shuttle.

As far as parking overnight, we purchased a parking pass for $20 at Anchor Cove Shopping Center, 3416 Rice St, 808-246-4422. They also have a free shuttle to the pier 8:30am-9pm.

As to Maui, all but one rental site is at the airport. No avoiding that. The one that is at the airport, but has a closer site, has limitations to hours, so going to the airport is probably your best option. The airport companies have transportation. Haven't heard that has changed.

Cost for Kahalui (Maui) car rentals has gone up for 2018...a lot. It looks like the taxes have been increased to pay for the new, huge parking structure.

We went with Alamo Car Rental on Kauai through Costco Travel. There was no CC deposit just reserve your car. They have a free shuttle that picks you up at the ship and returns you when you drop it off.

Very easy and inexpensive too.

We went with Alamo Car Rental on Kauai through Costco Travel. There was no CC deposit just reserve your car. They have a free shuttle that picks you up at the ship and returns you when you drop it off.

Very easy and inexpensive too.

Maybe I am out of touch...but who requires a CC deposit?We rent 2-4 cars a year. Yes, our CC is on the booking, but, for example we have 3 bookings for 2018 right now, 7 days, 11 days and 21 days. No deposit on any of them.

Maybe I am out of touch...but who requires a CC deposit?We rent 2-4 cars a year. Yes, our CC is on the booking, but, for example we have 3 bookings for 2018 right now, 7 days, 11 days and 21 days. No deposit on any of them.

Maybe I'm the one who is out of touch. I don't rent that many cars. Before this one, we rented one for two weeks for a stay on the Big Island. We had to pay with our CC when we reserved it. But this time, they just reserved it for us and never asked for a CC number at all when we booked. I was just surprised but I guess maybe it's the norm now.

We used the enterprise right by port in Maui. They don’t open until 7 but that worked for us. In Kauai, we rented from enterprise at the Marriott right by port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you walk over or use a shuttle? How was overnight parking? We have a vehicle rented already but this might be easier.

In Kauai, we walked to the Marriott. Even if you took the shuttle it the mall, you still have to walk a short bit to the Marriott. We only used the one day so parked the car in the Marriott lot that night and then put keys in Dropbox for enterprise. I guess We could of kept the keys, used the car in the morning before returning at noon. There was paid overnight parking at the anchor cove shopping center. We only paid like $30 for the rental for the day and were upgraded to a Jeep.

In Maui, we walked as there is no shuttle, it was about 10 minute walk cause you have to go a roundabout way.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the POA Jan6-13th and we rented a large SUV because we were not sure if everyone in our party was wanting to go to a couple of areas we wanted to check out. We rented through Costco (they had the better price and they didn't charge for your spouse to drive). It was through Budget rental. My thoughts/opinion about Budgets are not very favorable. First of all they were not clear where they were going to pick us up at. It was not clear when we came off the ship and asked the crew where rental car place was going pick us up at. We walked through the maze of fencing all the way out to the main drag to the shopping center. We found out after asking the crew again and they said that they would pick us up right off the ship. (That was irritation #1) The shuttle had taken us to the satellite to pick up the vehicle....there was only 1 other couple in front of us so it didn't take very long to get checked in. BUT after that we ended up waiting almost 45 mins for them to wash etc the vehicle. (irritation #2) After waiting quite a while (watching the rooster make a nest under someone's wheel well we asked one of the ladies working there if they knew what was taking so long and she stated that "I don't know." and continued walking on. So the customer service leaves little to be desired at Budget. When we brought the vehicle back the gentleman behind the counter was pleasant and there were no problems turning the vehicle in early.

We originally were going to have the vehicle until the following day but due to a change in an excursion the following day we didn't want to have to deal with rushing back to turn in the vehicle before the ship left. I had heard that people have parked their rental over near the shopping center on the main drag not too far the port. Other wise you make possibly get the vehicle towed. I was talking to one of the drivers and I found out that long's drugs sells parking for $10 a day. I didn't partake of this but it could be an option. I hope this works out for you.

Absolutely not true. Long's does not own the property and would have no authority to sell parking.

Thanks Silver! This is what is great about CC. You hear different things from drivers people along your travels and sometimes can and cannot believe what everyone says. I would be apprehensive about parking a rental car in a shopping center because that one decision can put a damper on a trip (having vehicle towed). The safest bet would be to park it at the airport and pick it back up the next day.

Absolutely not true. Long's does not own the property and would have no authority to sell parking.

Maybe the driver’s buddy was collecting $10 for parking & then using his towing service to remove cars. ;p

As Droop wrote, a healthy dose of skepticism is essential when reading anything. The question about Kahului overnight parking is often discussed & going to the airport is the only safe option for anyone who does not want to risk having their trip ruined by a towed vehicle. Even if someone once got away with parking elsewhere that doesn’t mean anyone else won’t have their rental car towed.

Not that locals anywhere in the world have all of the answers but some of us including Silver Sweethearts are willing to share our local Maui experiences. ;)

We also rented a car in Kauai for the day when on the January 6-13 POA cruise. We rented from Thrifty, online, using an AAA/CAA discount code. Quick pickup from the pier to the airport to rent, quick rental, easy return, quick shuttle back to pier. Rental cost was $50 for the day for an intermediate size car.

Every bit of information I can find indicates that most rental car offices close early, like 5 to 8 pm. We were considering keeping our rental car overnight in Kauaii so we wouldn't have an early deadline to meet. But we apparently can't avoid that if we are dependent on the shuttle and the airport parking service to leave the car. Can anyone shed light on this matter? Apparently, Hawaii is enjoyed in the daytime when you can see the beautiful sights, not after dark. We just don't want to have to head back to the ship as early as 3 pm, since we won't get the car until after our helicopter tour in the morning.

Every bit of information I can find indicates that most rental car offices close early, like 5 to 8 pm. We were considering keeping our rental car overnight in Kauaii so we wouldn't have an early deadline to meet. But we apparently can't avoid that if we are dependent on the shuttle and the airport parking service to leave the car. Can anyone shed light on this matter? Apparently, Hawaii is enjoyed in the daytime when you can see the beautiful sights, not after dark. We just don't want to have to head back to the ship as early as 3 pm, since we won't get the car until after our helicopter tour in the morning.

Like at Kahului Maui, the Lihue Kauai rental car agencies I checked at the airport are open until about 11:00 PM.

It doesn’t show the shuttle’s hours which might have more limited hours of operation between the airport & the ship.

Apparently, Hawaii is enjoyed in the daytime when you can see the beautiful sights, not after dark./quote]

Right you are in reference to the outer islands. We find quiet nights part of the beauty of our home. That said, you can park at the public lot at Kahului Airport (Maui) any time you want and take a cab to the ship (only a few miles away).

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently, Hawaii is enjoyed in the daytime when you can see the beautiful sights, not after dark./quote]

Right you are in reference to the outer islands. We find quiet nights part of the beauty of our home. That said, you can park at the public lot at Kahului Airport (Maui) any time you want and take a cab to the ship (only a few miles away).

How far is the airport from the ship. We are only there for one day and don't want to waste many hours traveling to and from the airport. Do you know if there is an after hours drop off for any of the rental car agencies? Thanks

How far is the airport from the ship. We are only there for one day and don't want to waste many hours traveling to and from the airport. Do you know if there is an after hours drop off for any of the rental car agencies? Thanks

You need to specify where exactly you are referring to. If you are talking about Kahalui, almost all car rental operations are at the airport, (just a 10 minute drive)have shuttles, and are open more hours than you will need.

But if you are asking about Lahaina, hours there will be limited, rental places are much further away, and don't have shuttles.

EDIT: Silver Sweethearts, some how this quote got attributed to you...don't know how. I know you know this info. Sorry!

[You need to specify where exactly you are referring to. If you are talking about Kahalui, almost all car rental operations are at the airport, (just a 10 minute drive)have shuttles, and are open more hours than you will need.

But if you are asking about Lahaina, hours there will be limited, rental places are much further away, and don't have shuttles.

EDIT: Silver Sweethearts, some how this quote got attributed to you...don't know how. I know you know this info. Sorry!

Bruce...apparently that happened when the previous post accidentally had Silver Sweethearts in their quote which I deleted as a result of your experience.

Most of the one day visits to Maui seem to be in Lahaina & as you posted rental cars are limited & thus are more expensive & don’t provide shuttles to rental offices.

Most of the one day visits to Maui seem to be in Lahaina & as you posted rental cars are limited & thus are more expensive & don’t provide shuttles to rental offices.

I agree...although I know a couple of other ships dock from time to time at Kahalui. But the majority of posters not familiar with Maui think there is just one port. But you, Silver Sweethearts and I know better!!!:D;)

Just 21 days until we land in Paradise again! Would you tell the whales to take a couple weeks off, so they are very energetic when we get there?

I agree...although I know a couple of other ships dock from time to time at Kahalui. But the majority of posters not familiar with Maui think there is just one port. But you, Silver Sweethearts and I know better!!!:D;)

Just 21 days until we land in Paradise again! Would you tell the whales to take a couple weeks off, so they are very energetic when we get there?

Have a good journey back to Maui & will communicate your requests to the koholas when it’s safe to snorkel. ;)

Pacific Whale Foundation has a map for sightings (https://www.pacificwhale.org/research/hawaii-wdt-sightings-map/?mc_cid=f2110f715c&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D) & also an app.

Wave to us as you drive past our little hale if you’re in South Maui.

• 2 months later...
In Kauai, we walked to the Marriott. Even if you took the shuttle it the mall, you still have to walk a short bit to the Marriott. We only used the one day so parked the car in the Marriott lot that night and then put keys in Dropbox for enterprise. I guess We could of kept the keys, used the car in the morning before returning at noon. There was paid overnight parking at the anchor cove shopping center. We only paid like $30 for the rental for the day and were upgraded to a Jeep.

In Maui, we walked as there is no shuttle, it was about 10 minute walk cause you have to go a roundabout way.

Just wondering if there is a dropbox at the location in Maui by the pier and where do you park if you do two day rental?