crusing the Greek islands

daisylover

Hi, Cruising Rhoades, Crete, Santorini, Mikonos, and Kotor, Montenegro,, I would like to know what tours you would recommend or just walking on your own. Have been to Santorini and Mikonos and just went on our own. What are you thoughts? Thanks

Hi, Cruising Rhoades, Crete, Santorini, Mikonos, and Kotor, Montenegro,, I would like to know what tours you would recommend or just walking on your own. Have been to Santorini and Mikonos and just went on our own. What are you thoughts? Thanks

Suggest you read posts in the Greek Islands forum. Go to Ports of Call, Europe, Greece. Lots of help there.

Also, find out what folks in your Roll Call are planning.

Which port in Crete? Chania? We loved that port. We just took the bus that stops at the port and takes you into town. We walked around the old town and had lunch in the Venetian Harbour. We loved Crete so much we spent a week there last year and we have 11 nights there late this year.

Rhodes, Chania (if that is your port on Crete) and Kotor are easily DIY and extremely interesting especially if you have done your research in advance. Make sure you are up on deck for sail in and/or sail out from Kotor; it is beautiful. If you are interested in biking, 5 out of 6 of our traveling party last fall did a round the bay bike ride in Kotor with Kotor Bay Tours (http://www.kotorbaytours.com/tour-de-bay-with-bikes). No one else signed up that day so they had a private tour with good equipment and an easy (only 1 hill) 27 mile ride around the bay. Years ago we spent a week on Crete. If you port in Heraklion and are interested in ancient civilizations, I highly recommend an excursion to the Palace of Knossos. There are also a number of excellent museums in Heraklion.

If you have time on Mykonos go to Delos if you like ancient history.

Delos is a fantastic tour with a guide to help explain it all. We also did tours on Santorini and Mykonos which left about 2 hrs to explore the port areas on our own I don't think we would have gotten around the isles as far as we did if we hadn't a tour to take us around the islands.

I'm all for doing independent tours and exploring by ourselves, but only in ports that we have good or prior knowledge of the isles. When first timing, we don't mind the added cost or increased size of the organized ship's tour.

I live in Crete, and agree that Chania is a beautiful town to visit. The Capital of Crete, is Heraklion, about midway on the north coast. It is also a great place to visit, and is where Knossos the Minoan King's Palace, the Cretan archeological museum, and some of the most beautiful beaches in the Med are located. Personally, almost anywhere in Crete is just amazing.

Mykonos is for beaching it, and perhaps a visit to a small island close by, Delos. Santorini is going to be crowded, no matter what. I think your best bet there is a ship's excursion if you've never been there before.

Montenegro, one thing I can't stress enough is to be awake early that morning, find a vantage point somewhere on or near the bow of the ship, and bring your camera! Kotor is at the end of a very long fjord. Either side of the passage is lined with mountains, getting higher and higher are you get closer to town. Its a very special passage, so stake out you turf early.;)

I live in Crete, and agree that Chania is a beautiful town to visit. The Capital of Crete, is Heraklion, about midway on the north coast. It is also a great place to visit, and is where Knossos the Minoan King's Palace, the Cretan archeological museum, and some of the most beautiful beaches in the Med are located. Personally, almost anywhere in Crete is just amazing.

Mykonos is for beaching it, and perhaps a visit to a small island close by, Delos. Santorini is going to be crowded, no matter what. I think your best bet there is a ship's excursion if you've never been there before.

Montenegro, one thing I can't stress enough is to be awake early that morning, find a vantage point somewhere on or near the bow of the ship, and bring your camera! Kotor is at the end of a very long fjord. Either side of the passage is lined with mountains, getting higher and higher are you get closer to town. Its a very special passage, so stake out you turf early.;)

I apologize for a mistake in my text, it should have read "I lived in Crete". Although I still return to visit, I was stationed there with the U.S. Air Force.;)