Strange things on a cruise

Ken Greco

We were on a month long cruise to the South Pacific. On a cruise that long we try to walk the deck daily for exercise. We usually do enough laps to equal three miles. Good, sweaty exercise. On the first day we saw a woman also exercising. She was distinctive as she had flowered long pants on with a plaid shirt and a different type sweater ? Kind of a warm outfit for exercising. She was out there when we started and still there when we left. We saw her exercising every day we were out there. She wore this outfit everyday. It wouldn’t have been bad except we would see her all day and evening in the same outfit. I came to the conclusion that her luggage had probably been misplaced and would arrive at first port of call. Not sure if it ever did as she wore this outfit daily...for exercising and all other activities, Even to dining room. Glad we did not have a seat next to her as I am sure the outfit was “ripe”.

Many, many moons ago,I think it was 1972, on TSS Reina del Mar (My namesake) I saw a crew member being rescued by ship's lifeboat, after having jumped into the ocean, thinking he was going for a swim !!! Not sure whether drink or drugs was involved. I have photos to prove his rescue...didn't see him jump..just heard the 'Man Overboard' announcement. The story went that he was taken to the 'isolation hospital' aboard.

Many, many moons ago,I think it was 1972, on TSS Reina del Mar (My namesake) I saw a crew member being rescued by ship's lifeboat, after having jumped into the ocean, thinking he was going for a swim !!! Not sure whether drink or drugs was involved. I have photos to prove his rescue...didn't see him jump..just heard the 'Man Overboard' announcement. The story went that he was taken to the 'isolation hospital' aboard.

Wow, that must have been traumatic to see, but thankfully he was rescued!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, that must have been traumatic to see, but thankfully he was rescued!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was 16 at the time and failed to realise the seriousness of the situation. Was a Med cruise, last week July first week of August, Four ports in a fortnight. Ship tied up in every port..no tenders.

A crowd of us teenagers were playing bingo at about 4pm when the 'Man overboard' announcement was made. We all checked our families were safe then raced to watch the ship turn around, lower a lifeboat and eventually pick up the crew member and numerous life preserver rings which had been thrown overboard in attempts to 'mark the spot' .

A man between 50-60 years was dragged aboard the lifeboat and wrapped in blankets. He was relieved of his duties and put in the isolation hospital...ship speak for jail and put off the ship for good at Southampton!

Looking at the photos, as an adult makes me realise just how traumatic it all was and how lucky he was to be rescued.!