Quebec City - Canadian Thanksgiving - Hotel booking ?

EasyReader

My family and I will be cruising aboard the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas, disembarking at QC on October 8. My dad thought it would be nice for us to spend the day in QC after the cruise and fly out the next afternoon.

Canadian Thanksgiving happens to fall on October 8 this year. We tried booking at various hotels online and were having issues. The last one being the Hotel du Vieux-Quebec. They have the 3 rooms we'll need, but unfortunately were told on the phone that we aren't able to make a booking for that evening without committing to a 3 night stay due to the holiday.

I know that it is a holiday in Canada, and most people get the day off. Will shops and restaurants still be open, or would it be a better idea to just adjust our departing flight tickets to leave on that day vs. spending the night in QC?

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac has rooms available for one night that night. As is the Marriott and the Delta. You have plenty of one night options on the 8th without a minimum stay.

You’re also pretty far out. If you’re set on that one hotel with a minimum stay book another hotel that’s available now, make sure they have a reasonable cancellation policy, and try booking your preferred hotel closer to the date when they give up on the minimum stay requirement.

Thanks for all the responses!

We'll check with the cruise line and also keep an eye on the hotels. I told my dad we're very far out for booking, but he's the type who wants to have everything buttoned up and checked off on his list way in advance.

My vote was also for the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, but for 3 rooms, it's quite a chunk of change.

• 3 weeks later...

Our experience with Canadian Thanksgiving ... was that everything was SLAMMED. The most incredible traffic ... crowds and some closures. There is no way I would book a cruise that intersects with Canadian Thanksgiving. You live and learn.