Car Service Recommendation London

Susie B.

Our trip has been delayed a day and Smith’s is now unavailable to take us to our hotel in London from Heathrow. I’ve had no luck checking with others (due to demand) Any recommendations? Is taxi service a viable alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Smiths was not a great choice to start with as they are based 80 miles away in Southampton. Do not use a taxi (black cab) as they are twice the cost of one booked in advance.

Blackberry are often recommended here but you could just Google (other search engines are available) for 'Heathrow taxi' and take pot luck.

Public transport is a viable alternative - coach or train to Victoria or train to Paddington. Come back here or search the forum for more details

Our family just used Blackberry from LHR to London hotel....great service !

Also Smith's For Airports was used from hotel to Southampton and back to LHR...again great service.

This was what was suggested from the experts on this board and it worked out great !

We had very good experience with Blackberry. Used them twice during our trip, from LHR to hotel in London and then from London to Southampton. Drivers and vehicles were excellent. Very easy to use web site and confirmation came quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Postal Codes (usually Postcodes) are like zip codes in the US.
UK postcodes are actually very specific. A hotel may well have its own unique postcode; even if it doesn't, the postcode is likely to be shared by a small number of delivery points, perhaps up to a dozen at most. So a postcode is a very good way of locating a specific point.

As others have said, there are lots of recommendations here for the usual suspects for airport transfers. All the regular ones are likely to be pretty much as good as each other, hence I don't normally push the company that I use.

We recommend Simply Airports. We've used them twice for transit from London and LHR to Southampton. They also took us from our London hotel to visit cousin south of London. We had good clean cars with excellent drivers for all of our trips. We'll be using them again for our transfer to Southampton for our Royal Princess TA next month.

• 3 weeks later...
As others have said, there are lots of recommendations here for the usual suspects for airport transfers. All the regular ones are likely to be pretty much as good as each other, hence I don't normally push the company that I use.
I had an interesting occurrence this week. I called the company that I use to book a car for a transfer to Heathrow. For the first time, they said that they were fully booked and couldn't take my booking. However, they immediately recommended one of the other usual suspects, providing the relevant telephone number - which turned up and collected equally efficiently and promptly.

In June we used Blackberry for the transfer from Heathrow to our hotel in London. They were very accommodating. We had a very tight schedule to get from the hotel to a foodie tour we had booked, and the driver waited while we dropped our bags at the hotel (we didn’t take time to check in) and then he whisked us off to meet up with our tour group. We made it in plenty of time. I would definitely use Blackberry again!

In June we used Blackberry for the transfer from Heathrow to our hotel in London. They were very accommodating. We had a very tight schedule to get from the hotel to a foodie tour we had booked, and the driver waited while we dropped our bags at the hotel (we didn’t take time to check in) and then he whisked us off to meet up with our tour group. We made it in plenty of time. I would definitely use Blackberry again!

Glad that worked out for you - I remember discussing it on another thread [emoji846]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Gett app is sort of like Uber for taxis, you set up an account and then you can book and pay, including tip through the app with a credit card. It shows how far your taxi is from you. We used it several times in London and it was very efficient, not sure what the fare would be from Heathrow might not be competitive with car service. Train from Heathrow is definitely the cheapest if that works with your hotel location.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

I have a few questions as this will be my first time in London.  Are we expected to tip the Limo Service?  What is the best way to exchange American dollars prior to arriving in London?

for taxis common to just round it to nearest £

if a long journey possibly £5 bearing in mind fare already calculated and unless driver very informative etc just a transfer service

ATMs are usually best way to get currency but avoid airport ones as awful transaction rates

we do have American friends who bring along dollars in cash and exchange for pounds as they go

in this case find a high street travel agent which nearly all have currency exchange desks-that's usually how we Brits get our holiday currency as no one else in the world takes British pounds[except Gibraltar]

2 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

for taxis common to just round it to nearest £

if a long journey possibly £5 bearing in mind fare already calculated and unless driver very informative etc just a transfer service

ATMs are usually best way to get currency but avoid airport ones as awful transaction rates

we do have American friends who bring along dollars in cash and exchange for pounds as they go

in this case find a high street travel agent which nearly all have currency exchange desks-that's usually how we Brits get our holiday currency as no one else in the world takes British pounds[except Gibraltar]

So, yes tip?

Thank you for the info.  WE Wil try and get some pounds  prior to getting to London or can we use credit card for taxi's etc.

We were extremely happy with the service from English Rose Collection.

Our flight into LHR was delayed and we contacted the company.  Our designated driver, Peter, promptly responded to our email and provided his phone number....and he patiently waited for us even longer as the Immigration/Customs queue took over 2 hours.  Our service was from LHR to Southampton...Peter was truly engaging making the drive to the cruise terminal seemingly short.  And oh, their prices are reasonable.

http://englishrosecollection.co.uk/

I've been looking at pre-booking a private transfer from Heathrow to Central London for an incoming flight from Denver that is scheduled to arrive at 11:35 AM.  I've done a couple of mock bookings with some of the companies mentioned in this thread and they want to know how soon after touchdown do I want to be picked up.  And that's my problem, because I've never been to Heathrow and I don't know how long the process is there of claiming luggage, and going through passport control and customs.

Can anyone offer any guidance?  I know there is always the possibility of delays (took us 2-1/2 miserable hours to get through Cancun passport control 2 weeks ago because some system was down) but what might a 'normal' amount of time be?  Or more importantly, what should I put down on the booking request?

Thanks.