Those familiar with Heathrow... Question on bathrooms

My dad is handicapped and requires assistance when going to the restroom. Looks like American Airlines arrives in Terminal 3 around gate 30 each day. When looking at the map, I do not see handicapped restrooms til you get downstairs. Is this correct? Do they truly have no handicapped restrooms in the gate area?

How far is it from the gates to the customs/immigration area where there are handicapped restrooms, and do you have to go through those before you can access them?

Appreciate the help, trying to be prepared for when my dad needs it.

Thanks!

I asked my husband, he tells me you cannot tell from the airport map online whether there are accessible toilets before immigration, immigration can have long queues at Heathrow. I would strongly suggest two things, firstly try to go before the plane lands (if he can, I am assuming your airline has disabled loos), secondly, book wheelchair assistance and do not get off the plane before it arrives. Heathrow is notorious for poor assistance. The wheelchair assistance should be able to get you to the first suitable loo, they can go the back ways and should also get you through immigration faster.

On a supplementary note, while we don’t know the specifics in the case of Heathrow , Edinburgh airport which we know well, has no loos before immigration. Glasgow airport does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would strongly suggest two things, firstly try to go before the plane lands (if he can, I am assuming your airline has disabled loos), secondly, book wheelchair assistance and do not get off the plane before it arrives. Heathrow is notorious for poor assistance.

Funny you should mention that, because I cannot find anywhere on the American Airlines site that tells me if the bathrooms onboard are handicapped accessible.

According to the information for disabled passengers, Facilities at Terminal 3 are only located after passing through immigration.

Arrivals, Ground Floor: Toilets with baby care and disabled facilities are located in the baggage reclaim opposite Carousel 4 and 9. Also available in the public area of the arrivals concourse, on the side nearest Arrivals and furthest away from the public entrance.

Note that assistance at the airport is provided by the airline, so you should book that with AA. You may have to wait for it, but you may well jump the queue at immigration.

Edited by Bob++