London for a first Timer.

Before we go too far off josephml1's question, which was about Michelin-starred restaurants, it's worth identifying that Benares (Atul Kochhar's restaurant) falls within that category but none of the others do.

Whoops. I think I took us off on that tangent. The original question was on the previous page when I asked about a totally different Indian restaurant!

That sounds pretty tight, but some clarification needed:

- crucially what day of the week? You’ll be in rush hour traffic on a working day - current Google map estimate of LHR T3 to Marble Arch is 1 hour 10 minutes (7-50 am on Wednesday), for example.

- by “hired a car” I assume you mean a car service with driver (“hire car” often means “rental car” in British English usage)

In any case, are you coming off an overnight flight? You seem to have no time to freshen up, get changed etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this insight - I now realize how overly optimistic I was being, having planned a tour at 10:30am on the same day that we land (from the US) at 8:35am. I have no idea why I thought we'd be able to clear customs, get our luggage, get to our hotel (with a car service) and get to Leicester Square from Hyde Park.

I've readjusted my expectations now - thanks! :D

Please don't keep bumping your own thread. CC specifically asks that you don't do this:-

Bumping

Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "bumping" topics to the top of the forum. Members will assume something of value has been posted, only to find that the newest posting is nothing more than a "bump post". This only wastes everyone's time.

The Brass Rail, on the ground floor? I used to go there a reasonable amount - always loved it. Need to go back more often!

That’s the one. Likewise, can’t remember the last time I was in there. Not massively convenient for the North Cotswolds, of course.

Also used to enjoy the salt beef at Spreads down in clubland on Pall Mall. Not sure it’s still there, though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is salt beef similar to corned beef (as served in the USA) or is it more like pastrami?
A quick dig on Wikipedia suggests that our salt beef is what the US knows as corned beef. We have something called corned beef, but it looks like the US calls it bully beef; and it also looks like pastrami is pastrami on both sides of the Atlantic.

New question:

Only shot at afternoon tea in London, price can be flexible, caveat is that tea will be a light dinner before the theater and we are seeing Hamilton at the Victoria Palace I think - where would people recommend. I do want it to be elegant and special, but something about the description of tea at the Ritz makes me think that might not be it...

Only shot at afternoon tea in London, price can be flexible, caveat is that tea will be a light dinner before the theater and we are seeing Hamilton at the Victoria Palace I think - where would people recommend. I do want it to be elegant and special, but something about the description of tea at the Ritz makes me think that might not be it...
You might try this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2477167

Using credit cards in Europe.

Can anyone explain to me what the card is with the three wavy lines on it. I have all chip and pin cards. Will that present a problem or a hassle?

Using credit cards in Europe.

Can anyone explain to me what the card is with the three wavy lines on it. I have all chip and pin cards. Will that present a problem or a hassle?

That's probably a contactless card. You can use it in the UK for travel on TFL (Tube, buses, etc.), and for purchases of £30 or less. Chip and pin works great. Chip and sign (US standard) will work for most purchases. Any card should perform as contactless in Apple Pay or Google Pay on your smart phone.