Southampton to London - Time to Schedule Bus?

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest what time would be safe to book a bus from Southampton port to London? Our cruise gets in around 5AM - I'm not sure what time it would disembark? Usually we do the early walk-off with carry-on luggage, but do like to eat first.

I'm looking at booking National Express. They have busses that leave every hour. I was thinking either 8:50 AM or 9:50AM bus would be safe?

Also, has anyone been to Southampton before? I've read that the busses don't come directly to the station and require a taxi ride? Does anyone know the approximate cost of that and time to get from port to bus? Thanks!

Even though the ship gets in at 5am, you won't be getting off until at least 6:30am and probably nearer 7am, so assume its 7am. Immigration and customs are normally more or less non existent at Southampton, so if you walk off at 7, you should be outside by 0720. Taxis will be waiting. Its a 5 minute ride for £7 to the coach station, so I think if 0850 works for you, go for that. Similarly, if you want a bit more time and 0950 works for you, go for that. You must pre book the coach as it will be very popular. If you are on RCI, Celeb or NCL you will come into City Cruise terminal which is about a 15 min walk to the coach station...anywhere else, definately grab a cab. So you can get your bearings, look at this map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/City+Cruise+Terminal/50.9059776,-1.4092327/@50.9026285,-1.4162601,1065m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x2e8004abdbec5986!2m2!1d-1.4141004!2d50.9000994!1m0!3e2

I've just put City Cruise terminal and the bus station in so they show up at either end of the blue line...this is not the actual route you would walk! We can tell you that if you need to know.

Simon

Thank you so much - this is very helpful! I completely forgot about customs, so thanks for clearing that up!

I'm coming on a Princess ship - do they usually stop in the same area in the port?

Princess normally use either the Mayflower or Ocean terminal. The Mayflower terminal is where it says 'Southampton Port' on the map and the Ocean terminal is over on the right below the National Oceanography Centre.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

I will be using Southampton in May on RC. I have seen the bus prices to be pretty cheap, I know rail is a bit more expensive but seems to be much quicker. Anyone use rail instead of the bus?

Also, for either how far in advance should I book the tickets? Don't think the May schedule is out yet for either.

I will be using Southampton in May on RC. I have seen the bus prices to be pretty cheap, I know rail is a bit more expensive but seems to be much quicker. Anyone use rail instead of the bus?

Also, for either how far in advance should I book the tickets? Don't think the May schedule is out yet for either.

I see Simon is back amongst us. ;)

Can't disagree with anything he says (but mebbe I'll be luckier next time :D )

Bus schedule for May is out.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

The 07.30 bus would be far too risky. Book the 08.40 at £12, or the 09.50 at half that fare. Journey time 2.5hrs

Best to book reasonably far in advance, they do sell-out.

Book from Southampton coach station to London Victoria coach station.

Do check their luggage limits if you plan to bring a mountain of luggage.

Train schedule is out to part-way through May, prospects are that the rest of the month will be exactly the same (but for research do choose the same day-of-the-week)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Three to four direct trains per hour. so with luggage it's easiest to ignore those which involve a change of train.

No need to pre-book, but I don't know if its a little more expensive to buy at the station.

Bear in mind that trains at that time in the morning will be busy with commuters and business people heading to London, that can be no fun with luggage or if you have to stand.

At £41 it's twice the cost of the bus, but gets you there in 90 minutes.

There are no cheap megatrain tickets to London until gone noon, and the saving won't be worth that wasted time.

Your journey is from Southampton central station to London Waterloo. There's also an hourly direct service to London Victoria train station, but it takes a longer route, journey time about 2.5 hours.

Check those trains closer to the time - there's been talk of a rival operator for the Southampton - Waterloo route, which might bring down the prices.

Both bus and train stations are a 15 min walk or a £6 taxi ride from RCI's terminal, City Cruise Terminal.

Bus or train, each to their own.

JB :)

"I see Simon is back amongst us."

I've never been away!, its just since you retired I never get a chance to reply!!:D:D;););)

The only thing I'd add is that using the coach or train can depend on where you are going. Going to LHR, use the coach as there is no direct train. Going to Waterloo area use the train; going to Victoria area, use the coach or the train (assuming Southern aren't still on strike!!). When you know where you are going, we can help a bit more.

Simon

"I see Simon is back amongst us."

I've never been away!, its just since you retired I never get a chance to reply!!:D:D;););)

The only thing I'd add is that using the coach or train can depend on where you are going. Going to LHR, use the coach as there is no direct train. Going to Waterloo area use the train; going to Victoria area, use the coach or the train (assuming Southern aren't still on strike!!). When you know where you are going, we can help a bit more.

Simon

Well I already have my hotels booked. Again both trips to and from Southampton are on Saturdays, and we will likely not have much luggage.

The night before the cruise we are staying at The Grand at Trafalgar Square so we will be departing from there Saturday morning to Southampton. Then we are staying the the night we get back into the U.K. at the Crowne Plaza London-London City.

My first thoughts were to take an uber/taxi to the train and just take the train over to Southampton, it seems the best way to make the most of our short time in the area. Especially on the return as I really want to use that Saturday afternoon for time to see London. I have not been to London in over 10 years and it will be my wife's first time there. We arrive around 9:00am on Friday morning, so planning on spending Friday and Friday night to take a look around as well.

Well I already have my hotels booked. Again both trips to and from Southampton are on Saturdays, and we will likely not have much luggage.

The night before the cruise we are staying at The Grand at Trafalgar Square so we will be departing from there Saturday morning to Southampton. Then we are staying the the night we get back into the U.K. at the Crowne Plaza London-London City.

My first thoughts were to take an uber/taxi to the train and just take the train over to Southampton, it seems the best way to make the most of our short time in the area. Especially on the return as I really want to use that Saturday afternoon for time to see London. I have not been to London in over 10 years and it will be my wife's first time there. We arrive around 9:00am on Friday morning, so planning on spending Friday and Friday night to take a look around as well.

Gotta get my response in ahead of Simon :p

Both hotels are only a 20 minute walk from Waterloo station if you can handle the luggage and the weather & want to skip the cab ride.

To Southampton pre-book for one of the limited number of trains offered on the https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx website, available from about 6 weeks out..

But to London megatrain tickets aren't available in the morning, so you'll have to bite the bullet and pay full fares.

Gotta get my response in ahead of Simon :p

Both hotels are only a 20 minute walk from Waterloo station if you can handle the luggage and the weather & want to skip the cab ride.

To Southampton pre-book for one of the limited number of trains offered on the https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx website, available from about 6 weeks out..

But to London megatrain tickets aren't available in the morning, so you'll have to bite the bullet and pay full fares.

Yep, can't argue with that synopsis!

Simon

• 1 year later...
I'm coming on a Queen Mary 2 - do they usually stop in the same area in the port?

If you click on the map in my post 2 and go south east a bit, you will see a Princess ship at the Ocean cruise terminal. Thats where Cunard normally dock. Definately need a cab to train or bus station. Just as an update, the cheap megatrain fares are no longer available.

Simon

I'm coming on a Queen Mary 2 - do they usually stop in the same area in the port?

Cunard normally berth in the old docks, at Ocean Terminal or QE11 terminal

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

From Ocean Terminal it's possible to walk to the train or coach station in 25 to 30 minutes. It's all level ground, and there are traffic lights to help you to cross the couple of busy roads. But if time or weather aren't on your side, or if you just can't be bothered to walk, a taxi from the rank at the terminal will cost only about £8.

QE11 Terminal is in the same general area but deep in the docks and starts with a 15 minute walk on a docks road with heavy truck traffic and in places only a yellow-painted line separating sidewalk from roadway. So for safety as well as convenience, take a taxi from the rank.

BTW, no fear of taxi drivers refusing a short journey - they're obliged to accept any journey and almost all their fares are for city destinations - hotels, coach station, train station, etc. If a driver is asked to take someone to London, he'll think all his Christmases have come at once - for that sort of distance passengers pre-book a transfer service rather than hailing a metered taxi.

Another BTW - this is an old thread. Ignore previous references to Megatrain tickets - the rail franchisee changed a year or so ago and cheap Megatrain tickets are no longer available.

Thank you sddsddean. Already pre book the train at 9.30 departure to Waterloo train station. Assuming I walk off by 7.15 am there should not have a long queue for taxi, we should be at the Southampton train by 8.00 am or before. Would you know if it is possible to buy Oysters card at Southampton train station.

Just a quick question about the senior fare option for National Express. There appears to be a £2 difference in the cost. We are coming in from the US, but I am doing some very early research since our trip is not until July, 2019. Is the senior rate available to US citizens? Thanks in advance for your response.

We plan to fly in and spend a day before the cruise exploring Southampton, and then spend at least 3 days post cruise exploring London.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a quick question about the senior fare option for National Express. There appears to be a £2 difference in the cost. We are coming in from the US, but I am doing some very early research since our trip is not until July, 2019. Is the senior rate available to US citizens? Thanks in advance for your response.

We plan to fly in and spend a day before the cruise exploring Southampton, and then spend at least 3 days post cruise exploring London.

Think so, you may just have to show evidence. ie. Passport.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

I've just had a good look through the T&C's and can't find anything that says you have to be a UK citizen or anything. Might be worth an e mail just to check...e mail form on this page https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/contact .

Simon

Thanks for the contact. I will drop them an email and report back what they have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've just had a good look through the T&C's and can't find anything that says you have to be a UK citizen or anything. Might be worth an e mail just to check...e mail form on this page https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/contact .

Simon

I am just reporting back on the senior fares for National Express. I sent them an email inquiry, and expected an email response. I was surprised when I saw an incoming call from the UK today, and they were calling with a response to my inquiry.

The basic information they provided was that the senior rate for a National Express transport from either Heathrow or Gatwick airport was for UK residents. The lady I spoke with did say that you could, however, order a senior coach card. Although she quoted £10 for the card, it shows up as £12.50 +£2.50 p&p online. Evidently, the card is good for a year, and will save 1/3 off the full fare price. It may be a good deal if you are spending a lot of time in the UK. She said it was available to anyone 60+, and not just UK citizens.

Is it easy to get a black cab from Waterloo train Station to go to Crowne Plaza King Cross? Will 2 mid luggages fit?

Yes, very easy and the luggage should fit. The basic fare is around £18 but they charge extra for luggage.