Ballroom dancing on Westerdam

twodjs

We recently completed a 19-day Hawaii roundtrip from San Diego. Loved BB King. BUT, a venue dedicated to big band swing, fox trot, cha-cha, was non-existent. Huge mistake for HAL, especially considering the musical tastes of the majority of guests on this longer cruise. The 10 am "coffee with the cruise director" featuring heads of the departments in the main theater was extremely painful at times, but I agree with the music complainers. The remodel eliminated the dance floor in the Ocean Bar, and many used to enjoy dancing prior to dinner. May I offer a constructive suggestion? Instead of "Ben plays the hits" at 4 pm in the Queen's Lounge, market the space differently. Turn the Queen's Lounge into the Queen's Ballroom between 4 and 6 every evening (market it as such), play ONLY music from the 40s, 50s and early 60s (focused on swing, fox trot, etc), play it at a reasonable sound level so that talking is still possible and make one of the happy hour venues the bar in the Queen's Lounge. So simple with no additional cost for HAL, and many more smiles on the ship. What do you think?

Since the Ocean Bar is no longer conducive to dancing those types you mention, your proposal sounds like a good idea to me. My only problem with it is for us late diners there is still no dance music for our cocktail hour. I think HAL has really "goofed" on the changes and have often vocalized on the subject.

Sad to hear.

It wasn't that long ago that we danced in the Crow's Nest for the Black and White ball and had a blast.

I don't mind changes, but I hate the ones that don't make sense ;) :eek:

OP

I like your suggestion.

We have sailed several 21 day repositioning cruises on the Westerdam and our cruise in 2016 lacked a lot of things -- one being absolutely no music in the evenings in the Ocean Bar (dance floor still there at that time) because The Band had to be the music for the shows in the Show Lounge. No dancing at all.

• 2 months later...

We would love a place to dance just as you describe!!! :D

We recently completed a 19-day Hawaii roundtrip from San Diego. Loved BB King. BUT, a venue dedicated to big band swing, fox trot, cha-cha, was non-existent. Huge mistake for HAL, especially considering the musical tastes of the majority of guests on this longer cruise. The 10 am "coffee with the cruise director" featuring heads of the departments in the main theater was extremely painful at times, but I agree with the music complainers. The remodel eliminated the dance floor in the Ocean Bar, and many used to enjoy dancing prior to dinner. May I offer a constructive suggestion? Instead of "Ben plays the hits" at 4 pm in the Queen's Lounge, market the space differently. Turn the Queen's Lounge into the Queen's Ballroom between 4 and 6 every evening (market it as such), play ONLY music from the 40s, 50s and early 60s (focused on swing, fox trot, etc), play it at a reasonable sound level so that talking is still possible and make one of the happy hour venues the bar in the Queen's Lounge. So simple with no additional cost for HAL, and many more smiles on the ship. What do you think?

Thanks for alerting us to this change. I go on cruises primarily for the convenience of being able to dance every evening to live music, preferably with friends along, and for an excellent quality buffet. If I could not dance the calories off I would not enjoy the food! I really miss cruising, but now spend my vacation dollars elsewhere, as I refuse to go on any cruise that does not maintain at least one sizable dance floor with several hours of dancing before and after dinner. (Crystal was nice, before they went all-inclusive, but as a non-drinker I refuse to pay the new inflated price that is in effect subsidizing the drinkers. And I am afraid to try Cunard again after reading so many recent bad reviews about the food.)

HAL could easily transform the Ocean Bar to its original configuration and bring a combo back to replace the pianist. Managements response to all the complaints regarding the Ocean Bar has been to turn a deaf ear. Orlando and his mgt. team need the boot!