Postcards sent from González Videla Base?

Nitemare

We were there in February and bought and mailed 3 postcards. I expected it might take a couple months but we're over 10 weeks now. Anyone else mail postcards from the Chilean base there and receive them?

I haven't send postcards from that specific base (I didn't even know you could land there!) but I have sent postcards from various places in Antarctica and most have taken several months to arrive (over 5 in some cases), so don't dispair just yet! :). Which ship where you on that managed a landing at Gonzalez Videla?

We were there in February and bought and mailed 3 postcards. I expected it might take a couple months but we're over 10 weeks now. Anyone else mail postcards from the Chilean base there and receive them?

We made the same stop there on our February Silversea Cloud cruise. We saw people mailing the postcards but we did not. We did purchase a couple of the postcards there ($5 apiece) and decided not to mail them for another $5 each postage. LOL! We did get "Antarctica" stamped in our passports which is kind of cool!

Carol and I sailed back to back, passing unknowingly in the Ushaia airport, each on our own cruise on the Silver Cloud.

Glad to hear I shouldn't give up hope for the cards, and we also enjoy the Antarctica stamp on our passport

It would depend on which ship was the next one to land there and whether they collected the mail bag to post when back in Ushuaia. If no ship landed then you will be waiting for the first pick up in the next season.

I had one card arrive right in time for Xmas. 10 months after posted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They get supply ships fairly regularly (to stock that kitchen and to keep them in T-shirts and hats and mugs). I guess I expected they'd send the mail back with the supply ship. There was one there while we were visiting

Ah well, as long as they come

I sent postcards from the Galapagos to myself, a populated village, and it took them almost 6 months to reach me. I can’t imagine how much longer it would take to get from a research base to the US. My advice would be to kinda forget about it, and just be delighted when it does show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...