Card room? Library? Venue for private parties?

cruisestitch

These are three areas I haven't seen yet.

Where would a group that wants to have a private cocktail party be able to take over?

Where can the card players meet?

Where will they hold trivia, name that tune, tri-bond, etc?

where will they hold the Cruise Critic Connections party?

With the elimination of the forward observation lounge, I also wondered where these events would be held. But no one has mentioned "The Club". It is a new, two story venue for Celebrity. Looks like it will be perfect for meet and greets, trivia, etc. There is also the space designed for meetings toward the bottom of the ship.

This is all speculation..... I've been looking at the gray areas. I'm thinking the uniform gray areas in the center of each deck are an atrium with the Martini Bar nearby on one level. Maybe some other venues will be overlooking the atrium at each level (such as how the S Class has a library, card room and iLounge).

Guest services, Shorex and Future Cruises will likely be on 3.

It looks like the shopping district and art sales might be on 4 starboard central or forward or both?

The forward gray areas should be the 3 level-theatre - with maybe a smaller theatre like Celebrity Central or similar multi-use venue in part of that space on one level?

I'm not sure where the Elite cocktail hour and breakfast will be held. It seems like it would be difficult to block off part of Eden, but maybe that is what they will do. The Club would work in the daytime for trivia, etc, and maybe it will wait to open after the Elite cocktails, but it doesn't seem big enough (maybe with both floors). Possibly there is another yet-to-be announced venue?

I was thinking that the Elite breakfast would be either in the Tuscan or Normandie MDRs since they are not open for breakfast? They would be nice venues for the Elite breakfast.

And we are running out of room. Are the kids going to be in the basement (deck 2)? :D

Anyone else have speculations or inside info? My head is spinning. ;)

Deck 3 Deck 4 Deck 5

deck3-2018.gifdeck4-2018.gifdeck5-2018.gif

Edited by vtcruising

Book a cruise and wander around and find it all. That’s what I’m looking forward to.

I enjoy exploring new ports and will love to explore a new ship.

Having made a few Celebrity cruises on a few of the ships, as many of us have, do you really think any of those concerns wil not be met???

If you have to have all this answered, wait a bit......and hope there are SRs left you want.

My 24 Mar Edge Cruise has 12 Balconies left.

Den

Book a cruise and wander around and find it all. That’s what I’m looking forward to.

I enjoy exploring new ports and will love to explore a new ship.

Having made a few Celebrity cruises on a few of the ships, as many of us have, do you really think any of those concerns wil not be met???

If you have to have all this answered, wait a bit......and hope there are SRs left you want.

My 24 Mar Edge Cruise has 12 Balconies left.

Den

Now what fun would that be? ;) I know what you are saying, and my DH would agree, but I (and I think others here) booked in early March, 2017 and Celebrity has been revealing things very, very slowly. Many of us have been having a good time speculating over the last 14 months, waiting for Celebrity to reveal things. It is like Christmas for kids, for those who celebrate Christmas, half the fun is speculation (shaking the presents), waiting for that special morning when all will be revealed.

I often tell myself to stop speculating and just wait until December 1, 2018, but the child in me keeps me speculating and discussing it with fellow Edge followers. It is really adding to the excitement for me. I am looking forward to exploring the ship too and seeing all the things we have read about and discovering all of the surprises there are bound to be on this ship.

Thanks for giving a different take on things! :D

Edited by vtcruising

"Having made a few Celebrity cruises on a few of the ships, as many of us have, do you really think any of those concerns wil not be met???"

Actually that is a concern. It appears that none of the designers has spent much time on real ships, and I wonder if any of them have been passengers over a period of many days. The storage in the staterooms is clearly problematic. Open shelving on a moving ship? That's just one example.

The lack of restrooms on the upper decks shows that they don't know what it is like to be in a real ship situation. Suppose you are dining in Luminae and feel the need to use the restroom -- it's on a different floor! Stairs or elevator? What if you are feeling unwell? There's a potential problem.

Do the designers know what trivia is? Will they be putting it in a space with "disco" lighting like Quasar? That's what often ends up happening on S Class ships because the other venues are in use.

Do they know how many people use the card rooms? What kind of lighting is planned? I challenge them to come to an S class ship and try to play a game of bridge, especially during a music event in the Atrium. It's extremely uncomfortable.

All in all, I see too often examples of attractive design, but will the seating be comfortable, or will it be too low, too deep or too rigid? Think of the chairs on deck 5 of S class ships overlooking the atrium -- too deep to be comfortable. The chairs in Ensemble -- too low and hard to stand up from. The wooden loungers in Solarium - so hard to adjust. But oh, they look so nice in photographs.

It would be wonderful if the ship was designed for real uses, not some figments of the designers' imaginations.

"Having made a few Celebrity cruises on a few of the ships, as many of us have, do you really think any of those concerns wil not be met???"

Actually that is a concern. It appears that none of the designers has spent much time on real ships, and I wonder if any of them have been passengers over a period of many days. The storage in the staterooms is clearly problematic. Open shelving on a moving ship? That's just one example.

The lack of restrooms on the upper decks shows that they don't know what it is like to be in a real ship situation. Suppose you are dining in Luminae and feel the need to use the restroom -- it's on a different floor! Stairs or elevator? What if you are feeling unwell? There's a potential problem.

Do the designers know what trivia is? Will they be putting it in a space with "disco" lighting like Quasar? That's what often ends up happening on S Class ships because the other venues are in use.

Do they know how many people use the card rooms? What kind of lighting is planned? I challenge them to come to an S class ship and try to play a game of bridge, especially during a music event in the Atrium. It's extremely uncomfortable.

All in all, I see too often examples of attractive design, but will the seating be comfortable, or will it be too low, too deep or too rigid? Think of the chairs on deck 5 of S class ships overlooking the atrium -- too deep to be comfortable. The chairs in Ensemble -- too low and hard to stand up from. The wooden loungers in Solarium - so hard to adjust. But oh, they look so nice in photographs.

It would be wonderful if the ship was designed for real uses, not some figments of the designers' imaginations.

While you might have a point about some of the designers not cruising very much, do you really think they design everything without consulting anybody? Do you think they have a final say? Projects like this are truly team efforts. The design of a ship has to incorporate many features, technology and most importantly engineering. And price is a determining factor for many things in a large project budget. Everything is reviewed and revised continuously. There are many people involved with major ship and cruise experience beyond the designers. Passenger focus groups are also consulted. If all of these folks don't get it to your liking you should call Celebrity and volunteer or share your comments. I have done this giving constructive feedback with officers on some ships and I have a couple of times received follow ups from Celebrity.

What my challenge will be, we will be a group of 19 with only six (6) who have sailed recently... all I want to do is explore the ship and many of the others want to explore the ports!

I will be pulled in many directions on our sailing and have to figure out how to maximize ship time vs port time... most of the ports I have been to before so it would not matter if I dis-embark at all... LOL

Yet, everyone in the group is excited which is half the fun!

bon voyage

"While you might have a point about some of the designers not cruising very much, do you really think they design everything without consulting anybody?"

I doubt that they consult real cruisers. I question whether they themselves have ever sat in any of the uncomfortable chairs. Here's a case in point. On Eclipse, in Cafe al Bacio there are a set of two-top tables along the windows with a hanging lamp in between. The height of the lamp is such that virtually everyone, short or tall, bumped into it when standing up from the chairs. A simple test of the comfort, height and practicality of this set-up would have showed them the problem. Similarly, the chairs along the rail are too deep. Even tall people are uncomfortable in them.

As to stateroom issues -- the open bedside shelving is too small, oddly shaped, and much less practical than the bedside drawers were. This was recognized and commented on numerous times on this forum, on post-cruise surveys, and in person on ships. Open shelving is a real problem, and that's exactly what we are seeing on the reveals of the staterooms.

"Passenger focus groups are also consulted. If all of these folks don't get it to your liking you should call Celebrity and volunteer or share your comments."

Don't forget post-cruise surveys, but the comments seem to go nowhere. One by one as the new S-class ships were rolled out, the same problems were replicated. Now with Edge, one hopes that we will see practical improvements, not the same issues.

TeeRick - I agree with others who feel the designers really have no clue about many aspects of the ship that we cruisers know all too weĺl. I'll use the remodel of the M class as a perfect example. A single 3 ft wide, 6 ft high closet with glass doors and a few open shelves is the stupidest design I have ever seen when they are completely gutting the entire cabin. No group of cruisers would ever vote for this design. As I said when this "creative" design was revealed, you might as well just open your suitcases and throw everything in a pile, because that's where they will land in a rough sea. And who is sweeping up the pile of glass from the shattered doors? Or my lack of sleep, fearing the slamming glass doors will shatter? OK, a bit dramatic, but a really bad design. :mad:

I think I could also come up with a number of features that are poorly designed on all of the ships that I have ever sailed. So I agree with you guys. My only point is that a lot goes into this- the "inexperienced" designers should not take all the blame. There is a lot of opportunity to review and change things by highly experienced people working for Celebrity or the shipyard. But things that seem like an afterthought or are poorly designed to us passengers still make it to the final design. Then there are opportunities to make changes post-launch or on the next versions of the ship. But stuff still gets through. I think one thing that comes to mind is the very high and tight tub on M-Class Celebrity Suites. They could have corrected this after Millennium was launched but it went forward this way in all other M-Class ships.