Booking Horizon tomorrow: Havana Cabana or Havana Aft-view?

I'm wondering what other Havana category passengers think I should do. Tomorrow, I'm going to our 30th anniversary celebration cruise. We've decided to try a Havana category stateroom, but we can't decide if we want a Cabana or Aft-view room. Dh is leaving it up to me. On one hand, we like the idea of trying something new - a patio with a lounger for dh and a swinging chair for me instead of two upright chairs that are frankly pretty uncomfortable. On the other hand, the reason we always book a balcony room is because we value the relative privacy of a balcony. It looks to me, from the videos I watched, that while the patio is not at all private, the walkway past the patio is not exactly high traffic area. Maybe, it's okay? That is if we don't have noisy neighbors.

Edited by Silent Penguin

We are going on the Horizon in the Sprig, and there were no available havana, in any category...I hopefully soon will be booking another, far enough in advance to enjoy the "havana" Have a wonderful time!!! I have a feeling either havana room will be lovely!!

We are going on the Horizon in the Sprig, and there were no available havana, in any category...I hopefully soon will be booking another, far enough in advance to enjoy the "havana" Have a wonderful time!!! I have a feeling either havana room will be lovely!!

Thank you for the well wishes. We're planning to go in the fall. According to the Carnival website, there are several rooms available in both categories. Maybe, if you can, you should switch! I'm guessing that's not an option for you?

Are you considering the extended balcony aft-view? That one is big enough to handle two lounge chairs on the balcony. The cabana room is convenient when you are coming from the pool/hot tub and want to lay out at your room. I don't know how much privacy you want. It's not like people are going to be starting at you while you lay there, but people might pass by while you're there.

I'm wondering what other Havana category passengers think I should do. Tomorrow, I'm going to our 30th anniversary celebration cruise. We've decided to try a Havana category stateroom, but we can't decide if we want a Cabana or Aft-view room. Dh is leaving it up to me. On one hand, we like the idea of trying something new - a patio with a lounger for dh and a swinging chair for me. On the other hand, the reason we always book a balcony room is because we value the relative privacy of a balcony.

We had the same dilemma. We sail in November on Horizon so I can’t speak from experience yet, but we ended up choosing a Havana Aft extended balcony over the Havana cabana for three reasons: 1. Aft Balcony has a bit more privacy than Cabana. 2. Aft balcony has an unbeatable view (cabana looks at the water through a glass wall) 3. Aft balcony ( we chose deck 7) will be quieter than a cabana stateroom near the nighttime band in the Havana bar. 4. Want to be sure to get my steps in and I was worried that a cabin on deck 5 would mean a lot fewer steps since so much is on deck 5.

I was so temped to try the cabana stateroom because it is new and different, but in the end the benefits of the aft balcony won out for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think you can make a bad decision between the 2.

For us we went with a wrap around aft on deck 6 after watching the you tube videos. Being on deck 6 you have little privacy but its just one flight up or down to the Havana deck.

My concerns about the cabana cabins was mostly privacy. DH would be worried if the slider was locked all the time and that would take away my joy. Not to mention you would need your drapes drawn all the time if your in your cabin and not fully dressed.

The swings where pulled but hopefully they will return soon because the swings just look like fun. Someone said her DH wound it up to spin and it came un hooked and hit him in the head he required stitches so they pulled them all. Not sure if they are back yet or not.

We had a cabana on Vista last summer and have booked one again for Horizon next spring. We really enjoy those rooms and being able to walk outside to the pool and bar.

I heard the swinging chairs were removed now due to safety concerns and replaced with wicker chairs. Something about it breaking and injuring a person. Not sure if it was on here or the other place.

We had an extended aft balcony and I was happier with that vs a Cabana due to privacy. I think those would be super fun if you had a lot of them in a row, but I don’t like the idea of someone sitting practically next to me in full view. Plus you can’t even see the water you are so far back not to mention the full glass panel.

Honestly I would have preferred an inside because we don’t use the balcony that much and can’t see paying all that extra for it. We spent a lot of time down in the Havana area itself so didn’t see a need for the balcony. It’s up to you.

I do recommend not booking Deck 6 as you will hear the music from the Havana Bar. If you stay up late it shouldn’t be a problem, but if you like to go to bed early it could be an issue.

We had an extended aft balcony Havana cabin on deck 6 right above the pool on the Vista this spring. The view is nice. You can see right down on the pool; they can also see you. The balcony people on deck 7 can see you on your balcony. There is no overhang, thus no shade. We were in the Caribbean and it was too hot for me to use the balcony much. I did enjoyed the Havana pool area and always chose a shady seat.

I would definitely choose the Havana area again, but would select a side balcony; maybe they would have some shade.

Music: We could hear it faintly on about 3 nights until about midnight. Then they would quit or be quieter. It was mostly the vibrations, not the actual music. I did not bother me sleeping. Enjoy your trip.

I don't think you can make a bad decision between the 2.

For us we went with a wrap around aft on deck 6 after watching the you tube videos. Being on deck 6 you have little privacy but its just one flight up or down to the Havana deck.

My concerns about the cabana cabins was mostly privacy. DH would be worried if the slider was locked all the time and that would take away my joy. Not to mention you would need your drapes drawn all the time if your in your cabin and not fully dressed.

The swings where pulled but hopefully they will return soon because the swings just look like fun. Someone said her DH wound it up to spin and it came un hooked and hit him in the head he required stitches so they pulled them all. Not sure if they are back yet or not.

My husband had it fall on his head and had stitches, but it was on the Vista a year and a half ago. I would have to think that perhaps others were injured causing them to be pulled now, or they are just really slow at the investigation. :D

... ended up choosing a Havana Aft extended balcony over the Havana cabana for three reasons: 1. Aft Balcony has a bit more privacy than Cabana. 2. Aft balcony has an unbeatable view (cabana looks at the water through a glass wall) 3. Aft balcony ( we chose deck 7) will be quieter than a cabana stateroom near the nighttime band in the Havana bar. 4. Want to be sure to get my steps in and I was worried that a cabin on deck 5 would mean a lot fewer steps since so much is on deck 5.

I was so temped to try the cabana stateroom because it is new and different, but in the end the benefits of the aft balcony won out for us.

We are on the same page. I'm about to call my TA and book an aft-view stateroom on either deck 8 or 9, probably 9.

The swings where pulled but hopefully they will return soon because the swings just look like fun..

You hit the nail on the head as to two reasons why I'm leaning toward booking an aft room. Thanks for your advice!

Plus you can’t even see the water you are so far back not to mention the full glass panel.

Even though I didn't list this as one of our priorities, seeing the water as up close as possible is one aspect of having a balcony room we especially enjoy. I've been watching Youtube videos, and what you said in your post was something I thought too.

We had an extended aft balcony Havana cabin on deck 6 right above the pool on the Vista this spring. The view is nice. You can see right down on the pool; they can also see you. The balcony people on deck 7 can see you on your balcony. There is no overhang, thus no shade.

Music: We could hear it faintly on about 3 nights until about midnight. Then they would quit or be quieter. It was mostly the vibrations, not the actual music. I did not bother me sleeping. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you for the helpful information about your experience on deck 6. Given your account (and the others), I'm thinking, if the only aft cabins left were on deck 6, we could be happy there, but given a choice, we'll book a couple decks higher up.

Even though I didn't list this as one of our priorities, seeing the water as up close as possible is one aspect of having a balcony room we especially enjoy. I've been watching Youtube videos, and what you said in your post was something I thought too.

The view from 7456 on Vista.

68b66fdf36339fe56ddbfd23cc2de5d8.jpg

f8455ba531d83b46e019ee4aebcff604.jpg

The view from 7456 on Vista.

68b66fdf36339fe56ddbfd23cc2de5d8.jpg

f8455ba531d83b46e019ee4aebcff604.jpg

Thanks for those pictures! I can't wait to be on Horizon in September. We have the Havana Premium Balcony 6467. I haven't heard much about it, but I really can't wait for the views.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Totally not the OP but, based on everything you all just said, we just booked an aft balcony instead of the cabana we were originally looking at!

High five! OP here. I'm glad this thread is going to help other people make their decision. Thanks everyone for your input. A few hours ago, I booked our cruise. We went with an aft cabin on deck 8.

The Vista is coming to Galveston, a 3hr drive for us, so looking at cabin options. Are there any Havana balcony cabins, not inside, that have privacy? We enjoy relaxing on our balcony but don't want to be looking down at a deck of people or others balconies or have others be able to see into ours.

The Vista is coming to Galveston, a 3hr drive for us, so looking at cabin options. Are there any Havana balcony cabins, not inside, that have privacy? We enjoy relaxing on our balcony but don't want to be looking down at a deck of people or others balconies or have others be able to see into ours.

No. They are either extended aft or Havana Cabanas. No regular balconies on the side.

Thanks! How about the premium wrap balconies? are they private at all?
Our cabin on Horizon was a deck 8 aft wrap. We've had deck 8 aft wraps on Victory and Glory and those afforded some privacy on the side portion of the balcony. Horizon's deck 8 aft wrap had little balcony space on the side and consequently little privacy.