Cruising with kids of divorced parents

teamsmallville

*I posted this in another place here, but after I did realized it might have not been the right spot. I will go see if I can remove it. :o

Hello All:

Going to Ensenada and Catalina Island with the kids over New Years. My wife and I, both divorced and remarried, have children from other marriage going on this trip (ages 13 and older).

Other than a passport, do the kids need to have a letter from the other parent (who isn't going). If so, does it need to be notarized? I read an old thread from 2013 and wanted to get someone's experience who has done this more recently. Don't want to have to start a new life in Mexico right now. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Thanks for your help and support.

I was in the same situation. I got the custody conciliator to ok it. My kids' mother was against it but the conciliator said it was fine. I would recommend either doing that or have your children's other parent give you a notorized document allowing it. Otherwise it wouldn't be hard to make it look like you were trying to flee with them. I was surprised how willing the conciliator was to help me out with this.

Best regards, I hope you guys have a great time.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Forums mobile app

I have years of experience with this issue. Get a notarized “Permission to Travel” letter signed by the other parent.

I’ve been asked for this letter many times by airlines and immigration officials in several different countries. Mexico and Canada are particularly picky. Better safe than sorry.

. ...

Going to Ensenada and Catalina Island with the kids over New Years. My wife and I, both divorced and remarried, have children from other marriage going on this trip (ages 13 and older).

Other than a passport, do the kids need to have a letter from the other parent (who isn't going). If so, does it need to be notarized? ...

Thanks for your help and support.

Yes, get a notarized letter from other parent and have it also include permission for medical treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends what your custody papers say, too. If your custody paperwork includes the right to travel with your kids, just bring that with you. Having a passport also reduces the chances of a problem, as both parents (or the custodial parent with a judge's permission) have to agree to the child having a passport, which can be considered to be default permission for travel outside the country,

Shouldn't need permission for medical treatment, though -- as the parent, you have the ability to give authorization for medical treatment on your own, without having the other parent present. (If you take your kid to the emergency department at home, you don't need your ex there to give permission!) Medical treatment authorization paperwork would only be needed for minors who aren't your own children, such as friends, grandkids, etc.

It never hurts to have additional documentation. I have cruised Royal Caribbean and Norwegian with my kids and have never been asked for documentation giving me permission to travel with them.

They do not (yet) have passports and one of my sons has a different last name. I have also flown countless times without any issue. However, different cruise lines, different ports and different political times can bring you a different outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised numerous times with my nephew and my sister and her ex always provided a notarized letter. My Grandson has also taken friends with him with us when we cruise and we always get the parents to provide a notarized letter that gives permission for medical treatment. In all the cruises, we've only gotten ask about it once and it was for a friend of my Grandson. I'd prefer to be safe and have any documentation because as my Grandson got older, they wanted to do the flow-rider and some of the excursions where we might have had to get him some medical attention. Incidentally,we always purchase travel insurance for anyone traveling with us. Something that could cost a couple of hundred dollars could turn into a few thousand in a foreign country. No sense taking a chance and when they are young, it's quite inexpensive.

• 1 month later...
Personally, I would get the letters from the other parents just in case, cover all your bases.

We are in this same boat. Really just affects our 13yo as the other 2 are 16.. we are asking for the passport form now and she’s putting stipulations on it. Not sure what will happen when we ask for the letter. Wishing we’d added right to travel when we modified custody a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the notarized permission letter. You never know when it will be required; not worth not being able to board. Also permission for medical treatment, although that may not be necessary because you are their actual parent.

We cruised with grandkids (no parents along) and had all the forms; good thing we did, too. They were checked very carefully, although I have to wonder why, as who in their right minds would be planning to abduct 7 kids under the age of 12!, especially on a cruise--since this is often given as the reason for all the checking.

They also checked the paperwork at Immigration when we got off the ship, though not too carefully.

When we first went up to check in, though, the person asked if they were my children. I've often wondered what would have happened if I had said, 'Yes'.

I have often been mistaken for the grandkid's mom, even sometimes now at 72! I put it down to extremely poor eyesight. or extreme politeness.:D