QM2 too long for Manhattan? What about NCL?

MarkBearSF

I recall when the QM2 was new, I had heard that Red Hook was built to accommodate her, because her unusual length sticks too far into the Hudson - at least as a permanent situation. Seeing the occasional XL Princess ship dock in Brooklyn fit that explanation.

Today I was wondering - what about the new NCL ships? While the QM2 was briefly the largest ship afloat, I believe the Breakaway and other recent NCL ships must be at least as long. Is there another factor I'm unaware of?

QM2 does use the Manhattan pier if RedHook isn't available. She last did so in September 2014 when the Royal Princess, which carries 1000 more passengers, was in the same day and berthed in Red Hook.

You are right in that her ass extends past the pier but length usn't the only factor. The Manhattan piers were built for mid-twentieth century ships which were shorter and also much narrower. (Norwegian Epic has to remove five lifeboats for the gangways to reach the ship.) The ships also spent days, not mere hours, in port. So turn around is slower as the facilities are not adequate for these larger ships.

But for location, Manhattan is usually more convenient and the view sailing upriver can't be beat. (Unless you are flying out of JFK.)

So if NCL can sail their floating condos out of Manhattan why doesn't Cunard do so instead of using Brooklyn? See paragraph 2. Disembarkation, reprovisioning, bunkering, and other tasks take longer and there is a lot of vehicle congestion. I well remember a December 2016 disembarkation in Redhook where US immigration staffing caused long delays. The "can't wait to board" early arrivals overlapped those still trying to get home. Had that happened in Manhattan almost all of midtown would have been gridlocked.

Many ships that use the Manhattan pier are in as for port of call rather than for embarkation, so there is no luggage handling or disembarking/embarking passengers converging on each other.

Aurora certainly should have fit: she's about the same length and a bit wider than the 1952 SS United States.

Many ships that use the Manhattan pier are in as for port of call rather than for embarkation, so there is no luggage handling or disembarking/embarking passengers converging on each other.

Aurora certainly should have fit: she's about the same length and a bit wider than the 1952 SS United States.

Re Aurora in 2016...Very, very slow immigration procedure though, photos/prints etc, took a few hours to go through 2000 pax and 800 crew :( Understand the need for it all, but too few officers to do it.

I agree- sailing upriver to dock in Mannhattan is hard to beat. Red Hook is okay.- or even better since the ferry service started last year. I used the ferry to get to Wall Street - Wall Street Pier 11 - if i remember right. So quick so efficent- and the " crossing" from Red Hook to Wall Street is a great experience! So I am not sure if I would be THAT happy to dock in Manhattan - not since the ferry. I also thought about to get to Red Hook to join the Mary next time. Just takeing a cab to the Wall Street Pier and from there to the Mary- even with luggage it seems easy to handle!

I recall when the QM2 was new, I had heard that Red Hook was built to accommodate her, because her unusual length sticks too far into the Hudson - at least as a permanent situation. Seeing the occasional XL Princess ship dock in Brooklyn fit that explanation.

Today I was wondering - what about the new NCL ships? While the QM2 was briefly the largest ship afloat, I believe the Breakaway and other recent NCL ships must be at least as long. Is there another factor I'm unaware of?

Carnival Corp entered into an agreement to use Red hook in 2005 I think they are contractually obligated to berth Cunard ships in Brooklyn http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/364-05/mayor-bloomberg-brooklyn-borough-president-markowitz-nyc-company-president-nicholas-welcome#/0

Carnival Corp entered into an agreement to use Red hook in 2005 I think they are contractually obligated to berth Cunard ships in Brooklyn http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/364-05/mayor-bloomberg-brooklyn-borough-president-markowitz-nyc-company-president-nicholas-welcome#/0

Thank you for finding that. NYC likely demanded a certain guaranteed level of use given their investment.