Disembarking before end of cruise

cole

We have an Australian cruise booked for Jan. of 2019 and basically the last 3 days are sea days returning to Sydney and we are considering disembarking at the last New Zealand port, flying to Sydney which would allow us to return to the US 3 days early. Anyone ever done this kind of disembarking before the cruise ended and if so, what step does a person need to take to be assured that the ship is aware of our plans. Thanks for your help.

Cole

Ummm, technically nobody can force you to stay on a cruise ship if you want to get off that would be unlawful detention. Nor is there a cost associated with passing through NZ immigration/customs that would be borne by you; it would however likely take a long time and a lot of explaining since NZ officials would not be expecting it and may take a dim view. They have the right to deny you entry (and deport you) if they perceive something they deem unsavory.

A simple 'example' would be returning home early because of a death in the family or business related issue..

Now NCL... might take a dim view next time you go to book a cruise but that would be shortsighted.

I'm not sure what issues you may encounter with that port of call trying to get thru customs to get to an airport but it may be a lot longer wait/line than you normally get when disembarking at the normal port. I'm sure some advanced phone calls could alleviate any problem there but you would also be timing airfare to match with it. The port might not have air travel, logistics to get you thru, even if the port has appropriate airport and flights would timing allow you to get thru customs to enter the country then leave it. Call it a logistics nightmare IMO.

As for NCL itself, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't allow it actually it's in their interests to have you pay for those 3+ days and not actually be there eating, drinking, etc.

Though on that side of it. Why would you want to pay for 3+ days of food, drink, etc and not use it? At sea days are actually my favorite time.

Just found out that NCL says it would be in violation of the Jones Act. So that answers my question. By the way, we hate sea days, especially when there are 2 on the front end and 2 on the back end. Would rather spend that time traveling back home. Oh well!

Cole

Just found out that NCL says it would be in violation of the Jones Act. So that answers my question. By the way, we hate sea days, especially when there are 2 on the front end and 2 on the back end. Would rather spend that time traveling back home. Oh well!

Cole

Ummm, no, that is a convenient answer for most people but it is incorrect, Think about it... you can at any time say "we have to leave this cruise and travel home immediately for personal reasons" (such as a death, illness, unexpected event at home etc.) and you will not be in contravention of anything.

However, as folks have pointed out it introduces a ton of ball-ache and form-filling for all involved.

I'm not responding to persuade one way or the other, your choices are your own, but an untruth from NCL is not a fair foundation.

Cole

Jones act applies to cargo between US ports. The PVSA would be the appropriate reference if it was between 2 US ports. The NCL representative had no clue what they were telling you.

why would you walk away from 3 days that you paid for? and then spend more money to fly? this sounds so weird!

Well one reason might be that OP can earn more money in 3 days than the cost of the flight... or given they hate sea-days feel that they can make better use of the time. Speaking as a business owner I can identify with the latter... but know what I (personally) need to maintain my sanity.

why would you walk away from 3 days that you paid for? and then spend more money to fly? this sounds so weird!

I know, sounds quirky, just our preference. But I wondered when she mentioned the Act and remembered it being discussed with regard to Puerto Rico after the hurricane. Oh well... Thanks everyone for your input.

Cole

Jones act applies to cargo between US ports. The PVSA would be the appropriate reference if it was between 2 US ports. The NCL representative had no clue what they were telling you.

Very, very true especially the last sentence and how often that is the case!!!

The NCL representative had no clue what they were telling you.
The NCL rep probably did not recognize the fact that threadstarter was asking about a non-US itinerary. The PVSA does not apply here at all.

The NCL rep probably did not recognize the fact that threadstarter was asking about a non-US itinerary.

I agree and that was what my post was getting at.

The PVSA does not apply here at all.

If you read what I wrote I said that.

I stated before what you quoted, “the appropriate reference would have been the PVSA if the cruise was between two US ports.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on cruise ships that passengers left early, call NCL again. I know passengers are on the Bliss Transatlantic who are getting off in Halifax.

Our crossing of the Tasman Sea was so rough, that I considered leaving our Sydney round trip cruise 2 days early at Auckland - decided I didn't want the hassle of finding flights & hotels, thank goodness the weather improved.

While there is absolutely no PVSA/Jones act violation here, you may still run into trouble. My experience is that New Zealand is worse than some other countries with immigration requirements. We got held up flying in due to them being unable to confirm our flights out (though we had proof printed out). And then when we were leaving security wouldn’t let me board with a small boomerang I had purchased in Australia (Australia hadn’t cared). Not to say that’s related to any issues you may have. Just found them to be more sticklers than other countries. You’ll need to pre-arrange this or else you may run into trouble at the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm still at a loss for why not just fly to one or two destinations instead of cruise if you don't like the at sea days. Maybe it's just the old Navy guy in me but I enjoy the sea days looking out over the open water as much as exploring in the ports.

Wish you the best though. Everyone has their own desires in life.

I'll state upfront that I have no clue about what laws may apply in New Zealand, but I would also suggest contacting NCL again to ensure you are speaking to the department with actual knowledge in this area.

I was booked on a Royal Caribbean Transatlantic (Westbound) cruise that was scheduled to stop in New York before heading on to Florida for final disembark in Miami. I asked the RCL phone rep if I could just disembark in New York (I live 35 mins away from the pier in NJ) instead of going on to Florida and then flying home. I was told NO WAY NO HOW VIOLATION OF THIS AND THAT LAW! :')

Somehow (probably via CC!) I learned there was a special department that handled such requests at RCL, so I emailed them. I received a prompt response which indicated "No issues at all to disembark in New York. Just need to pay a $65 admin fee for additional paperwork/approval process."

I didn't wind up taking that cruise after all, but the point is that the regular PCC was completely wrong about my options. I'm sure NCL has a similar department. Good luck! :)