Questions Regarding MSC Seaside

TravelinGert

Hi all! Thank you all so much for sharing such great information. I've just finished reading every word of all 27 pages. I booked an Aurea balcony today for the June 9th sailing and am really looking forward to it. After just returning from the NCL Epic, I'm especially excited for all of the open deck areas that the Seaside seems to have.

It seems that there are great things about MSC and Seaside while there are other things that people don't prefer. I've found that to be true on many cruises! From what I can tell, the biggest challenge is simply MSC's lack of clarity on many things. I believe that most all negative feelings are based on inaccurate expectations, so perhaps if it were clearer what to expect going into one of these cruises, folks wouldn't be disappointed. We also sometimes create our own false expectations based on past experience when it may be different on a new ship. I've learned that lesson! So with that spirit, I've decided to not really have any expectations other than to experience something new while enjoying sunshine and cocktails! :tropical-drink:

Wow...information overload. Yet, I'm still left with questions.

1. We're both Black Status due to SM.

2. We're in YC.

Q. Which food venues carry surcharges / a la carte, which would apply to us? The pub? Specialty? Where can I find prices for the specialty restaurants? I've seen Trio mentioned, but can't find it in the extras for my cruise. I see the Butcher's Block Prix Fixe, but just looking for a regular meal.

Q. There seem to be dozens of drink menus & all-inclusive plans of varying types. How hard will it be to get a drink throughout the ship? With dinner? What if we're dining specialty? Or if we've made arrangements for MDR with new friends?

I have the $12.50 / pp / pd SC in hand.... in YC are there others not included in that? (Butler, Concierge for example)

Thanks,

Stephen

Food from the room service menu and drink to the cabin is included with the deluxe package but it would seem that you have to pay for delivery if in a Bella cabin.

I emailed them about this for clarification as I am also on the Bella experience with the deluxe drinks package.

Their response was "The deluxe drinks package does tell us that food from the room service menu would be included, although i can also tell you that there is also no charge for delivery in this case as this would be for a cruise leaving from a US port."

i wasn't aware that room service charges were dependant on your departure port, and can't find anything on their website to back it up, so will be taking my email with me just in case they do try to charge me :)

I emailed them about this for clarification as I am also on the Bella experience with the deluxe drinks package.

Their response was "The deluxe drinks package does tell us that food from the room service menu would be included, although i can also tell you that there is also no charge for delivery in this case as this would be for a cruise leaving from a US port."

i wasn't aware that room service charges were dependant on your departure port, and can't find anything on their website to back it up, so will be taking my email with me just in case they do try to charge me

MSC don't half know how to complicate matters! :rolleyes:

If you were in a Bella cabin regardless of Inside, Outside or Balcony there would be no room service, because you have the Deluxe drink package Delivery and food are included.

I think the person who replied to you may not really know what is or is not included regarding room service because if you cruise Bella in Europe the same applies.

Bea ... Even the search facility is useless on their UK site, I just typed in "Bella Experience" and it came up with Deck plans!

Type in "Experience" and it comes up with the chart you have posted previously.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/compare-experiences.aspx

USA chart. https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/compare-experiences.aspx

Edited by sidari

I'm not sure where you found that, but I found a much more detailed list when I went to make a reservation and clicked on "Compare MSC Inclusive Experience".

Comfort

Superior comfort ensured by free 24−hour room service (delivery is free from 6am - 11pm with Fantastica, Wellness & Aurea Experiences)

Breakfast in your stateroom (delivery + breakfast are free, starting at 6:00am)

Unless you order the breakfast sandwich, which is $3.

Bella with Deluxe Drink Package: Delivery fee? Food fee? Anyone know?

No idea. I was told I was supposed to pay the fee as a Fantastica with Deluxe drink plan after 11 pm but as a courtesy they waived it once. However I understand enough Italian to know they first confirmed we had tipped our delivery person before saying they'd waive it. Which leads me to believe the delivery fee is at least partly given to the delivery person for going up after hours to make the delivery. But that's pure conjecture.

Hi all! Thank you all so much for sharing such great information. I've just finished reading every word of all 27 pages. I booked an Aurea balcony today for the June 9th sailing and am really looking forward to it. After just returning from the NCL Epic, I'm especially excited for all of the open deck areas that the Seaside seems to have.

It seems that there are great things about MSC and Seaside while there are other things that people don't prefer. I've found that to be true on many cruises! From what I can tell, the biggest challenge is simply MSC's lack of clarity on many things. I believe that most all negative feelings are based on inaccurate expectations, so perhaps if it were clearer what to expect going into one of these cruises, folks wouldn't be disappointed. We also sometimes create our own false expectations based on past experience when it may be different on a new ship. I've learned that lesson! So with that spirit, I've decided to not really have any expectations other than to experience something new while enjoying sunshine and cocktails! :tropical-drink:

Yeah the lack of clarity can be frustrating. They do seem to be trying very hard to improve upon that, however.

For instance earlier cruisers on Seaside said they received no instruction how to activate their pre-purchased internet. When we boarded they had two screens over Guest Services which were cycling through various information including how to initially sign on and how to also turn off data when you didn't want to use it.

Also although earlier cruisers said ability to use your drink plan or drink vouchers at Venchi for Gelato was dependent on the server by our cruise they had it built into the system. The servers just entered the information for the charge, then when they scanned your card or voucher it would show a $0.00 charge to the cabin.

I think probably as time passes they'll get everything clarified similarly. We were very happy to only really have this one issue.

I've tried to fill in answers in BOLD below.

Wow...information overload. Yet, I'm still left with questions.

1. We're both Black Status due to SM.

2. We're in YC.

Q. Which food venues carry surcharges / a la carte, which would apply to us? The pub? Specialty? Where can I find prices for the specialty restaurants? I've seen Trio mentioned, but can't find it in the extras for my cruise. I see the Butcher's Block Prix Fixe, but just looking for a regular meal.

First as a black card holder you will receive one specialty meal for two of your choice. When we boarded some servers from the specialty restaurants were taking reservations. We told them we'd like to book our black card meal and they booked us a reservation. When we arrived for our reservation they told us they already knew it was our black card meal when seating us. We did also receive a card in our room which said it entitled us to one black card meal but they never asked for it although we received confirmation of $0.00 charge for the black card mean before we left.

Other than that they will probably be selling the trio for $69 plus 15% gratuity when you are on board. You can also eat at any specialty restaurant and tell them you wish to get the fixed price special. Then just order from that menu and pay accordingly. The price will be shown on the menu and you'll be charged that plus a 15% gratuity so no need to additionally tip. And yes you can just order a la carte at any specialty restaurant and eat whatever you wish paying the charge for just those items.

We did tip our servers when we enjoyed our black card dinner. You are not charged any gratuity on it so that's the only way your servers get a thank you for their service.

Q. There seem to be dozens of drink menus & all-inclusive plans of varying types. How hard will it be to get a drink throughout the ship? With dinner? What if we're dining specialty? Or if we've made arrangements for MDR with new friends?

We had no difficulty getting drinks anywhere on the ship using our deluxe drink plan which is the same plan you'll have as a Yacht Club cruiser.

I do not know if you can arrange to eat in the regular MDR as Yacht Club guests but you can definitely eat in the regular buffets and get your drinks there with no issues. Just let them swipe your Yacht Club card or wrist band. You will not have any difficulty in the specialty dining, either.

You will also be able to get gelato, milk shakes, coffee drinks, chocolate cocktails, and the espresso with praline trio at the Venchi venues which offers these included at no extra charge. I think the espresso with praline trio is only offered at the main Venchi location. Pralines are what they call the hand made chocolates so you will actually receive a cup of espresso and three chocolates. They have four locations offering the gelato and milk shakes.

I have the $12.50 / pp / pd SC in hand.... in YC are there others not included in that? (Butler, Concierge for example)

I am not 100% on this but some have reported the butler and concierge are not included in that. I was not Yacht Club on our cruise so I didn't have reason to ask. I would certainly have simply asked if I were in the Yacht Club and the Butler and Concierge had provided services to me.

Thanks,

Stephen

Hope the information I had helps and you have a cruise as wonderful as ours aboard Seaside, Stephen. We had an excellent experience and found it very relaxing.

Edited by TravelinGert

Thanks,

Stephen

The deluxe all-inclusive drinks package is included with a YC booking so everything on the bar menus is included except items with 2 asterisks next to them.

As the YC has its own dedicated restaurant, you won't be able to join others in the MDR as those tables are assigned to non-YC guests only.

The butlers and concierge are included in the daily service charge, unlike on NCL, where they're not.

Hope the information I had helps and you have a cruise as wonderful as ours aboard Seaside, Stephen. We had an excellent experience and found it very relaxing.

The deluxe all-inclusive drinks package is included with a YC booking so everything on the bar menus is included except items with 2 asterisks next to them.

As the YC has its own dedicated restaurant, you won't be able to join others in the MDR as those tables are assigned to non-YC guests only.

The butlers and concierge are included in the daily service charge, unlike on NCL, where they're not.

Thank you, both.

I find it really disturbing that we can't make friends and then choose to dine with them, without either:

a) they needing to also have YC

or

b) we all having to slum-it and go to the buffet.

On NCL we'd frequently go to the LGBT meet & greet, and start chatting & continue over dinner which might be....a spur of the moment thing.

I'm confused still, because I thought they had the ability to do Anytime Dining (or equivalent) in their MDRs, so why would they care if we're YC? If our friends requested the table, surely we'd just be an alternative to two empty chairs...and I'm guessing the MDR meals cost them less than the YC meals - so they should be happy.

Oh well. It's weird, and I guess I'll leave it at that.

Stephen

The dining concept on MSC is much more structured than NCL. It’s all based on the “experience” you book. So yes there are open seating areas in the sections of the MDR, but they are reserved for those booked into those experiences.

On MSC, the best option for YC and non-YC pax to dine together is a specialty restaurant.

It’s just a different way of doing things. Personally I try not to compare everything to some other cruise line. Of course it’s human nature to compare but I do try to take it at face value and not compare too much. There will be things that are better, and other things not as good. That goes for all cruise lines. I’ve yet to find the perfect one and I try them all.

Edited by eroller

Stephen,

"Anytime" dining is only available for Aurea and Wellness experience. Bella and Fantastica experience do have a fixed seating. As Yacht Club you can use the Anytime area too but if your friends have a fixed seating they can´t.

NCL has no fixed seatings.

steamboats

Stephen,

"Anytime" dining is only available for Aurea and Wellness experience. Bella and Fantastica experience do have a fixed seating. As Yacht Club you can use the Anytime area too but if your friends have a fixed seating they can´t.

NCL has no fixed seatings.

steamboats

Gotcha! Thanks. So if our friends are YC, Aurea, or Wellness, we can find a way.... :)

Stephen

Gotcha! Thanks. So if our friends are YC, Aurea, or Wellness, we can find a way.... :)

Stephen

If you new found friends are YC, then it's no problem eating together since you're YC. If they are not YC, then they are one of the other four levels that all eat in the MDR, which you can't eat at. So, if they are not in YC, your only options of eating with them in a restaurant atmosphere would be in one of the specialties. Or you could get free pizzas delivered to your YC cabin and have a party.

Gertie, it was great meeting you and Paul! The Cruise Critic M&M, the Slot Pull, the Cabin Crawl were all fun!! Enjoyed chatting with you up and on the pool deck!

Hope you both got home safe and sound!

Susan and Chuck

I've seen questions about whether the food in the sports bar is free or not, but I've not seen a menu or mention of food in the sports bar at all on the Seaside, so I'm wondering if there is even food served in the sports bar?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Yes, there is food and yes, there is a charge for the food.

• 3 weeks later...