Have you overpacked or underpacked for a cruise?

SLSD

How do you rate yourself as a packer for cruises? Do you overpack or underpack regularly? On the evening we placed our luggage out in the hallway prior to disembarking, my husband said, "Look Susan---everyone else in our hallway has fewer bags than we do. We overpacked!" To be clear, we each had two bags---a large one (or at least large medium sized) and a smaller bag (the size that can be carried on.) In addition, we each had a tote size bag (really a briefcase size computer bag for my husband). We were amazed when we looked down the hall and saw that most people had just smallish medium bag and a tote size bag.

To be truthful, I didn't wear everything that I brought--and some of the things I brought I should have worn--but just didn't.

So--what kind of packer have you been? And have you vastly improved as a packer as you have become a very experienced cruiser.

How much laundry do you do on a cruise?

OMG - two bags each plus a tote bag! You sound like my daughter - when they go on a trip, she packs the whole house plus the kitchen sink! For a week-long cruise, we'll just each bring one carry-on size bag. We were in the Baltic last June. First a week between Oslo and Stockholm, then a 10-day cruise, plus one day in Denmark afterwards. We just brought our 2 carry-ons and a backpack, as we were taking a train between Oslo and Stockholm (large 50-pound bags are hard to maneuver). We did wash the afternoon we got on board in Stockholm).

3 years ago we were in Australia for a month, land-touring on our own. Just our 2 carry-ons. Did wash twice. Worked out just fine! We were in Vegas for 5+ days last month -- one carry-on, period.

Mrs Fletcher and I are on the Quest later this month for the 23-day Antarctic trip. We did a complete dry-run a few days ago as this cruise goes from hot to cold and back again. We will share one medium-sized suitcase - one half for me, one half for her - and the whole thing weighed 18kgs. Then we have a smaller case filled with all our polar excursional clobber. That came in at 6kgs. Then it's just our carry-on stuff. My camera bag weighs as much as an elephant seal.

One 28 inch duffle that is not full. I write down what I will wear each night and double up wearing pants twice. I add an extra outfit and top just in case I don't like something. This helps in overpacking but that I have packed everything. Most days it's a bathing suit do I make sure I bring that. I estimate bathing suit/coverup for two days each about 4. I also try to do blk/wht color scheme so it eliminates a bunch of shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me destination makes a difference. For a 12 day Caribbean cruise I plan on packing a medium size bag. However, for a Mediterranean cruise, which will involve more formality in dressing plus a variant weather factor, I plan on a large size bag and a smallish carryon. I have to say I love dressy shoes, and I tend to carry more than I should...but I'm aware of this and accept the heavier load.

As someone who is 6 feet tall with really large feet, I generally cruise with a large but not oversized suitcase, a backpack and my laptop bag. I'm sure a woman who is 5'2" could pack exactly the same number of clothes and shoes and get away with a smaller bag!

I also find that activities impact my packing -- whether I need formalwear, hiking shoes, additional warm layers, etc.

I'm a big fan of re-wearing evening wear, dressing up a top at night and then wearing it during the day dressed down (this only works in certain climates, with certain daytime activities) and coordinating colors so I can bring as few shoes as possible.

You can find good tips in our story, How Not to Overpack for Your Cruise: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2733

I thought I packed well for evenings. I had several different styles of black dresses, different jewelry, some scarves etc. to change them up. I took only one pair of heels, but several pairs of other shoes and could have cut back there. I did not plan to do ANY laundry, but mainly because none of my clothing goes into the dryer. I'm already beginning to think about our June cruise (Baltic).

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer:

1. When I was young and strong, I usually traveled with a carry-on sized bag plus a shoulder purse or tote, and a versatile jacket on my arm, so I had nothing to check. One pair of shoes was on my feet ( walking shoes), the other, sandals, were in the rollaboard, which had coordinated wash and wear Magellans style versatile casual clothing, with handwash detergent. I had a toothbrush and paste and comb but did not wear makeup or need toiletries or creams etc, other than the soap or shampoo in the hotels or on ships so that kept the weight down. No formal nights required ( and I could fake it with black slacks and a gold necklace and the dark sandals) and I did not need extra space for putting shopping stuff, as I did not shop. No meds or special supplies were needed. I could go six weeks with this through European ( west and east including Alps) summer and early fall weather variations ( had a little Knirps umbrella), but it would not be enough for Antarctica or Siberia, if that were on the agenda.

2. No way can I do this now, as I cannot even lift a full rollaboard into the overhead anymore ( muscle problems). Just my meds alone ( the regular ones plus the backup " prn" emergency pharmacy I bring when going overseas) and modern electronics, chargers converters, and comfort props I need for my less than optimal health take up space, e.g., I carry a "just in case"

small camping thermarest and inflatable cushions in case mattress or seats are hard, ( I have actually used the thermarest in luxury hotels and on a ship when a topper was not available) plus battery-operated little fans, take up most of my carryon space. And an iProp for my ipad on my knees sure comes in handy when reading cruise critic or typing lying on the bed :) though it is not "essential." As I have had multiple recurrent skin cancers I have to lather on a special sunblock every two hours per my dermatologist if going outside even if I do not sit right in the sun, and that takes up weight and space. I get hot easily and sweat a lot from meds I take, so I frequently have to change clothing, e.g., I am not one of the cruisers able to wear the same shirt and pants two days in a row to save on space or laundry fees, so I need backups.

So I land up with one fullsized, four-wheeled Briggs and Riley sturdy bag to check, between 50 and 60 lb for a three week trip ( land and sea) , where weather can go from very hot to cold requiring a coat and hat, plus the carryon backpack and purse with essentials I do not dare check on the outbound in case luggage is lost or stolen ( has happened to us) and which I can place on top of or on my rolling suitcase, e.g., if there is no cart and no one to help at an airport even for money.

Still, I keep the weight down by bringing only three or four pairs shoes ( walking and excursion shoes, backup walking shoes if the first set gets wet like in Alaska after a hike, versatile step-in shoes for all-around and airports, and only one pair of "shinies" for dinners.

DH, with even more electronics and lenses as he is photography obsessed and also has to often work electronically from the ship with the biggest laptop screens, packs the same ( minus the shinies :) ). Fortunately neither of us needs CPAP equipment yet, or that would be even more weight, but many older cruisers carry it (advanced age and being overweight being the two biggest risks for sleep apnea, worsened with alcohol which there is no shortage of on SB so people with bad apnea should not skip taking their equipment to save on weight and should not check it either).

DH and I once made the mistake of having a third large bag instead of just two and were in London after 7/7/05 trying to navigate the subway stairs when elevators and escalators were broken or shut off and all was in chaos, and we could not get a cab, and that taught us never to bring more stuff than one can pull or carry oneself, even if it is very slowly.

3. If health is even worse, and you have both health needs and also like variety, bags packed may need to be even more abundant: on our last SB cruise there was a couple with the lady in a wheelchair, and her lady attendant. They all dressed up elegantly for evenings. The three of them had, (per the man) over 20 different bags with them ( and people hired to get them to and from the ship in style and comfort). I imagine they might have been able to get by with half that, even with the extra wheelchair supply needs, but I am not one to best judge this.

4. People who are proud that they can pack light with just carryons are usually those who do not need stashes of backup meds and other supplies, and are generally also relatively healthy people, regardless of age. I salute you all, and fondly remember the days when I was like you. I am just happy that I still have the option of traveling and cruising at all even with my special supply and comfort needs. Luxury travel and cruises make a lot of things easier and lighter too ( no need to bring shampoo or conditioner to a Hapag Lloyd cruise as their products are lovely, and on SB and HL I can order a topper and all the extra towels and bed pillows I want, etc.)

OMG I look down the hall also to compare luggage sizes! I am an over-packer and practicing accepting it without self criticism or the need to compare. Just arrived in Miami pre-cruise yesterday for 10 nights total. 1 very large suitcase, garment bag, small suitcase and carry on (plus tote bag) for the 2 of us.

When I was working and needing to get through airports fast, I would travel with carry-on bags only and that was never a problem for business trips.

Nowadays the only real issue is how many bags the airline will allow me to take. There is no special reason to try to pack light when there is no extra burden to taking two or three suitcases.

So, as a practical matter, I usually travel with one checked suitcase, one rollerboard which may or may not be checked and a backpack - which I keep with me - with meds, camera/lenses, computer and papers. I find that gives me ample space for the clothes I will need. My better half does broadly the same.

Of course, the excellent laundry service on Seabourn means that I don't actually need to pack 8 dress shirts (for example); 4 or 5 will suffice. Same for other garments.

Depends where you are going, and temperature differences. We now mostly cruise in the Med., spring or early autumn, so manage with one largish case and a carryon each. DH only takes one sports jacket, with shirt and tie, for formals, plus more casual gear, and I take, for 14 days, about 7 daytime tops and ditto evening tops, four pairs of trousers in total, sandals, 2 daytime shoes, 1 evening shoes. We are able to use the laundry free, but I truly believe people do not notice to any great extent what you are wearing. We do not swim or use the gym,which helps with quantity of luggage. I guess being oldish has some advantages; I am no longer a fashion icon, but do try to look as nice as possible and in keeping with what is appropriate. Simple clothes and striking jewellery are useful, IMO.

I am trying not to be too critical of how I packed. I was pleased to be able to choose each day what I would wear. I felt well dressed in the evenings (though I was simply dressed--I call it elegant). At home in Dallas, I tend to wear dresses mostly and took quite a few casual dresses on the trip--most I wore--a few not enough to justify taking them. I didn't wear all of my shoes, but I learned something there. I didn't want to just take one pair of shoes for walking in case they became uncomfortable. That didn't happen, but you never know even with the most comfortable shoes. I didn't wear my heels very much. When it came right down to it, I felt well dressed in pretty flats. No one cared--especially not me. Would I leave the heels at home? Probably not.

I don't like to take out time from having fun to do laundry---but I COULD do it and have our bathroom look like a laundry.

Thank you to those who suggested that I not compare myself to others. So--I took one medium sized Tumi suitcase and a Tumi that could be carried on (but I checked it) and one tote bag with my jewelry and about three changes of clothing just in case my luggage was lost. The three changes of clothing COULD have gotten me through the entire cruise--a simple black dress for evenings, black pants and tops for daytime, and a casual dress. I was wearing a pair of flats and had walking shoes in the tote. I might not do it differently next time...

Edited by SLSD

Thank you to those who suggested that I not compare myself to others. So--I took one medium sized Tumi suitcase and a Tumi that could be carried on (but I checked it) and one tote bag with my jewelry and about three changes of clothing just in case my luggage was lost. The three changes of clothing COULD have gotten me through the entire cruise--a simple black dress for evenings, black pants and tops for daytime, and a casual dress. I was wearing a pair of flats and had walking shoes in the tote. I might not do it differently next time...

Your packing strategy sounds very similar to mine. I usually embark with one medium suitcase (checked), one carry-on roller bag, and my laptop tote (also all Tumi). My mother does the same. I think we DFW gals just like to be well prepared! :halo:

I have managed to take a 7 night cruise with ONLY a carry-on bag and my laptop tote. My partner did the same... and I think he struggled with feeling like he had the right clothes more than I did!

I am an overpacker. Now you know my vice. Believe me I have tried to recover from my addiction. However, not even the dreaded airline luggage fees have prevented me from bringing my wardrobe on my travels. Once, I attempted to do the right thing. However, I spent my vacation pining for that sweater that would have been perfect with those pants or lamenting the fact that I really needed to bring my dressy sandals. I have paired down to one large 50lb suitcase, a carry on and a very large (ok. huge) handbag. It is true, that I need to weigh my suitcase several times before travel to make sure I am under those 50lbs. Bravo, to those bright folks who have calculated exactly what they need to bring on their travels. You are my heros!

It's taken us years to cure our overpacking habit but I think we've finally cracked it. It all boils down to realising that almost nobody really notices or cares what you wear provided it's appropriate (so no lime green soccer/gym kit in the Observation Bar please). The secret is coordinating tops/bottoms in 2-3 matching plain colours so, say, 10 items can make at least 20 outfits. Scarves/pashminas + bling for added interest. Maybe 6 pairs of shoes max. Less is more.

We still take a large suitcase each though to accommodate souvenir purchases, toiletries, etc and a neat roller carryon for valuables, meds, etc. No huge camera/lenses to lug around; modern compact digitals are just as good IMO, and an iPad/tablet rather than a cumbersome laptop. A Kindle is a weight/space saving godsend too.

It can be done I promise and it's very liberating!

I am an overpacker. Now you know my vice. Believe me I have tried to recover from my addiction. However, not even the dreaded airline luggage fees have prevented me from bringing my wardrobe on my travels. Once, I attempted to do the right thing. However, I spent my vacation pining for that sweater that would have been perfect with those pants or lamenting the fact that I really needed to bring my dressy sandals. I have paired down to one large 50lb suitcase, a carry on and a very large (ok. huge) handbag. It is true, that I need to weigh my suitcase several times before travel to make sure I am under those 50lbs.

+1 I agree with all of this.

At this point I am able to cope with the extra baggage we have, even when we have included train trips in our travels. I enjoy having choice. I have mix and match clothing but I also love wearing different dresses so I can't resist packing some to wear.

In my opinion there is no right or wrong way. It is what works for the person involved. I for one choose not to have any guilt about bringing extra baggage. Especially since I carry it. :D

Julie

OMG I look down the hall also to compare luggage sizes! I am an over-packer and practicing accepting it without self criticism or the need to compare. Just arrived in Miami pre-cruise yesterday for 10 nights total. 1 very large suitcase, garment bag, small suitcase and carry on (plus tote bag) for the 2 of us.

Where do you keep the pack mule? :D

How do you rate yourself as a packer for cruises? Do you overpack or underpack regularly? On the evening we placed our luggage out in the hallway prior to disembarking, my husband said, "Look Susan---everyone else in our hallway has fewer bags than we do. We overpacked!" To be clear, we each had two bags---a large one (or at least large medium sized) and a smaller bag (the size that can be carried on.) In addition, we each had a tote size bag (really a briefcase size computer bag for my husband). We were amazed when we looked down the hall and saw that most people had just smallish medium bag and a tote size bag.

To be truthful, I didn't wear everything that I brought--and some of the things I brought I should have worn--but just didn't.

So--what kind of packer have you been? And have you vastly improved as a packer as you have become a very experienced cruiser.

How much laundry do you do on a cruise?

I am NOT an overpacker. I only pack in 2 carry ons, a 20" duffel and a tote bag. I do not like going to the carousel and I hate the prospect of losing luggage.

I am normally not an over packer but for cruises it is different. I don’t get to wear a large variety of clothes in my normal at home days. I work from home and live on a small farm, so when we cruise I pack a variety of beautiful clothes. And then shoes or boots to match. I leave some room to bring something back. If possible I pay someone to do my laundry before I leave... I’m on vacation and I’m enjoying every second!