Why is the 25th Feb cruise cheaper than rest of Feb.

uvasag

So looking for cruises in Feb. I was leaning towards the Feb. 18th cruise but the Feb.25th cruise is drastically cheaper. Balcony for Feb. 18th is $2,149 but for Feb. 25th is $1,899 . I can change my plans and sail Feb. 25th if it saves me money but is there a reason why it is cheaper ? Will my changes of seeing whales greatly diminish ? I do want to see whales :)

To see whales is Feb. 18th a good date or should I sail even earlier ?

Cruise ship and line? Perhaps ask on the board for that cruise line? Generally, everything is supply and demand.

February- all of it- is great for whales.

Sorry :) . NCL Pride of America. Will check the NCL board. Thanks

So looking for cruises in Feb. I was leaning towards the Feb. 18th cruise but the Feb.25th cruise is drastically cheaper. Balcony for Feb. 18th is $2,149 but for Feb. 25th is $1,899 . I can change my plans and sail Feb. 25th if it saves me money but is there a reason why it is cheaper ? Will my changes of seeing whales greatly diminish ? I do want to see whales :)

To see whales is Feb. 18th a good date or should I sail even earlier ?

It's anyone's guess how the cruiselines price their cruises. If you see a good price and you can change your dates to 2-25, I'd grab it. No guarantee that price will remain for any length of time. If there is a price drop prior to final payment, you can always rebook to get it, but at least you can lock in a decent price now.

I think perhaps it has to do with the President's Day holiday being on Feb. 20, 2017. This is one day less that the working folks and school kids have to take off in order to travel to Hawaii.

and not too late for whales.

Just a little reading here on the board would confirm what I mentioned earlier. Whales are present through March and into early April. You will be there in peak time.

Also as commonly discussed, there are whales through out the Islands, but probably the most congested area would be off the Lahaina in the channel, on Maui. You don't really even need an excursion there (although that would be a good idea). All you need is a rental car, and drive to Lahaina. Then stop at a pull out for an hour. Then move to another pull out. Then move again. You will see quite a show from land.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are on the Feb. 18th POA cruise because of our grandchildren's school schedule. Many schools plan a short mid-winter break around that weekend. I would love to be able to move to a different week and save some money. But it would be too many school days for the kids to miss.

We are on the Feb. 18th POA cruise because of our grandchildren's school schedule. Many schools plan a short mid-winter break around that weekend. I would love to be able to move to a different week and save some money. But it would be too many school days for the kids to miss.

Agree about kids missing on school but the savings trumped that for me :D

Agree about kids missing on school but the savings trumped that for me :D

Retired teacher here. Sorry, but education always trumps convenience/saving money. There are plenty of school holidays when children can be taken on trips.

And "homework" packets are not a substitute for being in the classroom.

Just my opinion.

Retired teacher here. Sorry, but education always trumps convenience/saving money. There are plenty of school holidays when children can be taken on trips.

And "homework" packets are not a substitute for being in the classroom.

Just my opinion.

Agree with you. Don't want to start an off topic discussion but fully aware of my children's performance and grades :) . Also, trip like these are educational as well.

Just a little reading here on the board would confirm what I mentioned earlier. Whales are present through March and into early April. You will be there in peak time.

Also as commonly discussed, there are whales through out the Islands, but probably the most congested area would be off the Lahaina in the channel, on Maui. You don't really even need an excursion there (although that would be a good idea). /quote]

CruiserBruce, can you recommend any of the whale watching tours on Maui? We would like to take one, maybe on one of the smaller boats but have no idea who would be good. Also, any thoughts about a tour to the volcano on Maui? There two days so easily could do both. We don't want to rent a car; prefer to leave the driving to someone who can take us to the best locations. Any help much appreciated!

We have used Capt Steve out of Mala harbor (just north of Lahaina) at least half a dozen times. Small boat. Great operation.

We have always driven all over Maui, even drove today on Maui, from the airport to Wailea. So can't help with land tours.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thank you. Now need to find his web site or contact information so we can find out how to get to where he is. Any suggestions (other than renting a car! ha)

You can contact Captain Steve at captainsteves.com or call (808) 667-5565. Mala Wharf is located at 1201 Front Street.

P.S. CruiserBruce - We believe a warm Aloha and welcome back to Maui is in order if we recall correctly.

You can contact Captain Steve at captainsteves.com or call (808) 667-5565. Mala Wharf is located at 1201 Front Street.

P.S. CruiserBruce - We believe a warm Aloha and welcome back to Maui is in order if we recall correctly.

Thanks Silver. I found the web site; now just have to arrange something!

Thanks, too, Bruce!