T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

not at all - I am a firm belieber that with anytime dining, I should be able to wear shorts, a golf shirt, and a visor in the mdr, until they (Princess) ups their game and starts treating the mdr as an MDR with QUALITY food and QUALITY service. As far as I am concerned, the mdr is a cattle call buffet with table service.

What venue do you dine at?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Don't worry. He won't be on your Oceania cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:D And, not on yours either!

Enjoy your cruise. As we will. Interested in comparing Oceania to Princess. Food, service, and PAX’s. ;) Btw, I will bring a sports coat to dress up a bit. :)

:D And, not on yours either!

Enjoy your cruise. As we will. Interested in comparing Oceania to Princess. Food, service, and PAX’s. ;) Btw, I will bring a sports coat to dress up a bit. :)

Lots of guys do bring blazers and some few dress up beyond that. But, an oceania cruise really is the poster child for "country club casual."

And you are very good at all of the above. Congratulations you get an A+ for meeting all of your observations.

He'll be very happy on the Royal next March.

Many people are following the suggested rule of dressing up on all nights even though they don't enforce their suggestions to rigerously.

He'll fit right in with the formal crowd. :p

Interested in comparing Oceania to Princess. Food, service, and PAX’s. ;)

I am a regular Celebrity S-class cruiser. I've sailed twice previously with Princess (Grand Class). I'm going a third time on the Regal (Royal class) in 2018 to see how it compares to the S class Celebrity Experience. I'm really looking forward to it, as I've been reading a lot on the CC Princess Board.

I did enjoy the slight decrease in formal dress code on Celebrity as I didn't always want to pack a suit on a Caribbean vacation, so I'll be doing a lot of reading in preparation for my Regal cruise - looks like I'll need a suit for formal nights in MDR.

Main reason for trying something 'different' was due to a perceived drop in the Celebrity product. When searching, I considered MSC, Oceania, and Princess. I'd be very interested in hearing your comparison of Princess to Oceania :)

......... I'll be doing a lot of reading in preparation for my Regal cruise - looks like I'll need a suit for formal nights in MDR.

............... :)

You don't need a (matched) suit, but of course go with it my all means. Separate jacket and pants is absolutely good. You can also drop the tie and go with a jacket combined with nice pants and shirt. Or some do a tie alone. As you have no doubt read, nice pants and long sleeve shirt is admissible and some get by with less. But alternates to a suit are perfectly fine, but a jacket is a nice spruce up for the occasion.

I am a regular Celebrity S-class cruiser. I've sailed twice previously with Princess (Grand Class). I'm going a third time on the Regal (Royal class) in 2018 to see how it compares to the S class Celebrity Experience. I'm really looking forward to it, as I've been reading a lot on the CC Princess Board.

I did enjoy the slight decrease in formal dress code on Celebrity as I didn't always want to pack a suit on a Caribbean vacation, so I'll be doing a lot of reading in preparation for my Regal cruise - looks like I'll need a suit for formal nights in MDR.

Main reason for trying something 'different' was due to a perceived drop in the Celebrity product. When searching, I considered MSC, Oceania, and Princess. I'd be very interested in hearing your comparison of Princess to Oceania :)

Many fairly savvy cruisers looking for real quality often pass over Oceania (and even Azamara) because of the perception that they are "too expensive." Don't make the mistake of only comparing cabin prices with Oceania.

Remember that O includes airfare or an air credit if you DIY. For some intercontinental transit, that means $1500 +\- per person. Complimentary "O Life" perks include unlimited internet and a choice of excursions, alcohol or OBC. Using a top producing TA (who is a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club) will add another 5-10% in OBC. And, on select cruises, "private TA partner sales" will save you an additional 5-15%. BTW, ask your TA about the occasionally available "new cruiser" credit.

On O, things like beverages and specialty restaurants (with what is considered "the best food at sea" - even steaks and lobster cooked "a la minute" nightly in the casual Terrace Grill) are never an extra charge. And "book onboard" adds additional discounts/OBC and a "lowest price" guarantee up to the day of sailing.

Note, as well, that many of the short "first cruise" type itineraries (7-10 days in the Caribbean) have pre-discounted cabin prices similar to the "ship within a ship" mass market offerings.

With ships carrying only 700 or 1100 passengers, there are no thundering herds of humanity. There are also no chair hogs, photogs, art shows, or nickel-diming and smoking is EXTREMELY restricted. Live music includes a versatile band, pianists and the ever present string quartet. Live shows use the same agency as NCL and many of the lecturers are college professors or similar experts.

Bottom line is a "net daily rate" for all anticipated costs on a cruise line that easily meets the needs and preferences of a truly cosmopolitan passenger population, most having worked very hard for their money.

You don't need a (matched) suit, but of course go with it my all means. Separate jacket and pants is absolutely good. You can also drop the tie and go with a jacket combined with nice pants and shirt. Or some do a tie alone. As you have no doubt read, nice pants and long sleeve shirt is admissible and some get by with less. But alternates to a suit are perfectly fine, but a jacket is a nice spruce up for the occasion.

I'm still in the early stages of reading about dress codes ;). Most of my reading so far has been following the Medallion rollout. I didn't realize so many options exist for formal nights - thank you for this information.

So dress pants, dress shirt, tie, and sweater would be acceptable for formal? - I can avoid a jacket (that's what adds weight to my luggage!) I feel it is important and respectful to follow dress code guidelines and I'll do my part in that regard :)

Many fairly savvy cruisers looking for real quality often pass over Oceania (and even Azamara) because of the perception that they are "too expensive." Don't make the mistake of only comparing cabin prices with Oceania.

Remember that O includes airfare or an air credit if you DIY. For some intercontinental transit, that means $1500 +\- per person. Complimentary "O Life" perks include unlimited internet and a choice of excursions, alcohol or OBC. Using a top producing TA (who is a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club) will add another 5-10% in OBC. And, on select cruises, "private TA partner sales" will save you an additional 5-15%. BTW, ask your TA about the occasionally available "new cruiser" credit.

On O, things like beverages and specialty restaurants (with what is considered "the best food at sea" - even steaks and lobster cooked "a la minute" nightly in the casual Terrace Grill) are never an extra charge. And "book onboard" adds additional discounts/OBC and a "lowest price" guarantee up to the day of sailing.

Note, as well, that many of the short "first cruise" type itineraries (7-10 days in the Caribbean) have pre-discounted cabin prices similar to the "ship within a ship" mass market offerings.

With ships carrying only 700 or 1100 passengers, there are no thundering herds of humanity. There are also no chair hogs, photogs, art shows, or nickel-diming and smoking is EXTREMELY restricted. Live music includes a versatile band, pianists and the ever present string quartet. Live shows use the same agency as NCL and many of the lecturers are college professors or similar experts.

Bottom line is a "net daily rate" for all anticipated costs on a cruise line that easily meets the needs and preferences of a truly cosmopolitan passenger population, most having worked very hard for their money.

This is wonderful information and food for thought. I'll revisit Oceania in the future for sure.... rather than sideline this thread with more Oceania questions, I'll start a new thread in the future when timing is right for reconsideration.

With gratitude.

IMHO, I’m afraid you are fighting an uphill battle on Princess Dress Code as it is. The demographics of cruisers is changing. Older cruisers are dying off, being replaced by younger cruisers accustomed to today's more casual lifestyle and manner of dress.

Funny,my wife and I had this exact conversation today.

Not sure we fall into the 'younger' being in our 40's but it's generational for sure. I don't own a tux, or even a tie. I have one suit jacket that I use for weddings and funerals. I'd hate to have to wear that on a cruise!

This will be our first Princess and we were worried before we worked out a plan for formal nights.

I have no issue with a nice golf shirt, khaki's or dress pants, the 'smart casual' as they call it. But I can't imagine wearing something more complicated and my wife would hate gowns as well.

Now I do think limits are fine, but agree it's generational. Would I want to sit next to someone in the MDR who's wearing swim trunks? No. But I think forcing people to wear a tux is a bit too far as well.

As you said, it's a fight they will give up one day, as the trends are away from it. Just like dressing up for taking a plane. My dad wore a suit the few times he flew. Me? I can't imagine flying in anything other then jeans :)

not at all - I am a firm belieber that with anytime dining, I should be able to wear shorts, a golf shirt, and a visor in the mdr, until they (Princess) ups their game and starts treating the mdr as an MDR with QUALITY food and QUALITY service. As far as I am concerned, the mdr is a cattle call buffet with table service.

Really? I thought the MDR on the Regal was pretty damn good!(we're both in the food industry, by the way) The buffet was simply the best I've ever had at sea, period.

One of the many reasons we love Oceania. At one end of the spectrum- no "prom nights." At the other end- no wifebeater tee shirts and backwards turned baseball caps (with the tags left on).

Dinner conversations beyond "How 'bout them 'niners?"

No self-serve grimy-fingers-in-the-food buffets.

Just civilized, cosmopolitan folks who've worked hard for their money and want an experience with quality food, service and accommodations.

Interestingly, we've been on some Oceania cruises where the repeat customers topped 75%, many of who used to cruise on Princess, HAL and Celebrity until they did the math on "net daily rate" for all costs associated with their trip and figured out the relative bargain/value that is Oceania.

We'll be on the Riviera in Jan. We're looking forward to the food. We'll be smart casual along with suit/sport coats just in case.

Just wondering, did that bother you?

And, did it affect the enjoyment of your dining experience or meal?

During the day, I'd be fine. At night, sorry I'd think it would look kind of trashy. The Maître D should have asked him to put on a proper shirt for dinner.

I'm still in the early stages of reading about dress codes ;). Most of my reading so far has been following the Medallion rollout. I didn't realize so many options exist for formal nights - thank you for this information.

So dress pants, dress shirt, tie, and sweater would be acceptable for formal? - I can avoid a jacket (that's what adds weight to my luggage!) I feel it is important and respectful to follow dress code guidelines and I'll do my part in that regard :)

Yes, what you described would be acceptable (meaning you won't be turned away from the DR). Sweater a good idea if you find the AC overly cool.