Aurora Christmas Markets

Daneite

Have just received an offer on Aurora on the 6th December Winter Wonderland cruise. Have never sailed with P&O so hope some of you out there can help. I have fallen in love with this itinery and want to do it WHATEVER!!! My other half is not as sure as me. We are Seabourn lovers, mainly because I am vegetarian and they really do take care of me.

Just wondered if you could answer some queries we have : 1)what is the lowest grade cabin we can have to be able to dine in the cabin ( I have back problems and sometimes usually cannot make it all the way through dinner)

2) Is there a fridge in the room

3) How do they look after vegetarians? ( I do not want the usual sarcastic negative comments, only vegetarians reply please) I do not push my vegetarianism in anyones face so I can do without unnecassary comments!

Please Help us decide if this cruise is for us.

Daneite

Have just received an offer on Aurora on the 6th December Winter Wonderland cruise. Have never sailed with P&O so hope some of you out there can help. I have fallen in love with this itinery and want to do it WHATEVER!!! My other half is not as sure as me. We are Seabourn lovers, mainly because I am vegetarian and they really do take care of me.

Just wondered if you could answer some queries we have : 1)what is the lowest grade cabin we can have to be able to dine in the cabin ( I have back problems and sometimes usually cannot make it all the way through dinner)

2) Is there a fridge in the room

3) How do they look after vegetarians? ( I do not want the usual sarcastic negative comments, only vegetarians reply please) I do not push my vegetarianism in anyones face so I can do without unnecassary comments!

Please Help us decide if this cruise is for us.

Daneite

First of all I can't help on the vegetarian side as I love my meat, but I do know that they have vegetarian options on the menu. I am sure that if you don't like what's on the menu you can ask for something else. Don't take this the wrong way, but I do know some vegetarians that eat fish. Do you eat fish?? I know that they all have different names (vegan, etc etc I don't even know them!!!). If you ask to see the following nights menu before you leave your table the night before and you don't like the vegetarian option then speak to the maitre d and see if they can do you something else. I'm not sure how many of the options are vegetarian. It may be that you only have one choice!!

As for eating in your cabin. I would have thought you need to have a Suite. Possibly a mini suite, but I'm not sure about that. I know that you get a butler in a suite who will serve you meals. I don't think that you get a butler in a mini suite though but as I've not been lucky enough to have one I'm not 100% sure.

There is a fridge in the cabin but it isn't like your fridge at home!! I don't think they work very efficiently. I wouldn't want to put a pint of milk in there if you know what I mean. For the bottled water it is fine, but I wouldn't think it is going to keep much else fresh!!!!!

Now for Aurora. Good job I'm just about to go off to the gym as I could waffle on and on about Aurora!!!! She is my favourite ship. I have not been on Seabourn though. Is it small and intimate??? Aurora is like a floating village. All the staff are friendly, but then we see the same faces all the time and they know us!! Obviously no where near as big as QM2, but slightly bigger or about the same as QE2. It's a bit difficult really to try and tell someone that they should or should not go on a particular ship. Aurora is for me, but it may not be for you. And if you hated it once on board I'd feel awful. I think only you can decide what's best. I am going to miss having xmas on Aurora, as it's Oriana that's doing the xmas cruise. Nothing wrong with Oriana, but Aurora just has the slight edge for me.

I have to say I'd go on Aurora no matter what the itinerary, so if you like the itinerary then seriously consider it. You will hear regulars say how things have changed over the years etc, but one thing remains. The ship is beautiful, the staff are brilliant.

Elaine

Thank you Elaine!!

You have given me every confidence to book this cruise, I just hope that all the other passengers are as great as you are! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this, I had not got a clue and looking on the P&O website did not give me any answers.

After reading my post through again I did not think anyone would bother to answer, I am a little wary of saying anything about being vegetarian as I did once and it got so nasty the posts were removed! It sounds as though Aurora would look after me just fine!

Thanks once again

Daneite

Hello, have booked this cruise also, haven,t been on Aurora but on a recent trip on Oriana a lady on our dinner table was on a very restictive diet and the head waiter was wonderful with her, every evening consulted her on the next day menu,s not only for dinner but lunch also. I think you,ll be well looked after. m.

Thank you Elaine!!

You have given me every confidence to book this cruise, I just hope that all the other passengers are as great as you are! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this, I had not got a clue and looking on the P&O website did not give me any answers.

After reading my post through again I did not think anyone would bother to answer, I am a little wary of saying anything about being vegetarian as I did once and it got so nasty the posts were removed! It sounds as though Aurora would look after me just fine!

Thanks once again

Daneite

I've just done a big reply to this message and it's just disappeared. Anyway, I have been looking at a copy of some menu's that I have (I've only got a couple of copies because if I kept them all I'd have to have a seperate house)!!!!

Anyway, there is 1 choice of starter, soup and main course. If you want an idea of some of the dishes just let me know and I'll post some for you.

I also have a friend who regularly goes on P & O and she is vegetarian. I can ask her for some tips if you like.

Elaine

Thank you Elaine!!

Thanks once again

Daneite

Don't take this the wrong way because I do have friends who are vegetarian, but they eat fish. Do you eat fish???

Elaine

Daneite

Just looking in P & O brochure at something else and in the how to book section it states that if you or any individuals travelling with you have any special dietary or medical requirements this should be made known to us at the time of booking.

Elaine

I am vegetarian and they really do take care of me.

Daneite

I am not a complete vegetarian but did opt on a couple of cruises with P & O for the vegetarian menu.

Each night the head waiter would bring the next day's menus around and if you didn't like the choice on the main menu there was an alternative vegetarian menu. If you wanted something from the alternative menu you would have to make your selection then so that they could prepare it as they like to have 24 hours notice.

If you do not like any of the food that they have brought to the table they are only too happy to bring you something else.

I think P & O are the friendliest ships around and have now been on them quite a few times including the Aurora. Book it and have fun.

Thanks to everyone, you all seem great and so very helpful. My mind is at ease now, I am sure P&O will look after me superbly. In fact it doesn't sound too much different to Seabourn, they only have the one choice on the menu but I can choose anything at all if I do not fancy the dish on the menu, there is a slight problem with that, I am on holiday and I do not want to be thinking about what I want to eat I want someone else to do the planning! The alternative menu sounds ideal to me.

Elaine, In answer to your question I don't eat fish, oh and thanks for looking out the menus, I am sure it will suit me fine, I do like most things but was worried about only having one choice, I don't want to put you to any more trouble so don't worry about posting the dishes

Thank you all once again

Daneite

• 3 weeks later...

I have travelled on Aurora and Oceana as a vegetarian and have been really well treated. The head waiter comes over with the special vegetarian menu which has delightful dishes on it. There is also one vegetarian dish on the standard menu (proper vegetarian, not fish). There are also vegetarian options in the other eating places onboard. Even the grill bar by the pool has veggie burgers. In particular, the 24-hour bistro on Aurora has some very good light vegetarian dishes. You will love it

Judy

My wife and I are vegetarian and have been on 13 cruises with P and O. They really look after you, as the previous posters have stated. Let them know beforehand and the head waiter will come to you on the first night with next day's menus as well. (Don't forget to give him a little tip). Basically, they will also make you anything you want - including the soups.

The intinerary is very interesting. We have just come back off an almost identical one on Golden Princess and we really enjoyed it. Princess weren't as good as P and O at looking after us veggies but we did alright.

Have a great cruise.

Archived