Temperatures while sailing to Hawaii?

Koshlong

We're sailing to Hawaii from San Diego in February. Can anyone give me an idea if the temperatures to expect at the departure port and on the following sea days?

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised from San Diego to Hawaii in May and the first two or three sea days out of San Diego were very cool. Many folks did not have the appropriate clothes. Then it warmed up nicely. As I remember, the seas were never rough during the crossing.

Sea conditions aren't based on time of year as you'll be crossing a current off of the coast of California.

We've been on three holiday time RTs LA to Hawaii (so departures around Dec. 19 or so) and the weather and sea conditions were different for each time. First time, rough and cool on the way to Hawaii, warm (even near LA as they were having a warm spell) and smooth on the way back. Second time, rainy the first few days. Third time, some rain on the way there and back.

when you get closer to the islands, it should be warmer (seems to be in the late 70s there and you could get rain -- it was pouring the whole day our last time in Hilo, but that's normal).

Can anyone tell me if there is a better month to cross the ocean. One less rough than another month. It's been a number of years but we crossed in March and it was quite rough.

The seas can't be predicted. If you have an issue with sea sickness, you must be prepared every day you are on a ship. I would never expect any particular month to be smoother or rougher- that is totally unrealistic.

I agree with Bruce... not only it can very from cruise to cruise but also from day to day.

We sailed from 1/4-1/19/17 and most days the sea wasn't too bad. To Hawaii temperatures were in the mid 60° range up to 70° the day before arriving in Hilo. It was cloudy with some showers & wind closer to LA with mild sea conditions. In the Hawaiian ports the temperatures were in the upper 70° to lower 80° range which is typical for January in Hawaii. I was told that we were lucky to have a sunny day in Hilo which they hadn't had recently. Conditions returning to LA were similar but with fewer showers.

Talking to several crewmembers they said the preceding holiday cruise had much rougher sea conditions and that the forecast for the cruise to Hawaii after ours was also for rougher sea conditions.

Three sequential Hawaii cruises with different conditions. Even the four day cruise scheduled to Santa Barbara & Ensenada after our cruise had to be amended due to the weather. Instead they had a 2-day overnight stay in San Diego & a day in Ensenada.