Huge Lava stream into the Ocean

Molokai-Chuck

The POA will cruise by this lava flow Tuesday evening after leaving Hilo. I am not sure how much can be seen from the ship, but I am sure you will see red glow and steam. Probably a good pair of binoculars would help.

Back in 2004-2008, we used to get closer than they are reported to do these days. As said, it will be a red glow and steam in the darkness. The ships can't get too close as the lava heats up the sea water, and the ship's engines tend to overheat. We used to stop the ship and spin it around 360* to give everyone a view, but we would be watching temperatures and let the bridge know when it was time to get out of Dodge. The ships just recently started sailing around the south side of the island again, when the lava flow started coming that way early last year.

Well, things change quickly with the volcano. Yesterday a large chunk of the sea cliff broke off and fell into the ocean. Details are still sketchy, but it has essentially shut off the spectacular lava "hose." Luckily, no one up on the lava flow or in the lava tour boat in the ocean was killed or hurt. I am sure more info will be in the news today.

Well, things change quickly with the volcano. Yesterday a large chunk of the sea cliff broke off and fell into the ocean. Details are still sketchy, but it has essentially shut off the spectacular lava "hose." Luckily, no one up on the lava flow or in the lava tour boat in the ocean was killed or hurt. I am sure more info will be in the news today.

We saw video of the actual collapse taken from a boat farther away and could clearly see debris falling into the water around the boats. They said some passengers were hit by debris, but thankfully it sounds like no major injuries. Hopefully there will be another flow before long!

I was down at the end of the road in Kalapana today and could see a large steam plume rising in the distance. This means that lava is still flowing into the ocean although the "hose" may be gone. I am sure there will still be something to see from the cruise ships.

I also saw the video of the lava boat tour during the collapse. Close call for sure!!