Tips for Island Princess 2017/2018 Panama Canal Cruises

ccrain

Just got off the Island after 30+ days and 2 trips into the canal. Thought those of you planning for this itinerary in the next couple of months would appreciate a few tips and tricks...:o

Final tidbits and tips from the Island Princess 2017 Panama Canal transits…

1 – The front viewing decks on 10 and 11 are open during the canal transit and are the best views on the ship. However, keep track of the sun, as there is very limited shade unless the sun is behind the ship – as in morning transit, north bound (Pacific to Atlantic) – the sun will rise in the south east and you will have shade. No chairs – standing room only.

2 – Aft deck 8 is still open for viewing at all times. Much smaller than the forward decks, but a very good aft view. No chairs, standing room only, mind the sun!

3 – There are indoor spaces on Deck 8 that have good views, as well as the HC on Deck 14, of the Canal crossing and are in air conditioning. Not as good as outside, but cooler for sure.

4 – For these cruises (R/T LA and LA to FLL), no excursions were offered during the night in Gatun Lake. But it is a perfect night for a UBD!

5 – On the Island, Sabatini’s becomes Alfredo’s pizza from 11:30 to 14:30. Different toppings, but same crust as the Pizzeria in the Lido Deck.

6 – Orange/Red striping on cabin deck carpets on Port hallways (even cabins) – but not everywhere (like the new cabins on the stern of the ship) – so beware. Blue striping on Starboard hallways (odd cabins). Hopefully this will be fixed during dry dock – unless they are moving away from the color coding – in which case we will all be lost!

7 - The lack of the Universe Lounge is really telling on Zumba and Dance classes. Zumba is held on the open deck on sea days at 0900, but it’s hot and the sun can give your hairline a sunburn in very little time. Stake out your space in the limited shade under the edges of deck 15. Same with Line dance class, but its later in the morning and shade is harder to find. Ballroom dance is held in the wheelhouse, but space is very limited on the dance floor and its hot in the space. The Thai Chi at sea is fun, in the wheel house and not too crowded.

8 – Elevators: Forward Elevators from 7 to 14 ONLY. Midship Elevators from 4 to 15. Aft Elevators from 5 to 14. Atrium Elevators from 5 to 8 ONLY.

9 – Don’t miss Encore – even if you don’t like opera. It’s a very well done show. On the Bayou is another one that is great to see on the Island. Look for the riff on Thriller, you will enjoy it.

10 – Callie replays the MUTS movies on Channel 45 the following day after they air on MUTS.

12 – All of the lectures are also replayed on one of the channels and the DNA/genetic lectures are pretty interesting.

13. – The HC menu has specialty luncheons and dinner stations – like Sushi, Mexican, Gourmet burgers, Mongolian BBQ. Mike has started listing these in the Patter so you can plan lunch and dinner accordingly.

14. – The HC has ice cream every night for dinner behind the dessert counter, but you have to ask for it.

15. – Brewed coffee is only available from 0600 in the Patisserie. They also have specialty teas and the normal specialty coffees. The HC has a specialty coffee machine, but no brewed coffee. Sabatini’s has specialty coffee as well.

16. – The covered pool is basically unused after 1800. Great time for that last minute soak in the hot tub or swim in an air conditioned space.

17. – BOGO – Buy one get one for $1 is in the Wheelhouse from 1530 to 1630 nightly.

18. – Not to miss. Escape Room. Callie’s trivia. Callie’s musical, movie or TV theme trivia. (It’s Mr. Ed Callie, not Mr. Rodgers!) Zumba with Walter/Holly or Amparo. Dancing with Romeo. Liar’s Club. Country Wester Night. Deck Party. Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Mongolian BBQ, Gourmet Burger or German night in HC. Marriage Match Game. Encore and On The Bayou. There are more, but I just can’t think of one right now…

Thanks for the tips! We're going on the Panama Cruise on the Coral in January and will these insights will come in handy.

Any advice on good excursions?

Huatulco

DIY - Beach front Octopus Zeviche and Jet Skiing right off the ship

Excursion - Tequila and Mezcal Tasting

San Juan Del Sur

DIY - Wandering through town, drinking and eating

Excursion - Hacienda Tour

Costa Rica - Punta Arenas

DIY - Go outside the port area

Excursion - Walk in the Clouds

See my live from thread for details...

Huatulco

DIY - Beach front Octopus Zeviche and Jet Skiing right off the ship

Excursion - Tequila and Mezcal Tasting

San Juan Del Sur

DIY - Wandering through town, drinking and eating

Excursion - Hacienda Tour

Costa Rica - Punta Arenas

DIY - Go outside the port area

Excursion - Walk in the Clouds

See my live from thread for details...

Thanks so much! Will now read your next thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tidbit information!!

We are going on the Island in April for the round trip LA ~ Panama Canal.

Hubby likes to get up early to take sunrise photos and makes sure to catch the sunsets as well. I think his camera is going to get a work out on this cruise!!

Thanks for sharing!!

We just got off the LA round trip, Sept. 23 to Oct. 12, have to say overall a really good cruise. MDR food was very good, ate one time in the HC and afterwards never got out of the bathroom/off the toilet, never again to the HC slop trough, saw way too many "staking their shaded loungers" and leaving only to return an hour later, what's with people using/taking 6+ towels?

thank you ccrain. Your live thread has being very informative, I just hope we don't get the rains you did.

Questions: are there some parts of the ship that goes dark at night, to facilitate star watching? I figure being out in the middle of the ocean or anchored off Gastun Lake will provide great star gazing opportunities, if the ship's external lights doesn't ruin my night vision

thank you ccrain. Your live thread has being very informative, I just hope we don't get the rains you did.

Questions: are there some parts of the ship that goes dark at night, to facilitate star watching? I figure being out in the middle of the ocean or anchored off Gastun Lake will provide great star gazing opportunities, if the ship's external lights doesn't ruin my night vision

On the designated star gazing nights they try to darken the ship as much as allowed but there is always some lights from the deck areas and MUTS all the time. Its not optimal, but better than a hotel in a city for sure, just not as good as camping out under the stars! The best places for viewing with minimal lights are the splash pool forward and the sports court areas aft on Deck 16.

Thanks for your tips and tidbits. I am going to copy and post into our Roll Call for the big S.A. journey in January which includes a S-to-N transit towards the end of the voyage.

I hope we have same entertainment staff based on more than one person's view. And I hope the HC chef's remain. We generally use to DR for dinner, but variety will be desirable for 60 days, so I look forward to some of the theme nights you mentioned and hope they are able to build in lots of variety for 60 days.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, we are on the Island December 21, did you try any of the exercise classes, looking forward to Zumba.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only issue with Zumba is that its held on the open deck in the sunshine, where it can be quite hot and steamy. Line dance is typically held right after at the same place..

Thanks for sharing your experiences, we are on the Island December 21, did you try any of the exercise classes, looking forward to Zumba.

Also on the Panama Canal cruise in Dec 2017, does anyone know what other events/dances/etc. are planned? I can't seem to find anything that tells me what's going on when. Thanks.

Also on the Panama Canal cruise in Dec 2017, does anyone know what other events/dances/etc. are planned? I can't seem to find anything that tells me what's going on when. Thanks.

I went ahead and scanned the patters for the 19 Day R/T LA and the 15 Day LA to FLL cruises. I had to scan Tabloid and in Black and White to prevent hard drive overload, but here are the links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tr_NfKmKIJGTC9XnShqtFC-HAZOXufpQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kPgbw_XvLkfGHFDbs1OeDArvKTMbr4NM/view?usp=sharing

This should give you a good idea as to the kinds of entertainment and theme nights.

BUT I don't think Mike or Callie will be on the December cruise so you are at the mercy of the team on-board at the time...

Who was your captain on your cruise? We will be on the Island beginning Dec 6th, we received an email from Princess that the captain for our cruise would be Michele Tuva. Last year we were on the Star Princess From Vancouver to Los Angeles, he was our captain. He was the friendliest, most outgoing captain we have ever sailed with. He was all over the ship, greeting passengers. When he made announcements over the PA he would begin you hoo, and after the announcement he would say bye bye.

Who was your captain on your cruise? We will be on the Island beginning Dec 6th, we received an email from Princess that the captain for our cruise would be Michele Tuva. Last year we were on the Star Princess From Vancouver to Los Angeles, he was our captain. He was the friendliest, most outgoing captain we have ever sailed with. He was all over the ship, greeting passengers. When he made announcements over the PA he would begin you hoo, and after the announcement he would say bye bye.

Mariano Manfuso