Rotterdam/Amsterdam to Eerde Netherlands

Hflors

I am trying to travel to a little town about 96 km from Rotterdam. It is called Eerde. I wish to visit the 101st Airborne monument. My mother and father paid for the original one to be placed there many years ago (it has since been replaced with a larger and newer one) but the last time I saw a photo the little one they had erected is still there. Anyway our ship docks in Rotterdam and I would like to ask anyone who is familiar with the area what is the best way to get from Rotterdam (or we could take a train to Amsterdam) and go from there. When I try to enter the trip it keeps telling me we will need to walk from train/bus terminal 1.2 km to Eerde. The only other option is to drive??? Since we do not speak Dutch I don't think this would work.

Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I am not familiar with Eerde. There are a few villages with that name. I assume you are talking about Eerde (near Vught/Den Bosch?) However there is an excellent website for all public transportation, also in english.

By putting in the point of departure and point of arrival it will give you all details. It seems indeed a bit complicated to get there.

https://9292.nl/en

Renting a car is an option, but be aware traffic will be very busy around Rotterdam. Also parking, gas etc. are also very expensive.

Maybe check for a private driver? I donot know any around Rotterdam, but other cruisers have used this man. Maybe this works for you too. http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

You want Eerde North Brabant. Google maps shows it as a pretty easy drive from Rotterdam, but complicated (two trains and a bus) by public transport. A taxi would be the easiest, but probably the most expensive. It looks like you could hire a small car for around 120 Euros (Auto would cost more) - petrol would add another 15.

I think we are leaning toward the public transportation. We thought about renting a car, but after Eerde we want to continue thru Germany, Switzerland and on to Italy.

FYI - This little town was very special to my father. He served in the 101st Airborne during WWII. He was in a terrible battle with the Germans in this town before finally liberating it. He lost many friends there, he was saved by a 10 yr old boy who took a great chance and told my father where the Germans were. I will tell you that each time my father went back after the war they treated him very well. Anyway years ago my parents paid for a plaque to be erected honoring my father's friends who fought and died liberating this little town. The man who made the plaque added my parents names at the bottom as they are the ones who paid for it. My parents are gone now and I have always wanted to go to this little town to see the plaque and put flowers on it. I am getting older and this will be my one chance.

Anyway thanks for all your help.

Yes it is. The small one off to the right (left from the new one) is the one that my parents paid to have erected years ago. It names all the men who were killed in Eerde.

I am not familiar with Eerde. There are a few villages with that name. I assume you are talking about Eerde (near Vught/Den Bosch?) However there is an excellent website for all public transportation, also in english.

By putting in the point of departure and point of arrival it will give you all details. It seems indeed a bit complicated to get there.

https://9292.nl/en

Renting a car is an option, but be aware traffic will be very busy around Rotterdam. Also parking, gas etc. are also very expensive.

Maybe check for a private driver? I donot know any around Rotterdam, but other cruisers have used this man. Maybe this works for you too. http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

Ine - thank you very much for the link. I have e-mailed them and am waiting for an answer. Helen