Reduces Service Charge (or OBC) if no Room Steward Service all week?

We were at a Disney Resort last month. At check in they asked if we would like a $60 gift card redeemable at any store or restaurant in the parks if we gave up the daily maid service. We could call House Keeping any time for additional towels, special requests, etc, for no charge, but otherwise no daily maid service.

We went for it.

Never saw the maid once all week, our room was undisturbed all week.

Grabbed some extra towels from the pool area one afternoon.

Spent the $60 gift card on dinner one night.

Left a $10 bill when we left the last morning for the maid that would clean the room in a couple of hours.

Would you take the credit if RCL offered something similar?

How much would it need to be?

We were at a Disney Resort last month. At check in they asked if we would like a $60 gift card redeemable at any store or restaurant in the parks if we gave up the daily maid service. We could call House Keeping any time for additional towels, special requests, etc, for no charge, but otherwise no daily maid service.

We went for it.

Never saw the maid once all week, our room was undisturbed all week.

Grabbed some extra towels from the pool area one afternoon.

Spent the $60 gift card on dinner one night.

Left a $10 bill when we left the last morning for the maid that would clean the room in a couple of hours.

Would you take the credit if RCL offered something similar?

How much would it need to be?

Nope.

I think we would do this, yes. We often ask them not to constantly replace our towels, as it's such a waste to use them only once. Also we feel bad when we sleep in and they almost seem to lurk, waiting for us to get up, and if gets just too late, they seem to go into hyper mode in the evening to make up for it. I know a lot of people like this kind of upkeep, but we would enjoy a credit of some kind much more. How much? 50 or more probably, it's hard to do much for less, or something like 10/day of the trip. But I would also wonder if people might give less/none in gratuities, which is a low thing to do. My last concern is that rooms like this might take more time to clean on turn-around day, which would delay an already insane day for the crew. Certainly an interesting idea though.

It's great to save a few bucks...but...at the cost of un-employing someone that needs that job to support their family back home. Nope.

Reminds me of my great aunt. Years and years ago when we went out to eat. She would insist we leave our fast food trays on the table. In her mind our clearing our own tray (with food wrappers) was taking away someone's job and making it so the fast food restaurant owners didn't need to pay as many staff to keep the place clean. It seemed like such a random thought to me all those years ago. But you know what, she was right.

I wouldn't trade a week worth of returning to a clean room on a cruise ship for one dinner. $60 to spend at Disney gets a dinner that barely rates Applebees quality. I don't know at what dollar amount I would bite, but it would have to be more than $60, and I don't want it as OBC to use for onboard inflated prices.

If you wait and decide at check in, no way to forecast staffing. It's not like you can call some part time cabin stewards to come in

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Well, they'll still need to clean every room in the few hours between sailings, so I don't think they'd reduce staffing based on this theoretical situation

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

As the one who cleans at my home... changes beds, makes them, washes everything - I LOVE to be spoiled while on a cruise :) If I don't want them to disturb me I'll put the sign on the door but otherwise I love having my room cleaned.

Agree! Interesting concept but the older I get the more I enjoy all types of pampering. Marriott offers something similar in some of their properties by offering points if maid service is declined. I have done that for a short 2 nite stay but wouldn’t for a full week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums