What little things you've noticed on Princess ships?

DrivesLikeMario

In the MDRs, Princess has long had their "everyday" or "always" menu items which are there all the time as an alternative to the menu of the days. Traditionally there is a meat, chicken, fish (usually salmon) entree on that list. At one time I recall that Princess had some kind of steak (my senior mind is not sure but it might have been a strip steak). Then I believe it changed to some kind of beef medallions. On our most recent cruise (2 weeks ago) it has now changed to a "hamburger." Some may disagree, but we find this shameful.

Hank

Rolls dry as dust on the outside. Same for all bread-type foods - breakfast rolls, coffee cakes all dry, dry, dry.

We just came off the Regal where we thought all the rolls and bread were excellent. At a couple of our tables the consensus was that the bread baker onboard...really knew his/her business. On other cruises it has not been as good. Cruise lines do try to maintain consistency across their ships but the reality is that some bakers, cooks, chefs, hotel managers, etc. are just better then others.

Hank

We just came off the Regal where we thought all the rolls and bread were excellent. At a couple of our tables the consensus was that the bread baker onboard...really knew his/her business. On other cruises it has not been as good. Cruise lines do try to maintain consistency across their ships but the reality is that some bakers, cooks, chefs, hotel managers, etc. are just better then others.

Hank

Well, sadly, the 3 ships I've been on the bread situation was the same. Hopefully, one day, I'll hit a ship that has that great break baker.

Hank

We certainly agree with you. We got off the Regal onto the Crown and the bread rolls were not nearly as good. In fact I think I lost the weight I'd put on during the first cruise by not eating the bread rolls on the second cruise :D

In the MDRs, Princess has long had their "everyday" or "always" menu items which are there all the time as an alternative to the menu of the days. Traditionally there is a meat, chicken, fish (usually salmon) entree on that list. At one time I recall that Princess had some kind of steak (my senior mind is not sure but it might have been a strip steak). Then I believe it changed to some kind of beef medallions. On our most recent cruise (2 weeks ago) it has now changed to a "hamburger." Some may disagree, but we find this shameful.

Hank

Me too, quite pathetic.

I loved the rolls on the Royal Princess recently. In fact, we were all trying different ones each night, bread basket emptied out pretty much. I don't think the hamburger thing is a big deal, not at all. I don't order it but look at it as a sign of the times. People want simpler food, cruise lines have adjusted to it with the all American menu choices in particular.

This maybe a holdover from the old days but the desk will give you a postage type "stamp" for your current cruise that is for a passport type book. Pretty neat along with our pins for each level.

We were able to get one for each of the first two cruises we took. The Princess stopped it. But, apparently, for whatever reason, they've started them again, as we were able to get them on our recent cruise.

Somewhere I have some old pins, wish I had saved those stamps! :) The one thing I've been bummed about, I broke my crystal glass with sea witch etched in it. It was very cool.

I agree, the pins are somewhere but I used to throw the stamps away when we were still on the ship. Sorry I did that now.

Hank

Agree. Having a burger as only beef choice is not good.

I wonder what happened to Papaya? They used to have nice big ones, then little pieces and now it seems gone completely?

we found out late in the cruise from our MDR waiter that we could ask for it. So, we did. Alas, it also arrived on a plate unpeeled ... but we got some.

you can't take the Vines stemware out of Vines. They will pour your remaining wine in a different glass that is used ship wide

This is also true of the specialty restaurants. I can understand that they don't want to lose their Reidel (or whatever) crystal. BTW, the best bread I have ever had at sea was on a MSC cruise - they had an Italian bakery onboard and in the Yacht Club offered around 5 choices - all very petite so you could sample them all. The bread they made was fresh daily and just incredible!