Cozumel Snorkeling

mamabearjp

We are sailing in June on Carnival. Cozumel Bar Hop was recommended to us, but from what I've read on another post, swimming may not be recommended? Didn't know if that was just because of the time of year, or always?

We did the Chakanaab Park last year and really enjoyed it, but want to see more. I've heard there's a restaurant that has a place to snorkel close to the pier. Would that be better? Too crowded? or is there something else someone would recommend?

Thank you for any info! :)

Jess

We are sailing in June on Carnival. Cozumel Bar Hop was recommended to us, but from what I've read on another post, swimming may not be recommended? Didn't know if that was just because of the time of year, or always?

We did the Chakanaab Park last year and really enjoyed it, but want to see more. I've heard there's a restaurant that has a place to snorkel close to the pier. Would that be better? Too crowded? or is there something else someone would recommend?

Thank you for any info! :)

Jess

The Bar Hop visits the other side of the island where the currents and undertow are said to be strong and riptides occur. Ocean swimming is therefore not recommended although there are some sheltered areas for cooling off. the first stop on the hop has a small pool also. However time is of the essence on the hop and you have about 50 minutes at each stop so you would need to allow time to change and get dry to return to the bus when it is time to move on. the first stop is probably the best of the four to get wet if you want which may/may not be when you want to go in since it is the first stop and early in the day.

There are several restaurants bars close to the piers for snorkeling:

Money Bar is the one generally recommended on here but there is also Sky Reef and more recently Tortugas which I haven't been to. There is also the more rustic bar location at Playa Corona.

Not sure about your visit times, but you likely can do bar hop or arrange for a driver for 3 or so hours to see the other side of the island, and then finish up at the Money Bar for snorkeling, drinks and great nachos.

You could certainly arrange for a private driver for 3 hours to tour round the east side and visit the same places as the bar hop (and additional customized stops) and then get dropped off at the Money Bar, or one of the other snorkel places I mentioned, and get an independent taxi back, if your port hours are long enough.

I doubt you would have time to do it combined with the Bar Hop since it is 4+ hours and is scheduled to fit in with the majority of ships in port on a given day.

We have done both, Bar Hop and independent tour and there are pros and cons with both options.