Why aren’t the hot tubs open later?

dogsaysmoo

I'm sorry but I just had to answer this post. I don't drink alcohol at all. I would love to relax in a hot tub before going to bed. It helps relax my arthritic joints so I can sleep. Not everyone wanting to use the hot tub late is naughty. I hate this kind of generalizing things.

Completely agree with you, here. It's fun and "hip" to joke about it, but if other cruise lines can keep their hot tubs open 24/7, there's no reason -- other than staffing -- that Carnival can't.

I used to love going to the Serenity hot tubs on Imagination late-night, with the wake curling off into the moonlit distance. They were open til midnight, and on one night til 2 am (they forgot to close them :) )

I'm sorry but I just had to answer this post. I don't drink alcohol at all. I would love to relax in a hot tub before going to bed. It helps relax my arthritic joints so I can sleep. Not everyone wanting to use the hot tub late is naughty. I hate this kind of generalizing things.

On the Pride they have a jacuzzi in the fitness/weight room. I don't remember what the hours were, but this might be an option for you. I don't think drinks other than water were allowed in the gym so it should be a little cleaner.

I feel the same way as the OP. I'm a night owl and one of my favorite things to do on a cruise is go in the hot tub at night after dinner (we do the late dining) and just relax. Especially on nights when there's not a show that looks good. There unfortunately isn't much time after dinner before they're closing the hot tubs. I have asked John Heald this question only to be met with a response that it takes all night to sanitize the tubs. I was on NCL and their hot tubs were open early to late. I really wish Carnival would re-look at this. If they're worried about late night hanky panky, then maybe they could just open the mid-ship ones since more people are around.

I feel the same way as the OP. I'm a night owl and one of my favorite things to do on a cruise is go in the hot tub at night after dinner (we do the late dining) and just relax. Especially on nights when there's not a show that looks good. There unfortunately isn't much time after dinner before they're closing the hot tubs. I have asked John Heald this question only to be met with a response that it takes all night to sanitize the tubs. I was on NCL and their hot tubs were open early to late. I really wish Carnival would re-look at this. If they're worried about late night hanky panky, then maybe they could just open the mid-ship ones since more people are around.

Carnival closes everything early. Trying finding a bar open at 4am

I've never understood the appeal to get into a hot tub while cruising in the Caribbean when it's 80 + degrees. But then, I've never wanted to be a member of the Polar Bear club either.

I thought the same thing. We did a Med cruise on the Breeze a few years ago, and it was SOOO hot everywhere we went! The last thing we wanted to do was get in a hot tub after a long hot day of touring in port. But then near the end of the cruise we realized our mistake. They don't keep the tubs super hot, which suits my personal preference anyway. We finally checked out the hot tub one evening and it was marvelous. So relaxing. The jets are like getting a massage without the high spa prices. Add a tropical drink and it was heaven. We used the one on Serenity so no kids splashing around. It really was great and we enjoyed talking to other people in the tub.

As for people doing things they shouldn't in the hot tubs, well, I guess it could happen. It could also happen in the pool, or the showers in the spa, or any number of other places if people get creative. I'm not going to live my life worrying about what "might" happen. If I did that, I would never come out of my cabin. Come to think of it, who knows what has gone on in my cabin? Maybe I should never leave my house!

The difference between Carnival's policy and other lines may not be due to staffing levels, as much as that theory is so popular explaining everything that folks don't like. It could be due to construction differences. The hot tubs need to be shut down and sanitized daily, which takes about 2 hours for each hot tub. Many ships, that have "clusters" of 2-4 hot tubs in one area, use a common return water tank for all of the tubs in the cluster. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to close one hot tub in the cluster down, super chlorinate it and its associated pump and piping for the required length of time, without co-mingling this dangerous water (100ppm chlorine) with the other hot tubs in the cluster.