Should I rent a car to go to Sandals?

Joebucks

I will be docked in St Lucia from about 8-5. I'm planning on getting a day pass at Sandals, and the Grade St Lucian seems like the one I want to go to, but seems more costly to get to. I figure a taxi both ways is probably going to cost me way more than a rental car, and maybe take longer. Thoughts?

I will be docked in St Lucia from about 8-5. I'm planning on getting a day pass at Sandals, and the Grade St Lucian seems like the one I want to go to, but seems more costly to get to. I figure a taxi both ways is probably going to cost me way more than a rental car, and maybe take longer. Thoughts?

Nope. A taxi will run around $70-80 round trip, drive you directly there, no hassle or fuss.

Rental car will run you around $70-100 per day plus insurance and local temporary license ($26USD), plus you then get the joy waiting/meeting rental company, going over paperwork (added 15-30 minutes you could already be on your way), navigating the narrow roads and side streets, driving on the wrong side of the road and extra stress of the whole experience, plus being back earlier to meet rental company, finish paperwork, etc.

Save the stress - you're very, very unlikely to save any $$$ renting a car, especially as it will be sitting idle the whole day anyway...

Now another question. What if I took a taxi to Halcyon and took the shuttle to the Grande?

Perfectly fine and doable. Cab to Halcyon is $25, and around 15-20 minutes . Then you have to wait on the shuttle, hope there's space for everyone, time the shuttle for refund to Halcyon (or take taxi back from Grande) to save $20? Unnecessary extra hassle in my book, but if course doable.. You're just adding another 20-30 minutes minimum to the time it takes to get the the Grande (arrival at Halcyon, pay for day pass, wait on shuttle, wait for shuttle to fill, etc)....

I see they have buses from around the cruise port to Gros Islet for $1.50 That seems like the way to go. No?

Sure, if you have a lot of time to waste waiting around, then enjoy a 20 minute walk, at least, from bus drop off to resort.

You're best bet for a bus us to walk into Castries and board at the bus stand. You'll want the one for Cap Estate. Board, wait for bus to fill up - can take a few minutes upwards of 15-30 minutes, depends on how many people want to go when you do.. Drive up to Cap with all the attendant stops along the way , usually around a 40 minute drive, give or take. Walk in from drop off by Pigeon Island, another 20 minutes or so.. On average, you're looking at around 1.15 or so hours to get there, if you're lucky with the bus filling up.

You could alternatively wait at the bus stand eight outside the port (10 minute walk or so) - when a bus wirh space for you and yours cones by, they'll stop. Considering it's such easy walking distance from the actual starting point, it will take a while to get a bus that has space - especially if there's more than one in your party. Once you do get a bus, same process above..

Is there a reason you're not willing to just get a cab? Is there a reason you're set on Sandals? If you're wanting an adults only all-inclusive, have you considered Rendezvous? It's 20 minute walk or $10 cab ride from the port, adult couples only AI..

Or do you just want a good beach with drinks and Food included? Head to Vigie beach, again 25 or so minute walk or $10 cab ride, great boardwalk with local eats and drinks at very reasonable prices - likely a whole lot less than you'll spend for a day pass at a resort..

Good luck, enjoy.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, reedprincess said:

Nope. A taxi will run around $70-80 round trip, drive you directly there, no hassle or fuss.

Rental car will run you around $70-100 per day plus insurance and local temporary license ($26USD), plus you then get the joy waiting/meeting rental company, going over paperwork (added 15-30 minutes you could already be on your way), navigating the narrow roads and side streets, driving on the wrong side of the road and extra stress of the whole experience, plus being back earlier to meet rental company, finish paperwork, etc.

Save the stress - you're very, very unlikely to save any $$$ renting a car, especially as it will be sitting idle the whole day anyway...

Hi, Can you verify the cab cost to Sandals Grande St. Lucia for 4 adults round trip from the port, and is there any way to book this in advance or will there be plenty of cabs at the port?  Also, will the driver wait for the half day, or come back and pick us up?  Thanks for any info, Marci 

On 11/14/2018 at 8:17 PM, C2CMH said:

Hi, Can you verify the cab cost to Sandals Grande St. Lucia for 4 adults round trip from the port, and is there any way to book this in advance or will there be plenty of cabs at the port?  Also, will the driver wait for the half day, or come back and pick us up?  Thanks for any info, Marci 

$35-40 one way for up to four persons.. Plenty of cabs ready and waiting at port. And plenty of cabs ready and waiting at Sandals - or make arrangements for the driver to return at a specified time..