Not a Fan!!!

Kat1824

The only thing I didn't care for on the Escape was the pool area really. It was very congested and didn't like the look or layout. Waterfront was a big hit. Room looked nice and was comfortable, but very narrow. Entertainment and food both very good. Had UBP so that helped; if I didn't I'd feel like much of ship was for $$$$. I'd go again though; it was a good cruise.

I recently wrote a review on Escape but it seems they won't post it so here goes. We have been on to other cruise lines and enjoy them both this was our first time ncl.

I kind of felt during the trip there was never enough space anywhere wall-to-wall people and we did not really enjoy it . The area was extremely disappointing due to the size of the pool not enough pools and no tables to sit down and it's overcrowded we never even got a chance to go in the pool . We got off the ship before the hurricane Was to hit.

I also felt like it was the please bring your extra checkbook cuz there are extras everywhere -charges. !!!! Pay extra for shows glow cups etc. I mean really even Starbucks n bake shop was extra to and hardly ever open.

They said they would pro rate our unused days well the amount we got back is very disappointing! They also want to give us 25% towards another cruise u have to book it in one year and well this is not possible since our schedules for work are very hard.

So disappointed in NCL.

You will be missed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In response to crowds, as other posters have said, yes, this is a common problem around the pools and in the elevators on the larger NCL ships. I remember about losing my sh!t because our first time on the Escape I was hangry and the boarding chaos once inside the ship was nuts. Luckily we were experienced cruisers, and knew where to go for food. It just took patience to muddle through the first 10 minutes of people. Same after the life boat drill. NCL deserves some flack for traffic flow issues, but know it's also a small city on a ship when you choose a mega ship.

I wonder if this is your first cruise, and you weren't prepared with what to expect related to extra costs. There are probably posts about this every five pages on here. :-) Any main stream cruise line approaches "extras" this way. There is PLENTY included in your cruise price. It just stinks to see something you think is included, only to find out it's not. I get that. Now, next time you cruise, whatever mainstream line (Carnival, Norwegian, Royal, Princess, Celebrity), you'll be more prepared. In fact, NCL is nice that it has some of the best options at sea, especially on the mega ships. So while there might not be as much "upcharging" on a smaller Princess ship, you have more options on the Norwegian Escape. So it might feel like the Escape nickels and dimes, but your fare-included items really include pretty much the same things across lines.

I hope you give cruising another shot!

It's not our first cruise , we have been on Royal and Carnival the midsize ships this is our first time on a really large ship. We really liked Royal and thought we would give ncl a try but we were disappointed.

Yes I know there are crowds and how to avoid them - but now that I know large ships are not for us but still come on. 39 people in one pool for a city of 4500 or more. Well do the math. It just seemed to me that there were extras everywhere. Some lady even grabbed tongs out of my husband hands one morning I mean really it's uncalled for.

oh my, another I want I want poster. I do agree one of the problems with NCL especially the mega ships is the pool area and size of pools. And the location of the elevators is a royal pain, but certainly I would never base a cruise on these 2 factors.

Where did the OP get the idea shows cost extra> We have been to shows on all the NCL ships, only pay if there is a meal, just like other lines. And as for nickel and diming, there is not one thing you are required to pay extra for and lots of actities that cost nothing. If you choose to pay for specialty coffee for instance,that is your choice. I am not about to do so, but many others do. The same, as I am not a lover of mega ships, but not just NCL. I have been on Princess and totally disliked the ship.

OP, I look at your post this way, you felt you needed to vent, fine, you didn't help anyone, didn't give any positive suggestions and you made it clear NCL isn't for you. As for what you were or were not offered due to misisng a little time on your cruise, is it NCLs fault you can not work another cruise into your busy schedule? It is obvious NCL isn't your friend and I doubt you arfe theirs either. Hope you find a cruise that meets your expecations. Be thankful you made it back home before there was any serious damage done to the ship and you are safe.

you don't have to be a jerk !

I've never seen any special glow cups on any cruise so I don't know what that means though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

They have had Glow Cups for sale at the Glow Party for a few years now, at least on Breakaway. Our first time on Breakaway we had mentioned to each other that Glow Cups would be a huge money maker and we wondered why they didn't have them. On our last 2 Breakaway cruises, they had them. You weren't forced to buy them. The are an optional purchase. I'll try and take a picture of one that we brought home with us. I use it as a pencil/rubber band holder. They have on off switches and you can push a button to cycle through slow flash/fast flash/solid on.

It's not our first cruise , we have been on Royal and Carnival the midsize ships this is our first time on a really large ship. We really liked Royal and thought we would give ncl a try but we were disappointed.

Yes I know there are crowds and how to avoid them - but now that I know large ships are not for us but still come on. 39 people in one pool for a city of 4500 or more. Well do the math. It just seemed to me that there were extras everywhere. Some lady even grabbed tongs out of my husband hands one morning I mean really it's uncalled for.

Ok, but you do admit that Royal charges for Starbucks, cupcakes, and glasses that glow, right? I'm on the Oasis right now and saw the drink cups with lights in them for sale. I've also seen unbelievable harassment by sales people to get pax to buy dining and drink packages, even coming after me in Park Cafe and the buffet.

Don't even get me started on the fact that the mall/promenade is nothing but one huge runway for paid photo ops at night.

And the Solarium Pool yesterday was "people soup". And that was a port day.

As for rude people, they're on all lines. Really.

39 people in one pool for a city of 4500 or more. Well do the math.

Even if you ignore the kiddie wading pool and all of the hot-tubs, there are 2 pools for the general publc (one is adult-only during the day).

Even without the Haven pool, there is the adult-only Spa pool (extra cost for access if not booked in a Spa stateroom).

There are options if people want to use a pool that isn't crowded.

I just got off the Escape in August and while I agree the pool can be crowded but I find that the case on almost all cruise ships. I spent a grand total of 20.00 extra for laundry service, plus my gratuities. Your not forced to spend anything extra you choose to. I had a great trip with no extra expenses, so it every cruisers own decisions to spend on extras or enjoy all the free

Stuff you pay for in your cruise fare. So if you feel nickeled and dined look at the choices your making. It's very easy to spend zero extra if you want there's so much included in the price. Just my 2 cents.

I don't agree with that statement at all that Celebrity is a lot higher in price. I'm currently looking at cruises to Asia and NCL is thousands more for a similar itinerary and an inferior drink package.

Last year I did a cruise to Israel and Turkey on Celebrity which was $899 for a 12 night cruise in a Concierge Class cabin that included pre paid gratuities and a drink package. The 11 night on NCL at the same time was $1500 per person standard balcony, didn't include Turkey, and if I selected the drink package I would have had to pay that additional gratuity and not gotten specialty coffee or bottled water included.

I know there is evidence to show the other way too, but all in all the major cruise lines are all pretty similar in pricing when all is said and done.

I think the word that should be used would be generally. We can all find exceptions. The age of the ship, the popularity of the ship and the time when booking. I agree with you but the poster you were referring to as well. There are always exceptions, but NCL is overall much cheaper than Celebrity.

BTW, I just noticed on CC the Epic was voted the second best cruise ship at sea right now. :cool:

OP, it sounds as if the megaships might be the problem, not necessarily NCL. I have sailed only mid- sized ships on any line, and crowding wasn't much of a problem, except for tendering, which is a totally different topic.

There's nickel and diming everywhere, we found it on Celebrity, too. ( Celebrity has great specialty coffee but it's extra unless you have a drink package). We just thank politely and keep going.

We found the Jewel class ships to be a good combination of space and onboard activities. You might enjoy them. I do hope you give NCL another try. But best of luck to you.

I agree especially iced around 1pm.

I have a hard time with Starbucks prices or any expensive coffee house....give me my 100% dark roast Columbian and trusty Bodum French Press and I'm all set.

I guess it has to do with your taste buds or your overall attitude. We have tried Starbucks twice, like you forget it. I am still trying to figure out the draw. I guess it is like wine: to many of us, a nice bottle costing about $15 is just as delightful as a $50 bottle, but to others, unless it is pricey it can't be good.;)

you don't have to be a jerk !

not being a jerk, I agreed with some of what you said. I just pointed out, your venting might have made you feel good, I understand but with no positives and all negatives most people will not pay much attention to what you have to say. And, as for nickel and diming you plus no free shows, this is just plain untrue. As far as the cruise credit only being good for a year, I still say what I did, that isn't NCLs problem. Of course they can't give you a discount and let you use it anytime you want years from now. urlmledngS

Edited by newmexicoNita

Just want to mention that I'm a straight-up GenX who works almost entirely with original-model millennials, the ones who are hitting their 30s now, and I love them. If anyone's going to save us it'll be them. They work hard AND they care about the planet and civil rights.

As for the younger ones who got overly coddled/protected and can't handle real life now, I feel genuine sympathy for them. Going to be a real trial-by-fire. No one to blame there but the parents.

Agreed. My GenXer Harvard scientist is helping, one tree at a time. But both my children work very hard, but enjoy life better than I did at their age. Worked for Kodak 27 years only to be let go at 52.

I just got off the Escape in August and while I agree the pool can be crowded but I find that the case on almost all cruise ships. I spent a grand total of 20.00 extra for laundry service, plus my gratuities. Your not forced to spend anything extra you choose to. I had a great trip with no extra expenses, so it every cruisers own decisions to spend on extras or enjoy all the free

Stuff you pay for in your cruise fare. So if you feel nickeled and dined look at the choices your making. It's very easy to spend zero extra if you want there's so much included in the price. Just my 2 cents.

So very True. MDRs very good. Usually eat late so service is fantastic. Coffee on the ship's is great, not Starbucks but good. you can find excursions online cheaper and better. Unless your a heavy drinker, no need for a drink package. Soda is bad foir you anyway so enjoy a ice tea. Entertainment is free and included. You don't have to be nickel and dime to enjoy all that's available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

My husband and I were on this same cruise. It was one of our favorite cruises. All the staff was friendly and helpful. The food was good to excellent (for a cruise ship). We never felt nickeled and dimes. I am a little disappointed that the Escape is moving to NY in Apr 18. FYI...we were told on the cruise we have 2 years to use the 25% credit. I have to double check my latitudes account. We thought the handles everthing great with the hurricane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. My GenXer Harvard scientist is helping, one tree at a time. But both my children work very hard, but enjoy life better than I did at their age. Worked for Kodak 27 years only to be let go at 52.

So very True. MDRs very good. Usually eat late so service is fantastic. Coffee on the ship's is great, not Starbucks but good. you can find excursions online cheaper and better. Unless your a heavy drinker, no need for a drink package. Soda is bad foir you anyway so enjoy a ice tea. Entertainment is free and included. You don't have to be nickel and dime to enjoy all that's available.

OT, but my dad was employed at the same company as a director for about 25 years, got laid off at 52 after his company was bought by Kodak, only got a partial pension, his boss missed a full pension by 6 months.

I think you'll find that NCL fits more people on their ships then other cruise lines do. For example the Inside rooms on NCL are only 135 square feet whereas on RCL they're 165 square feet (about 20% bigger), and oceanview rooms on NCL are 161 square feet whereas on RCL they're 179-199 square feet (10-25% bigger).

The key is not being where everyone else is. The pools are crowded everywhere no matter what.

I think you'll find that NCL fits more people on their ships then other cruise lines do. For example the Inside rooms on NCL are only 135 square feet whereas on RCL they're 165 square feet (about 20% bigger), and oceanview rooms on NCL are 161 square feet whereas on RCL they're 179-199 square feet (10-25% bigger).

The key is not being where everyone else is. The pools are crowded everywhere no matter what.

Yes, found that out 1st booking NCL Dawn. One reason im looking forward to a balcony or mini suites by bidding. Only good thing about the storms. They are keeping people from doing a late booking. Can't believe how many balcony and mini suite still available with less than 5 weeks to go.