Waimea Canyon/waterfalls tour

Betsypaige

Hi again....

So I've arranged a tour for my first day in Kauai (POA cruise), and I was wondering if you could offer any thoughts on the itinerary beyond Waimea Canyon (because I know that will be spectacular).

It's a private tour, so if anyone has any suggestions to replace anything on here, I'd love to hear them....

Thank you!

We will make our first stop at the Menehune Fishpond, where you'll learn about the mythical Menehune people and discover rare features of the pond, built on a freshwater river rather than the ocean shoreline.

Next, head to the Kauai Coffee Company, the largest coffee plantation in the country. At the visitor center, sample a variety of the finest local coffee. Leaving the plantation, drive through historical Hanapepe - Kauai's "Biggest Little Town".

On our journey to the Waimea Canyon we will stop at the 3 beautiful lookouts (one with the Waipo'o Waterfall).

Your next stop is Kalalau Lookout, which boasts views (weather permitting) of the magnificent cliffs of the NaPali Coast.

Stop at a local diner for a Hawaiian barbecue lunch, or great fish tacos, or tasty shrimp plates (own expense). After lunch, you're taken to Kauai's South Shore to see the famous Spouting Horn. We will stop at Poipu beach to check for endangered Hawaiian Monk seals and Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles. We can arrange for shopping stops if you'd like.

Our last stop will be the Wailua Falls - twin waterfalls from the opening scene of the "Fantasy Island".

Even if I were a shopper, which I’m not, I have no doubt that’s true!

It's a great beach. Public, with changing facilities, showers, parking. All free. The turtles do come up on shore occasionally and the lifeguards will keep people from getting too close.

It's a great beach. Public, with changing facilities, showers, parking. All free. The turtles do come up on shore occasionally and the lifeguards will keep people from getting too close.

Oh great - I’m sure I’ll want to have a quick swim!

I love turtles - can’t wait to see them! I’m glad there are lifeguards there to prevent people from disturbing the turtles; I know they are adorable, but the best thing we can do for them is to let them alone....

I’m so excited - thank you!

We took a helicopter tour one day which flies over the Canyon and NaPali Coastline. The pilot also points out areas of interest. We rented a car the next day and drove through the Waimea Canyon.

I intend to take a helicopter tour of Kauai on my 2nd day in port - I’m so excited for that !

Itinerary sounds great, though it's packed - will be a very full day with probably not enough time allowed to swim at the beach. Another option - it's very simple and inexpensive to rent a car in Kauai and do this on your own. That way you could leave out the things that don't interest you. I'd skip the fish pond and the Spouting Horn and stop at the Beach House Restaurant (in Poipu, near the Spouting Horn) for lunch instead of the diner.

You don't say when your trip is - keep monitoring the news stories to see how much damage the hurricane does to Kauai. If it's extensive, it could take a long time to get roads and some public venues open for business again. Hopefully they won't have anything near the damage that Iniki caused in 1992.

Itinerary sounds great, though it's packed - will be a very full day with probably not enough time allowed to swim at the beach. Another option - it's very simple and inexpensive to rent a car in Kauai and do this on your own. That way you could leave out the things that don't interest you. I'd skip the fish pond and the Spouting Horn and stop at the Beach House Restaurant (in Poipu, near the Spouting Horn) for lunch instead of the diner.

You don't say when your trip is - keep monitoring the news stories to see how much damage the hurricane does to Kauai. If it's extensive, it could take a long time to get roads and some public venues open for business again. Hopefully they won't have anything near the damage that Iniki caused in 1992.

My trip isn’t until next May - so hopefully (for residents far more than for myself) all will be well.

I’ve customized the itinerary a bit after chatting with some folks on Trip Advisor.

We’re going to cut out shopping at the Hawaiian Trading Post, the coffee plantation and possibly the fish pond (I’m not sure) so I can spend an hour at Poipu Beach. Also, this gives me more time to explore Hanapepe, which I wanted.

Lunch is normally in Waimea town, at one of: Shrimp Station, Island Taco, L&L Hawaiian Barbeque, Chicken in a Barrel or Wranglers Steak House. I’m not sure of where we’ll be at around lunch time - Poipu or Waimea. You recommend the Beach House? Have you been to the other places?

Thanks !

Shrimp Station, Island Taco, L&L Hawaiian Barbeque, Chicken in a Barrel or Wranglers Steak House. I’m not sure of where we’ll be at around lunch time - Poipu or Waimea. You recommend the Beach House? Have you been to the other places?[/color]Thanks !

Haven't been to any except L&L once - and we'll never go back. It's a pretty standard chain available in many locations even in the US. Check Trip Advisor - none of those restaurants are in the top half of their reviews, so I would have somewhat low expectations for lunch. We recommended the Beach House, as it's one of our all-time Top 10 favorite restaurants, with a beautiful location right on a great little bay, with excellent food and service. For us it's a Kauai "destination", while the others are just "lunch".

Haven't been to any except L&L once - and we'll never go back. It's a pretty standard chain available in many locations even in the US. Check Trip Advisor - none of those restaurants are in the top half of their reviews, so I would have somewhat low expectations for lunch. We recommended the Beach House, as it's one of our all-time Top 10 favorite restaurants, with a beautiful location right on a great little bay, with excellent food and service. For us it's a Kauai "destination", while the others are just "lunch".

Oh yeah, that's definitely NOT for me; I wouldn't go there even if it were in NY. I was going to say that perhaps restaurants are problematic because a meal there would be at least an hour (the other places seem more fast food types), but then again, she mentioned the steak house - and that's obviously not fast food.

Holy .......I just checked out the Beach House menu; I'm drooling....(naturally I checked desserts first, lol, but everything......). I want to go here.........now, lol. I love to eat, I love good food - and when I'm away from home, I love to eat local. I have to go here. I will mention it to Elena, the tour owner, and see what she says. Since lunch is not included, I don't see why it should be a problem - I would sacrifice some other things (if needed) to have a phenomenal meal by the ocean.

Would we need reservations for lunch?

Thanks!

...Would we need reservations for lunch? ..Thanks!

Probably not, unless it's a weekend where they might be having a brunch crowd. It can't hurt to make one - you can do it on Open Table.

Our first time there was in 1980, when it was a little beach shack on stilts over the water! It's had to rebuild a couple of times, each time getting better. I learned to snorkel right in front of it - lifted my head out of the water and saw a perfect rainbow right overhead! It's been a special place to us ever since.

Probably not, unless it's a weekend where they might be having a brunch crowd. It can't hurt to make one - you can do it on Open Table.

Our first time there was in 1980, when it was a little beach shack on stilts over the water! It's had to rebuild a couple of times, each time getting better. I learned to snorkel right in front of it - lifted my head out of the water and saw a perfect rainbow right overhead! It's been a special place to us ever since.

Ok, thanks!

We'll see how this fits into the proposed itinerary - it sounds like it would be a memorable experience, something I couldn't get in NY, and that's priceless......

Hi again....

So I've arranged a tour for my first day in Kauai (POA cruise), and I was wondering if you could offer any thoughts on the itinerary beyond Waimea Canyon (because I know that will be spectacular).

It's a private tour, so if anyone has any suggestions to replace anything on here, I'd love to hear them....

Thank you!

We will make our first stop at the Menehune Fishpond, where you'll learn about the mythical Menehune people and discover rare features of the pond, built on a freshwater river rather than the ocean shoreline.

Next, head to the Kauai Coffee Company, the largest coffee plantation in the country. At the visitor center, sample a variety of the finest local coffee. Leaving the plantation, drive through historical Hanapepe - Kauai's "Biggest Little Town".

On our journey to the Waimea Canyon we will stop at the 3 beautiful lookouts (one with the Waipo'o Waterfall).

Your next stop is Kalalau Lookout, which boasts views (weather permitting) of the magnificent cliffs of the NaPali Coast.

Stop at a local diner for a Hawaiian barbecue lunch, or great fish tacos, or tasty shrimp plates (own expense). After lunch, you're taken to Kauai's South Shore to see the famous Spouting Horn. We will stop at Poipu beach to check for endangered Hawaiian Monk seals and Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles. We can arrange for shopping stops if you'd like.

Our last stop will be the Wailua Falls - twin waterfalls from the opening scene of the "Fantasy Island".

Question: what tour company is this, or is thru the cruise line (POA?) Thanks..

Big Al