Placencia is a must!!

kevnick0814

We were on the NCL Getaway last week.

Living in South Florida, we felt that Harvest Caye was not much different then resorts we can go to close to home.

We decided to take the ferry to Placencia. It was the best part of our cruise!

The ferry ticket is $25 round trip pp. We could have bought our passes on board but the ship was only offering 8:45 & 9:45 trip times. Too early for us.

The excursion rep said we could buy other ferry times on Harvest Caye. He showed us where on the HC map.

We chose the 11a ferry.

The trip is about 20 minutes & the Getaway was never out of sight.

Once on Placencia we rented a 4-person golf cart for $35. We set off to explore.

The locals could not have been nicer. They appreciate the tourists.

We cruised all the way to the small airport, went around it a little further than backtracked to a small resort that caught our eye: The Turtle Inn.

We parked the cart and walked into this beautiful place.

It will be a destination vacation spot sometime in the future.

It was bought & developed by Francis Ford Coppola & his family.

We sat at the bar & had the best cocktail, made with the freshest fruit juices.

There are a total of only 25 residences in the resort.

We wanted lunch and headed to the local hangout we heard about, the Barefoot Bar. Total causal beach vibe.

Food was very good. The shot options were very creative too. )

Your ferry return is 3 hours from the original time. If you miss it, you have to wait for the next & hope there is room for you. we missed ours....sort of on purpose. ;)

The next stop was another VERY local hangout The Casual Corner. Great staff, and very creative drink options again.

We made the 3p trip back & swore we would be back for a longer stay. Fishing, snorkeling, diving, chilling. It is all on the beautiful peninsula.

I told my wife it is a 'one pair of slacks & 10 bathing suits' kind of vibe.

Placencia, see you again soon.

Thank you for this. I am really struggling with HC. We don't want a beach day, and are looking for other options. We may just get the golf cart and go exploring.

We are on the Getaway at the beginning of July, and are doing a snorkel trip that actually leaves from HC. We went back and forth between going over to Placencia and then out to snorkel, or doing the trip through the ship that was recently introduced. I will post our thoughts on it when we get back, but I wanted to make sure that we were actually able to snorkel here, as that is part of the reason we chose this particular cruise.

Thank you for this. I am really struggling with HC. We don't want a beach day, and are looking for other options. We may just get the golf cart and go exploring.

HC is very nice. As clean & colorful as can be but 'commercial'.

We wanted to see something that was real Belize, knowing we had limited time.

Everyone's tastes are different but the 3 of us that went to Placencia all said it was the highlight of the week.

The round trip ticket gives a 3 hour window to guarantee you are on the return boat to HC. If you miss your scheduled return trip, you can get on the next one, as long as there is room.

Being that it is off season, I would ask at the HC ticket window how many people are scheduled for each time & then decide then if it seems OK to hang longer. I would expect you could stay longer.

We missed our return but caught the last one off Placencia, & there was room for 10 more.

HC is very nice. As clean & colorful as can be but 'commercial'.

We wanted to see something that was real Belize, knowing we had limited time.

Everyone's tastes are different but the 3 of us that went to Placencia all said it was the highlight of the week.

The round trip ticket gives a 3 hour window to guarantee you are on the return boat to HC. If you miss your scheduled return trip, you can get on the next one, as long as there is room.

Being that it is off season, I would ask at the HC ticket window how many people are scheduled for each time & then decide then if it seems OK to hang longer. I would expect you could stay longer.

We missed our return but caught the last one off Placencia, & there was room for 10 more.

Thank you. I also want to see some of Belize, not just a private island. :) I've heard the island is beautifl and figure we can always enjoy it some after we get back from Placencia.

Do you recall seeing a schedule for the ferry? Some friends are taking the snorkel trip in the morning and were wondering if they could do head over after.

Thank you. I also want to see some of Belize, not just a private island. :) I've heard the island is beautifl and figure we can always enjoy it some after we get back from Placencia.

Do you recall seeing a schedule for the ferry? Some friends are taking the snorkel trip in the morning and were wondering if they could do head over after.

The first 2 ferry times, 8:45 & 9:45a, were sold on the ship. Later times were sold on Harvest Caye, at the excursion port desk. I believe they run on the hour? Last one back from Placencia to HC was 3p.

The first 2 ferry times, 8:45 & 9:45a, were sold on the ship. Later times were sold on Harvest Caye, at the excursion port desk. I believe they run on the hour? Last one back from Placencia to HC was 3p.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...