Ovation of the Seas - 12 Night NZ, New Years Cruise - Dec 2017 - Documentation

Hello all,

I have started writing a review of the title of this thread - a review of the recent New Years cruise on Ovation of the Seas, visiting a few ports in New Zealand. It is going to take me awhile as I have many other things I need to take care of first, so in the mean time, I will upload some of the documentation of the cruise.

As the New Year's cruise is a bit of a once'a - ie, there aren't many times this exact cruise is going to happen there isn't much need for this documentation, but I thought some people might be interested in any differences between an Australian based cruise and one from another location

The first part is just some random documentation that was in the room, the second part will be the Cruise Compass and daily planner. I don't plan on making much comment about what went on each day, as I will save that for the actual review.

I am slow writing reviews - it will be a couple of weeks more before it will get posted.

Here is an overview of the requirements for all the different activities on the cruise.

I need to quickly say that the pictures are sometimes a bit crooked. It was due to the scanner not handling the paper properly. The pages were in US Letter size, and my scanner is setup to handle A4, so they didn't always feed straight.Activity%20Requirements-L.jpg

This was our second cruise on Royal, so we are all Gold C&A members. One thing about cruises from Australia, they are generally a lot longer than 7 nights, so with double cruise points, you go through the levels quickly. After two cruises, we will be Platinum on our next cruise and Emerald after our third.

The pictures below show the C&A welcome letter with discounts, as well as youth C&A discounts, which was a double sided letter.

C_A%20-%201-L.jpg

C_A%20-%202-L.jpg

C_A%20-%203-L.jpg

I am sure that everyone has seen this before. The next cruise flyer. I have just included it, mainly for the table on the back, as for those that don't travel RCI a lot, it is sometimes hard to figure out reading other peoples reviews what features are on what ships.

Next%20Cruise%20-%20Cover-L.jpg

Next%20Cruise%20-%20Onboard-L.jpg

I can send these as a PDF file is someone wants them as a reference and the photo doesn't print out well.

I separated this photo, as even though it is related to Star Class, I am likely to refer to it a lot in my review. A week or so before the cruise starts, you start getting communication from your actual Genie. We wrote back saying what we wanted to do on the ship, including restaurants we wanted to go to and on arrival to our room, our Genie gave us this. Our itinerary for the week (includes pre-booked ship shore excursions etc.) This is the 3rd or 4th iteration, as when big items changed our Genie printed out a new itinerary. (You can see some of the mark ups that we did on this copy).

No show or restaurant was booked before we got on board. But we did book a couple of the spa appointments and excursions. We also cancelled and changed some of the Restaurants half way through the cruise.

So when every your read in someone's review about what the Genie has booked for you, this is what they mean and it can be changed completely on board to what you want.

Star%20Letter%20-%20Itinerary-L.jpg

Thank you. I will be reading with interest. We are booked in Star Class on Ovation January 3rd 2019. We have a couple of cruises beforehand but this will be the first time Star Class and I'm really looking forward to it :)

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time for posting all this material!

Thank you for your kind words.

The scanning is more difficult that I first envisaged, I think because of the unusual paper size, it is scanning the whole platter, so I have to go and crop every single photo.

Thank you. I will be reading with interest. We are booked in Star Class on Ovation January 3rd 2019. We have a couple of cruises beforehand but this will be the first time Star Class and I'm really looking forward to it :)

While Star Class helps with the set and forget aspect of the trip - the ship is so awesome, it doesn't matter what room you have, the holiday will be fantastic.

Thank you for your kind words

Great info - we are booked on the Ovation for the 14 day cruise around NZ in Nov/Dec this year, sadly just in a normal cabin. ☺

Thank you for your comment.

As I said above, there is so much to do on the ship that while the extra features of Star Class help, you will have a great time, just because Ovation is so big.

i look forward to your review

Please don't hold your breath - it is going to take me awhile - I once did an airline flight review that took me two years to complete, hopefully I will complete this review before the next cruise.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by GottaRequalify

As an added bonus - here is a sail away video to show the trip through Sydney Harbour. The whole journey takes about 90 minutes, so I have sped up the trip to bring the whole thing down to just over 12 minutes.

Please be nice - its the first video I have posted on YouTube, in public anywhere.

The camera doesn't do the trip justice, as your eyes can take in so much more than what's in the frame. It was also taken from a low deck, a higher cabin may have given a better view.

I have also removed all the sound, as I am sure the last thing you want to hear is the champagne being opened and the cabin door opening and closing all the time. Play your own sail away music to help you go to your happy place.

dn_EqdNSfGs