Tipping private tour guides.

Sox Fan Cruiser

We have private tour guides throughout our stay in Tokyo. I have heard that tipping is insulting in Tokyo. Would that be the same for a hired private guide. It kills me not to tip but I don’t want to insult them. We will be eating a meal with them and would offer to pay for that.

Thoughts?

Tipping is not part of the Japanese culture.

However a small token, ie something cute from your home town, is often appreciated. For example I took tiny souvenir koalas that clipped onto pens. Small souvenir key rings are also popular. Make sure it is something that reflects where you come from.

Also don't be surprised if your tour guide gives you a gift. On one of the multi-day tours we did our guide gave each couple a small version of a traditional Japanese wedding card - we had seen a big display of these at one of the places we visited on the tour.

• 2 weeks later...

We brought upscale boxed American chocolates for our guides. I was told by a Japanese citizen that edible gifts are appreciated since they can be shared. Plus, living spaces are so small and people don't have space for extra "stuff".

When offering your gift, be sure to use both hands in giving to the person. This is considered the polite way to give a gift.

We also paid for our guides lunches. I was surprised though. One guide hinted at giving him a monetary gift. So, I don't know if things are changing.

Things do appear to be changing. Even the tour companies such as viatour and Expedia, now list gratuities, but as optional, in their exclusions for Japan. For China, they say recommended. It is correct that they should be presented with both hands. I plan to make personalized envelopes with ‘Thank you’ in their language and Canadian maple leaf, along with small gifts from home.

• 2 weeks later...

We took lots of postcards with local scenes and gave them out to our guides in Japan. We also gave them to children who spoke to us. They were much appreciated.

Easy to pack and worth the few pence they cost.

Please take a notebook with blank pages on your tours. Every temple, pagoda etc will have a stamp and ink pad by the entrance. Some of them are beautifully intricate and make a lovely souvenir of your trip. You will also get pretty admission tickets which you can glue in beside the ink stamp.

Have been to Japan twice and loved it. Very jealous of everyone going there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took lots of postcards with local scenes and gave them out to our guides in Japan. We also gave them to children who spoke to us. They were much appreciated.

Easy to pack and worth the few pence they cost.

Please take a notebook with blank pages on your tours. Every temple, pagoda etc will have a stamp and ink pad by the entrance. Some of them are beautifully intricate and make a lovely souvenir of your trip. You will also get pretty admission tickets which you can glue in beside the ink stamp.

Have been to Japan twice and loved it. Very jealous of everyone going there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the notebook tip. I have added it with my documents. :)

Things do appear to be changing. Even the tour companies such as viatour and Expedia, now list gratuities, but as optional, in their exclusions for Japan. For China, they say recommended. It is correct that they should be presented with both hands. I plan to make personalized envelopes with ‘Thank you’ in their language and Canadian maple leaf, along with small gifts from home.

In April we toured Beijing for three days with a driver and tour guide. I didn't present anything formally. I gave them both monetary tips using a handshake and a thank you. They were both gracious and excited to receive the tip.

We are big tippers and do not hesitate to go overboard when it merits, but, would you tip a private tour guide that owns his/her company and are charging a pretty high price for the tour?
You can try. My wife and I spent close to $600 USD on two private custom tours in Hong Kong. The tours exceeded expectations and I tried to give a big tip but our guide wouldn't take any more than $20. It was her tour company. Just her and her first so the tours.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk