360 cameras and tripods

vampiress

i just got a richoh theta 360 camera to bring on my next cruise. i haven't even taken a picture yet! this isn't going to replace my usual canon g7, but thought ti would be fun to have movable explorable pictures.

has anyone had any issues with selfie sticks or small tripods? thinking of getting one for my theta, but don't want it confiscated on the cruise. also any recommendations on selfie sticks with the tripod screw? because of the 360 camera i need one with the least amount of hardware at the top so it doesn't show in picture.

They generally won't have an issue with you bringing it on board, usage depends on how disruptive you are. On the Escape last year some guy kept sticking a long selfie-stick above the crowd with a decent sized camera on top and security told him to stop.

Side note - selfie sticks do a HORRIBLE job of keeping 360 cameras level. For my giroptix I use a small monopod instead and hold it up against my chest and side of face to stabilize when shooting. Looks silly but works.

good point about selfie sticks being hard to control. i was looking at some that screw onto a tripod at the bottom, figuring i'll use it as a tripod most of the time.

thankfully, the theta is a small camera as well.

Edited by vampiress

Go with a light monopod instead. Sometimes allowed where selfie sticks are not, you can still get a remote of needed.

good point about selfie sticks being hard to control. i was looking at some that screw onto a tripod at the bottom, figuring i'll use it as a tripod most of the time.

thankfully, the theta is a small camera as well.

I would think that anywhere you'd want to put a tripod to get a 360 picture that's worthwhile is a place that's reasonable to put a tripod. You're not going to plop the tripod in the middle of a crowd (what's the point?), and I assume you're not getting an 8' tripod.

You may want to explore ways to adapt a light stand as your tripod. Those depend a lot more on the center column for height (usually 3-4 sections), and the relative leg spread can be a lot less. They can easily be too big and unwieldy for travel, depending on your idea of portable, but they can also go to 12' or higher for some models. Something like a "C-stand" is heavy (13 pounds) but therefore strong and stable, and has an exceptionally small base (all things considered). Some have a "turtle" base which can be detached; you still have a long pole to deal with, but at least the legs are off the bottom.

i just got a richoh theta 360 camera to bring on my next cruise. i haven't even taken a picture yet! this isn't going to replace my usual canon g7, but thought ti would be fun to have movable explorable pictures.

has anyone had any issues with selfie sticks or small tripods? thinking of getting one for my theta, but don't want it confiscated on the cruise. also any recommendations on selfie sticks with the tripod screw? because of the 360 camera i need one with the least amount of hardware at the top so it doesn't show in picture.

deleted

DON