Egypt Private Excursions

Arlenedow

Yes, I used them for a day tour in Alexandria in September. I enjoyed the day immensely and arranged to have them give me a "light" day tour in Cairo at the start of my most recent cruise. They were excellent in providing suggestions of what might interest me (having spent a fair amount of time in Cairo already), and I ended up doing a walking tour of the wonderfully restored Islamic street near the Khan el Khalili bazaar called Al Muizz el-Din. It is a fascinating mix of ancient mosques, mausoleums, sabils (water houses), and even a few traditional houses. We also visited the Gayer-Anderson museum. It was a very interesting day.

Yes, I used them for a day tour in Alexandria in September. I enjoyed the day immensely and arranged to have them give me a "light" day tour in Cairo at the start of my most recent cruise. They were excellent in providing suggestions of what might interest me (having spent a fair amount of time in Cairo already), and I ended up doing a walking tour of the wonderfully restored Islamic street near the Khan el Khalili bazaar called Al Muizz el-Din. It is a fascinating mix of ancient mosques, mausoleums, sabils (water houses), and even a few traditional houses. We also visited the Gayer-Anderson museum. It was a very interesting day.

Hi Cruisemom, who was your guide? would you recommend them.......it's always good to ask for a person by name if you know they will give you a good tour! I think it's the guide who is turns a good tour into a great day!

Did you do the pyramids on this tour? or had you done them before? I did them last time so am looking for new ideas.....I assume EPE just tailor-made a tour to suit you?

Thanks is advance for your help.

Hi Cruisemom, who was your guide? would you recommend them.......it's always good to ask for a person by name if you know they will give you a good tour! I think it's the guide who is turns a good tour into a great day!

Did you do the pyramids on this tour? or had you done them before? I did them last time so am looking for new ideas.....I assume EPE just tailor-made a tour to suit you?

Thanks is advance for your help.

I would highly recommend Dalia, the guide I had on my first visit (see my Alexandria port review below) -- she also can do Cairo. Unfortunately, she was not available the day I was in Cairo. The guide I had was fine, but I would not recommend her as much as Dalia.

As to Cairo, I have spent quite a few days there on various visits and have done most of the "big" tourist must-sees like the pyramids and sphinx (2x), Museum (3x), bazaar, Citadel, Coptic Cairo, Memphis, Saqqara (2x), etc! So I was looking for something that was a little off the beaten track. As I said, H. David was great in sending me suggestions to consider for the day.

Hi guys...as a reminder, members cannot recommend tours they haven't taken. So while you may have contacted a company or booked a future tour with a company, you can't recommend them until you've actually taken the tour. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I would highly recommend Dalia, the guide I had on my first visit (see my Alexandria port review below) -- she also can do Cairo. Unfortunately, she was not available the day I was in Cairo. The guide I had was fine, but I would not recommend her as much as Dalia.

As to Cairo, I have spent quite a few days there on various visits and have done most of the "big" tourist must-sees like the pyramids and sphinx (2x), Museum (3x), bazaar, Citadel, Coptic Cairo, Memphis, Saqqara (2x), etc! So I was looking for something that was a little off the beaten track. As I said, H. David was great in sending me suggestions to consider for the day.

Can I call on your experience?

We are planning on Egypt private tours Alexandria overnight option 3, since we are starting our cruise in Istanbul we are skipping the Mosques and Citadel, i think we'll get enough mosques there. Not really interested in the sound and light show or Nile dinner cruise, we would rather visit the Bazaar at night and do some local dining and looking around. Can you recommend a hotel used by the tour companies in town and is doing the bazaar at night OK? we are very well traveled, both by cruise and land and know how to handle ourselves very well.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Can I call on your experience?

We are planning on Egypt private tours Alexandria overnight option 3, since we are starting our cruise in Istanbul we are skipping the Mosques and Citadel, i think we'll get enough mosques there. Not really interested in the sound and light show or Nile dinner cruise, we would rather visit the Bazaar at night and do some local dining and looking around. Can you recommend a hotel used by the tour companies in town and is doing the bazaar at night OK? we are very well traveled, both by cruise and land and know how to handle ourselves very well.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

I think you've made a great choice of tours. I might suggest that you talk to H. David about what you will see in Saqqara; there is a lot there and it's well worth seeing -- especially the tomb paintings in several of the tombs, which are very beautiful but sometimes get left off the program.

You can certainly visit the Bazaar at night, it will be fine and of course lively. Unfortunately, you won't have the same photo ops as during the day -- but perhaps you'll get some great night-time pictures.

If you're visiting the bazaar more for atmosphere than for shopping, you might consider this street instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muizz_Street I recently visited it with a guide from Egypt Private Excursions and really enjoyed it. It is pedestrian-only for the most part; located very near Khan el-Khalili, and it is supposed to be beautiful in the evening.

As for hotels, I just recently stayed in the new Fairmont Nile City hotel and would highly recommend it. I'm pretty sure that I had a conversation with H. David about this hotel and that it is one they work with. Ask for a Nile-view room: even if you get back to the hotel late at night, you will still enjoy the view and it's also great in the early morning light.

I think you've made a great choice of tours. I might suggest that you talk to H. David about what you will see in Saqqara; there is a lot there and it's well worth seeing -- especially the tomb paintings in several of the tombs, which are very beautiful but sometimes get left off the program.

You can certainly visit the Bazaar at night, it will be fine and of course lively. Unfortunately, you won't have the same photo ops as during the day -- but perhaps you'll get some great night-time pictures.

If you're visiting the bazaar more for atmosphere than for shopping, you might consider this street instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muizz_Street I recently visited it with a guide from Egypt Private Excursions and really enjoyed it. It is pedestrian-only for the most part; located very near Khan el-Khalili, and it is supposed to be beautiful in the evening.

As for hotels, I just recently stayed in the new Fairmont Nile City hotel and would highly recommend it. I'm pretty sure that I had a conversation with H. David about this hotel and that it is one they work with. Ask for a Nile-view room: even if you get back to the hotel late at night, you will still enjoy the view and it's also great in the early morning light.

Me again, I am working with H david and he is very accomodating, My room choices are: Nile view and partial Nile/City view. Your thoughts?

Muizz street sounds great, just what we are looking for!

Edited by Deckhandoug

Me again, I am working with H david and he is very accomodating, My room choices are: Nile view and partial Nile/City view. Your thoughts?

Muizz street sounds great, just what we are looking for!

I have to admit that I'm not certain whether the room I had was a Nile view or partial Nile/City view. I just know that I had a lovely view of the Nile with the bridge crossing it just to the right. My room was more or less situated several floors above the hotel's main entrance. I have a feeling it was a Nile View.

H. David is great to work with. I think you'll be very happy with your choice and your tour.

Edited by cruisemom42

can i know how much you pay with Egypt private excursions as i tried another company during my last cruise and i want to have a glimpse about other choices

thanks

can i know how much you pay with Egypt private excursions as i tried another company during my last cruise and i want to have a glimpse about other choices

thanks

Both of the tours I had with them were very customized to my own interests and are not what most travelers would do on a first visit (particularly in Cairo). However, I think their prices are very reasonable and compare well with other agencies. It's easy enough to contact them and they will be happy to provide you with a quote for whatever you have in mind. :)

Both of the tours I had with them were very customized to my own interests and are not what most travelers would do on a first visit (particularly in Cairo). However, I think their prices are very reasonable and compare well with other agencies. It's easy enough to contact them and they will be happy to provide you with a quote for whatever you have in mind. :)

thanks for your quick response

regards

terry

Hello

i have a potential cruise that will have a stop at the port of Alexandria

and i'm considering using Egypt private excursions .

Can you provide me more details about their services as i can not see many reviews on them on these boards ?

Hello

i have a potential cruise that will have a stop at the port of Alexandria

and i'm considering using Egypt private excursions .

Can you provide me more details about their services as i can not see many reviews on them on these boards ?

The company is relatively new, which is why there are not yet a large number of reviews.

Here are the details of the tour they provided me in Alexandria last fall:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297722&highlight=alexandria

As I have said, I was very satisfied with their services. The guide I had was superb, lunch was delicious (and with a beautiful view of Alexandria), and we had a driver and nice air-conditioned car for the day-long tour.

Edited by cruisemom42

The company is relatively new, which is why there are not yet a large number of reviews.

Here are the details of the tour they provided me in Alexandria last fall:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297722&highlight=alexandria

As I have said, I was very satisfied with their services. The guide I had was superb, lunch was delicious (and with a beautiful view of Alexandria), and we had a driver and nice air-conditioned car for the day-long tour.

Thanks so much for your help, i am checking their price and comparing it with another company .They have been very responsive.

Review - Tour of Alexandria with Egypt private Excursions

We used this company for a tour of Alexandria during a recent mediterranean cruise; we were in Alexandria a few days after the explosion.

We had booked the tour online a few weeks prior. The booking process was flexible, quick and painless. We didn't like either of their "off-the-shelf" tours so we asked to change it around. They made some recommendations and we moved forward.

We paid around $180usd + 30Euros for lunch (which we thought was overpriced).

We were greeted by our driver right at the ship; very easy. Then we met the guide and got going.

Our Ratings/grades :

A: The guide (forgot his name) was very knowledgeable and friendly. Really knew his stuff and was very informative.

B: The tour we ended up taking was great. We gave it a "B" because we missed the guided tour of the library. Before the library, we were at a Mosque. They rushed us at the Mosque (we did not even go inside) so that we could make the guided tour but we still made it about 1/2 hour late. Basically, that negatively impacted our tour of those 2 of the stops.

C: The restaurant; they took us to an "italian" restaurant (we had just spent a week in Rome). The appetizers were great (A) but the main courses were bland ©

F: Market/shopping

We had asked to go to a market. Instead, we were taken to a tourist trap-type place with overpriced souvenirs. The type of place where you get handed a card as you walk in so the tour that brought you can get their cut. We did not buy anything there (or in the attached papyrus shop) which seemed to annoy our guide. The only reason I say that is that we found him to be a little "gruff" after and there was a lot of agitated discussion with the driver (in arabic) which there had not been before. I considered taping the exchange to verify my theory but then decided against it.

After that, we asked for an actual market; I highlighted that we wanted to buy some cotton products (linen and what not). Egypt produces the best cotton in the world so ... We were told that there were no such shops in Alexandria and that we'd need to go to Cairo to buy good quality cotton. Needless to say that we didn't believe it but there wasn't much we could do.

We met the driver around 9:30 and were back at the ship around 4pm. We thought that for $200, it was a bit short.

Final impressions :

Despite the problem with the shopping portion of our trip and the Mosque/library hiccup, we had a nice day and we would use this company again.

Where did you eat lunch at? We are looking into this tour company over Ramses tours. Also, how did you pay? I read on the website that they would like payment before the tour, is that correct? Did you have any troubles with keeping on schedule and getting to the ship in time?

Thank you for your help!

Where did you eat lunch at? We are looking into this tour company over Ramses tours. Also, how did you pay? I read on the website that they would like payment before the tour, is that correct? Did you have any troubles with keeping on schedule and getting to the ship in time?

Thank you for your help!

We ate at Fish Market, an absolutely lovely restaurant overlooking the harbor. The food was delicious (fresh fish, grilled and served with rice and french fries (?), we also had a good selection of Egyptian mezzes to start with -- and delicious fresh pita bread made on site.

See the section on "Lunching" in the link from CC: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=179

I paid at the end of the tour. We had no problems because we spent the entire day in Alexandria. I was back to the ship between 5-6pm, and the tours from Cairo came back much later. We didn't sail until 11pm.

We had no problems because we spent the entire day in Alexandria. I was back to the ship between 5-6pm, and the tours from Cairo came back much later. We didn't sail until 11pm.

Did you hear of any of the trips coming from Cairo having problems getting back to the ship with time to spare?

I will remember the Fish Market! Thank you!

Can anyone advise whether there is an issue as far as safety is concerned on private tours. I see there is mention made on some sites about travelling in convoy under armed guard. We will be there in April and tossing up whether to book a private tour or go on the ships tour.