Bed wetters

jlajla

I am cruising with a kid who will VERY OCCASIONALLY have a bed-wetting incident. I mean RARELY, but it could happen. We wake him before going to bed ourselves and take him to the bathroom, but sometimes that is not enough.

Anyhoo, i certainly don't want to have an accident in a cruiseship bed. Anyone have experience in planning for this? Should I tell the steward and see if they have some kind of mattress cover? Should I bring something myself?

I can honestly say that in my 9 or so years on these boards, I have never seen this discussed, so I thought I'd see if anyone has experience with this on an RCI ship. Thanks!

Hmmmmm that an interesting question. I would probably recommend bringing something. I would think that you could buy some sort of waterproof pad for the bed. They have them in hospitals and nursing homes.

Try the family board but what we did was to buy disposable large incontinence pads/sheets designed for adult healthcare and also asked the steward for a spare set of bedding incase of a middle of the night issue. They didn't take much room in the case and were quite cheap.

My son had a similar issue, usually made worse by late nights and drinking lots. 2 things you cant avoid on the ship. We tried 2 things with success. 2 large disposable sheets that go over the settee and under the sheet. Or pyjama pants that are sold in the uk up to age i think 12? Every night he wore them under his pj's just for the cruise he got a treat. (and it was our secret) he has grown out of it now but i could sleep myself panicing not the best thing on a busy holiday.

My g'friend had this problem (with her daughter)....if you let your cabin steward know they have pads they can put down (at least on Celebrity and NCL they did), but she travels with the pads as well, apparently you can purchase them in drug stores (I think that's where she gets them).

Just in the last week or two, I've seen TV ads for water proof bed pads. The are not full bed size, but only cover the area from say the knees to the chest. They are sticky on one side to keep them in place throughout the night. I'd guess you can buy them at major drug store chains. I'll pay more attention next time I see the ad and get a brand name.

Should I tell the steward and see if they have some kind of mattress cover?

They DO have mattress covers for this reason. Explain the situation to your stateroom attendant and he will put one on for you :)

Just in the last week or two, I've seen TV ads for water proof bed pads. The are not full bed size, but only cover the area from say the knees to the chest. They are sticky on one side to keep them in place throughout the night. I'd guess you can buy them at major drug store chains. I'll pay more attention next time I see the ad and get a brand name.

Saw the ad also. It is for a "bed mat" made by Goodnights ...... I think you could look on the Goodnights official web site and they have a complete description. It is a new product - I think it would be ideal for the situation you are describing.

Saw the ad also. It is for a "bed mat" made by Goodnights ...... I think you could look on the Goodnights official web site and they have a complete description. It is a new product - I think it would be ideal for the situation you are describing.

That's what I was going to suggest was well.

These are like the ones my g'friend travels with, they are a pretty good size...her kids came and stayed with me last summer and she sent a pack with her...luckily she didn't need them

My son is still in diapers and anytime we travel we bring a "crib bib". It's basically a large waterproof mat that we simply lie down over the sheet. They sell them at Wal*Mart for about $8 in the baby section.

It has a zillion uses besides bedwetting. From covering couches from spills and keeping dog hair off car seats. It also packs and washes easily.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=777375&highlight=bedwetting

Agree, bring a package of Goodnights with you.

We had a child with this problem and I thought it was never going to stop. We purchased an alarm from the bedwetting store and problem solved in a week. It was amazing; highly recommend.

http://bedwettingstore.com/malem-bedwetting-alarm.html

Huggies (Kimberly-Clark) under the "GoodNites® Bed Mats"

-- I work in Market Research for Nielsen Corp -- this stuff is my life :p scary isn't it?

Has anyone tried using those goodnite pads? DD#2 is almost 3 and night trained for almost 6 months now - but about 2 times in the past 6 months she didn't wake up in time. We limit drinks at night but I know with changes in bed times and I'm sure she will be drinking more on the cruise that anything could happen. I would love to bring them - but what are they like to sleep on? Do they make noise like plastic or do they stick to you when you sleep? She was potty trained during the day last summer when we cruised but she still wore pull ups at night so I don't know how she will do this time around.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=777375&highlight=bedwetting

Agree, bring a package of Goodnights with you.

We had a child with this problem and I thought it was never going to stop. We purchased an alarm from the bedwetting store and problem solved in a week. It was amazing; highly recommend.

http://bedwettingstore.com/malem-bedwetting-alarm.html

This did not work for us. Was a waste of money. But heard it works for some. I suggest puppy pad they are absorbant and you throw away each time soiled.

Has anyone tried using those goodnite pads? DD#2 is almost 3 and night trained for almost 6 months now - but about 2 times in the past 6 months she didn't wake up in time. We limit drinks at night but I know with changes in bed times and I'm sure she will be drinking more on the cruise that anything could happen. I would love to bring them - but what are they like to sleep on? Do they make noise like plastic or do they stick to you when you sleep? She was potty trained during the day last summer when we cruised but she still wore pull ups at night so I don't know how she will do this time around.

I've a relative who works in product development for Huggies product line at KC - I emailed him and he indicated that it was pretty much a nicely sized flat version of a Goodnight training pants -- no plasticy rustle and ample sticky stuff to keep in in place. He did not work on the product but has done a lot with the Goodnight line and they do pride themselves on the no plastic rustle :)

I've a relative who works in product development for Huggies product line at KC - I emailed him and he indicated that it was pretty much a nicely sized flat version of a Goodnight training pants -- no plasticy rustle and ample sticky stuff to keep in in place. He did not work on the product but has done a lot with the Goodnight line and they do pride themselves on the no plastic rustle :)

Thank you! You know she will probably be fine as she stays dry all night now and does wake up when she needs to go- but seeing as she is only about to turn 3, not sure if being on the ship will change her habits and she will probably be drinking at lot more before bed so I just don't want any surprises. She has been potty trained since August and did fine with no accidents on our last cruise but she wasn't night trained then.

• 5 weeks later...

My son was 1 when we first cruised and he did not use diapers. He had one accident each cruise. On royal carribean they have pads. We ussually dont see who aill clean our room in the corst day, so I just live a note asking to remove glass table, provide 1 extra pillow and cover mattress with pad.

My son uses these and will be bringing them on our cruise.

Archived