Liquor Stores in Sydney

spindrift

We saw some in the shopping plaza at Darling Harbour and I would say the prices are not reasonable compared to what you pay in the States or even in Canada for the matter. Fortunately we had some left over from our cruise and that carried me through.

We will be at the Marriott Sydney Harbour for 4 days prior to our cruise. Is there a liquor store nearby, or if not, where would we find one? Are the prices reasonable?

There's apparently a bottleshop on Alfred St, which is nearby. Couldn't say about the prices but they would have to be better than the Darling Harbour plaza.:) There are a few others around but that one looks to be the closest. I'm sure the hotel will have a YellowPages that you can look up with a map.

Kate:)

Thank you so much for the info. This really helps. Since we can't do "carry-on" liquids, I hate packing a bottle in our luggage for that long of a trip. Not worth the cleaning bill. I will stow this information savely in my file for the trip. Makes me feel a bit more secure! :-)) No, we're not alcoholics, but we sure enjoy a drink in our room before going out for dinner.

We will be at the Marriott Sydney Harbour for 4 days prior to our cruise. Is there a liquor store nearby, or if not, where would we find one? Are the prices reasonable?

There is a LiquorLand store at the corner of Pitt and Goulburn Streets in the City. It's a bit of a walk up Pitt St but not really that bad. You can check it out on Google Maps Australia.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=pitt+and+goulburn+streets,+sydney&sll=-33.866496,151.208342&sspn=0.006886,0.017853&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=17&om=1&iwloc=addr

You could always get a train to Museum Station. LiquorLand is a big retailer and the prices are not too bad. Depends what specials they have at the time.

I get all my stuff at Dan Murphy's which are located in the suburbs. I find them to be the cheapest. From the city it would be possible to get a train to a station within easy walking distance of a Dan Murphy's store. If you want more info on that just let me know.

Maurice

Wouldn't it be just as cheap to buy it downtown somewhere than to be taking trians to go buy a bottle of liquor. I would sugget that Darling Harbour would just as reasonable. I didn't look that hard to find any, but that seems like a long way to go.

There is a LiquorLand store at the corner of Pitt and Goulburn Streets in the City. It's a bit of a walk up Pitt St but not really that bad. You can check it out on Google Maps Australia.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=pitt+and+goulburn+streets,+sydney&sll=-33.866496,151.208342&sspn=0.006886,0.017853&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=17&om=1&iwloc=addr

You could always get a train to Museum Station. LiquorLand is a big retailer and the prices are not too bad. Depends what specials they have at the time.

I get all my stuff at Dan Murphy's which are located in the suburbs. I find them to be the cheapest. From the city it would be possible to get a train to a station within easy walking distance of a Dan Murphy's store. If you want more info on that just let me know.

Maurice

Mmmm, got to love Dan Murphy's! If only they delivered......:)

Kate

• 1 month later...

I agree with Maurice - go to Museum station. It is a great part of the city and I would be seeing that part of town anyhow, so kill two birds!

However, if you find that in your plans you are not visiting that part of Syd, are you going to worry about inflated prices on your holiday?? I wouldn't! I would just be like - who cares? I am having fun!:) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
and where would be the nearest AA meeting?

I take it from your posts that you are a recovering alcoholic and think that everyone who likes to have a glass or two or wine, or even a couple of cocktails, is an incipient alcoholic. Sorry, not true. Alcoholism is truly a disease and not something to be taken lightly - I know this only too well since I was married to an alcoholic. I loved the man more than he will ever know, but he loved the bottle more than he did me. Trust me, being married to an alcoholic, especially someone you love with all your heart, is hell on earth - for both of you.

That said, there are more fortunate people, not having an allergy to alcohol, who can enjoy a glass or two of wine, or a couple of cocktails without being addicted so allow them their fun, especially on a cruiseship. Drunken driving is something which I find unconscionable but these people who have posted are, hopefully, not "driving" the ship.

Chill - be happy that you are in recovery - and cut some slack for those lucky people who can have a couple of drinks and not become addicted - we always have some other outlet- my addiction happens to be chocolate, not likely to kill anyone other than myself from overindulgence:D .

Valerie:)

I agree with Maurice - go to Museum station. It is a great part of the city and I would be seeing that part of town anyhow, so kill two birds!

However, if you find that in your plans you are not visiting that part of Syd, are you going to worry about inflated prices on your holiday?? I wouldn't! I would just be like - who cares? I am having fun!:) :) :)

Hi Aussie Cruisers,

First of all, as far a inflated prices go: on my recent Holland America cruise I was chatting with a lovely woman who really loved an Australian wine called "4 Emus" which, she was told by one of the wine stewards could be obtained onboard for $44.00 ($US) a bottle. Whew, that's a lot of money for bottle of wine (I'm not talking oenophiles here, just people who like to drink some fairly decent tasting wine). Soooo, since I was spending two days in Sydney on a scheduled port visit with my brother and sister-in-law, who live in Australia, we decided to go on a hunt for the "4 Emus" wine. Big surprise, none of the liquor stores we visited carried the "4 Emus" wine but several did mention that they knew of it but it seemed to be for export (as in cruiselines) only? So, I wondered, how much would it cost if indeed they sold it - gee, what a surprise: they all estimated in about the $10.00 to $12.00 ($AU) range.

Heck, I don't mind spending a little extra when I'm on a cruise because I'm chilling out and having fun but in the case of that particular wine, and I'm sure that there are many others that fall into this category, that's more money than I want to throw away - that's more than just inflated prices, that's usury.

Valerie:)

I've been reading this thread with interest, since we hope to bring some nice wine onboard with us. Are the prices and selection at the Sydney airport incoming "duty free" decent, or is it better to wait and try some of the great liquor stores listed in this thread?

Thanks for your assistance.

I've been reading this thread with interest, since we hope to bring some nice wine onboard with us. Are the prices and selection at the Sydney airport incoming "duty free" decent, or is it better to wait and try some of the great liquor stores listed in this thread?

Thanks for your assistance.

I don't think that there is much (if any) duty on Australian wines. And there is limited competition at airport duty free shops. I travel a lot and usually buy spirits duty free inbound into Australia, but I always buy local wine from one of our local bottle shops (such as Liquorland, Dan Murphy's, Choice etc). One thing to be aware of; although we have had a glut of grapes and wine over the past few years (and thus low prices) the current drought is likely to push prices up.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a pub called the Ship Inn on the corner of Pitt and Loftus, which is only a block from the Marriot. You can buy bottles of wine there or a else at the liquor shop at Circular Quay opposite Wharf 2. You'll probably pay about $20 a bottle.

As others have said you can get cheaper wine at large outlets but if you want convenience, these are very close. The Marriott is located on the corner of Pitt and Bulletin Place on the Google map

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Pitt+and+Bulletin&sll=-33.877337,151.209801&sspn=0.003786,0.007231&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.860723,151.209126&spn=0.007573,0.014462&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

Also be on the look out for a Coles supermarket (one in/near Wynard rail station and another on the corner of George - and can't remember the name of the cross street but just past Martin Place/Westin heading toward the main heart of the city) they both have Liquorland shops within so you can stock up on incidentals as well as alcohol!

Here's what we want to do:

We will be walking around Sydney for the day, seeing the sights. On the way back to the ship we would like to find a liquor store to buy a few bottles of wine.

The requirements: reasonable prices, close to the dock, stocking Australian wines.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are quite a few pubs in George St near the pier which will sell wine. There is also a liquor shop at Circular Quay at the ferry wharf (opposite Wharf 2). There is also the Australian Wine Centre at Circular Quay which is probably a little more upmarket, I have no idea of their prices but I think they might be more helpful for tourists. Here is the website:

http://www.australianwinecentre.com/

These are all within 500 metres (~1/3 mile) of the ship.

The closest would probably be the pubs in George St because they are just across the street from the ship. Depends how much wine you buy - how far to carry

I've seen postings on these boards from some that say to buy your case/cases of beer & wine and place them in the hotel lobby with your cabin room tag on them and they will be taken with your luggage to your cabin. Any truth to this or how would the easiest way be?

Sailing on the 31 day Sydney to L.A. next year and between soda, beer, wine and baggage it will be a chore.

Another question is the kind of Australian beer you would suggest in Sydney. DH likes a good Canadian Ale (5%). We have tried locally here in Canada to see if there are any imports, but the only Australian beer in our liquor stores are Coopers Sparkling (?) and CastlemainXXXX (?). He tried Fosters once on a cruise and did not like it.

Snowbird

As far as Sydney beers go you might be better off just trying the most popular ones from across Australia. There are a huge range to try. Victoria Bitter or "VB" is very popular. Tooheys "New" is also very good. Coopers is also very good, and I don't mind the odd "Cascade Premium" either. Could always try them all.

If your looking for a beer that is not only good tasting but a great laugh, get yourself a "Piss Beer' or a "Piss weak beer". Like I said, not only does it taste good, you can keep the empty bottle as a souvenir.

And before anyone thinks I making some kind of joke, google "Piss Beer" and you will have your answer.

Terry

If you want to know more about our beers, check this site out

http://www.australianbeers.com/

Archived