Back from New Zealand!!!

Budget Queen

I did get some help on this board and thought I would post on my recent touring experiences to perhaps give other's ideas.

I am not one to consider ship tours, just to crowded and lacking for me, so my slant is for those who can consider some self touring. I also paid significantly less doing so and had a great time.

In Hobart, (Not New Zealand, I know :) )- I rented a car and drove to Port Arthur- just fantastic and EASY. I rented from Hertz downtown, walked to the office, about a mile, would be easy to get a cab also. Rental was $40 plus $20 for gas, $25 Port Arthur admission. Skipped the guided tour, since they don't get into the buildings. They gave a wonderful detailed guidebook.

Dunedin- although, the ship sold $9US each way shuttle tickets, there was a city bus just outside of the security gates for $2.60, with NO stops except pick up and drop off at the Octagon. Took the Cadbury tour, Went to the free Otago Early Settlers Museum, Brewery tour, and spent some time looking over the beautiful railway station. People on my sailing WERE able to get independent rail tours, that were about 1/2 the ship tour price and went the farther route.

Christchurch- again took the city bus, rather than the overpriced ship shuttle. From the transportation center bus stop- I transferred to the airport bus and it stopped right outside the International Antarctic Centre. Was a priority to see this and the museum was excellent, I purchased the narrated tour along with the ride out back on the track. City bus back- IF you do do this, purchase the $10 day bus pass, rather than pay as you go, significant savings since the airport bus is $6-7. Back to the transportation center, and did not stay in town. Since it was a clear day, wanted to take the gondola ride, again, drop off right at the gondola , beautiful clear day with miles and miles of viewing including the ship. Back on the bus short ride through tunnel to ship shuttle pick up.

Napier- did a self guided Art deco tour, with a library guidebook brought from home. Walked into the Municipal theater for a look around and the Criterion Hotel- a hostile now for a look at lead glass window in the stair well. Went to Hawke's Bay Museum, very worthwhile, then did the 20 minute walk out to the Botanical Gardens. Walked UP the hill to the cemetery for a look, again of interest to me, and a wonderful look at the gardens with bird aviary.

Missed the shuttle back to the ship, but easy cab ride, which was worth it for the extra 45 minutes of touring.

Tauranga- again rented a car- several companies were worth the cost for dock pick up and drop off- $80. I went to Rotorua, stopped in the visitor center , picked up discounted Te Puia tickets, then a 5 minute drive. WONDERFUL, spent several hours here, and picked up a small guided tour, with a fantastic tour guide- included in ticket. Drove then to Lake Taupo- New Zealand's largest lake, since it was such a beautiful clear day. Saw plenty and had a fantastic day for less than 1/2 the ship tour price to just Te Puia.

Aukeland- last port and forgot all about my husband's Harley shirt priority. Night before, online got the address. :) Off the ship early, and the helpful visitor center, gave me exact directions for the city bus to the Harley shop. $1.60 bus fare, 20 minute uphill ride. got off 2 blocks from the shop, got my purchases, then walked to the Domain- 2 blocks. Beautiful walk through park and spent time at the winter garden, continued walk through some trails to south side of park. Kept walking- through Albert Park, past the old clock tower, and clear view of the Sky Tower. Lovely walk through town and most all downhill. :) Ended up walking all the way back to the ship with an excellent look at the city area. Again, had the library guide book.

I had a private tour of Wellington with a friend I met in Alaska. :) Just fantastic, last stop downtown was the Te Papa museum, a do not miss.

So hopefully, these may be some ideas for other's to consider if they want some budget options. :)

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the ports. Could I just point out one inaccuracy - the Port Arthur guided tours DO go into the buildings. Who was it who told you they didn't?

We found it a really worth while tour to do, because you learn so much of the history surrounding not only Port Arthur but Australia's history as a penal colony.:)

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the ports. Could I just point out one inaccuracy - the Port Arthur guided tours DO go into the buildings. Who was it who told you they didn't?

We found it a really worth while tour to do, because you learn so much of the history surrounding not only Port Arthur but Australia's history as a penal colony.:)

We were told that the guided tour, given at Port Arthur, included in the ticket price, did not go into the buildings at the ticket counter and none that we passed- which was several tours- did. All stopped and talked outside the buildings even the church, they just briefly paused outside, talked a few minutes and moved on.

Are you referring to guided booked tours that had their own guide with a bus??? I was there 11-12.

Just one question. Did you pre book car hire at Tauranga or just pick one up, and from where.

Thanks

The cars I rented were all reserved ahead. There were no extra cars at Tauranga, as someone did go ask the several people there if any cars were available, and none had any, I'll assume, since they offered to split a car cost with me, and the pick up next to me.

Are you referring to guided booked tours that had their own guide with a bus??? I was there 11-12.

No, we did what you did and drove from Hobart and just got on one of their own tours at Port Arthur. We didn't go through all the buildings but went inside the jail, the hospital and the church with the tour and then wandered around on our own afterwards through some of the houses.

Also included in the price you get a boat trip in the harbour to one of the islands where the young boys were held.

Thank you for your helpful hints and tips on how to take city buses. We are going on the trip on the Mercury Feb. 17 departing Sydney.

I didn't realize there was an alternative to the buses the cruiseline charters, I was there in Jan. 2005 and it was $5 and $6 local currency then.

No, we did what you did and drove from Hobart and just got on one of their own tours at Port Arthur. We didn't go through all the buildings but went inside the jail, the hospital and the church with the tour and then wandered around on our own afterwards through some of the houses.

Also included in the price you get a boat trip in the harbour to one of the islands where the young boys were held.

And when did you go there??? I also did the included boat ride, also sailed by with commentary about the Ile of the Dead. As I mention, I am only reporting on my trip there 11-12, and was told at the ticket counter that the guided tour, did not include going in ANY buildings. They recommended I just use their very informative guide book and go on my own.

Thanks for the great information. Can you tell us more about the weather when you were there? We're trying to decide between Oct/Nov and Jan/Feb including a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Thanks!

Kia ora i Rotorua, NZ

From a NZ perspective I would opt for Jan/Feb. Apart ftom Princess, which tend to be here most of the year, not many cruise ships come here so early in the season. Think of it as the equivalent of April!

Aquariansicon7.gificon7.gif

We're trying to decide between Oct/Nov and Jan/Feb including a trip to the Great Barrier Reef.

For the Barrier Reef, Oct/Nov would probably be safer weather wise as Jan/Feb is hot and humid in North Queensland with lots of rain and the possibility of cyclones (or at least tropical rain depressions).

I would avoid NZ in January but then I don't like holidaying much anywhere in January as it is the summer school holidays here in Oz and in NZ so kids everywhere. February is good though ... indeed, it is when we have chosen to go to NZ!

Cheers

Bob

Christchurch- again took the city bus, rather than the overpriced ship shuttle. From the transportation center bus stop- I transferred to the airport bus and it stopped right outside the International Antarctic Centre. Was a priority to see this and the museum was excellent, I purchased the narrated tour along with the ride out back on the track. City bus back- IF you do do this, purchase the $10 day bus pass, rather than pay as you go, significant savings since the airport bus is $6-7. Back to the transportation center, and did not stay in town. Since it was a clear day, wanted to take the gondola ride, again, drop off right at the gondola , beautiful clear day with miles and miles of viewing including the ship. Back on the bus short ride through tunnel to ship shuttle pick up.

Thanks for the great advice Budget Queen. One question though on Christchurch ... does travelling to and seeing the Antartic Centre take a big chunk out of the day? I'd like to do it, but also want to spend some time wandering around the city (maybe even going for a romantic punt ride on the Avon with my DW) as well as stopping off as you did to do the gondola on the way backand doing. So, I'm wondering if going to the Antarctic Centre is going to be at the expense of these other things ... in which case, I'll think about going to the similar antartic centre in Auckland.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks for the great information. Can you tell us more about the weather when you were there? We're trying to decide between Oct/Nov and Jan/Feb including a trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Thanks!

Definitely February! Possibility of SNOW in the South of NZ in October....also more likely to have a rough crossing of the Tasman. February/March is the most settled weather in NZ...and Tasmania.

Australia.....there has been a Cyclone off the coast of Cairns earlier this month. No guarantees going to Great Barrier Reef between October and April :eek: The luck of the draw.....it could be hot, sunny and calm OR humid, wet and windy. You could consider flying from Sydney to Hervey Bay (Virgin Blue) then to Lady Elliot or Heron Island which are coral cays at the end of the Reef. Diving, snorkelling, reef walking...and swimming. "Stinger" jellyfish are not this far south....and the WET season doesn't normally impact on this sub tropical area.

Happy Cruising :)

I only went to Hobert and New Zealand, sailing 11-10- 11-24. A similar trip was two weeks earlier. I did speak to someone who did back to back and stated, the first trip was terrible with cold rainy weather, in contrast, we only has one rainy day- the fjords sailing, all the rest was warm- 60-75 and sunny and dry. :)

Thanks for the great advice Budget Queen. One question though on Christchurch ... does travelling to and seeing the Antartic Centre take a big chunk out of the day? I'd like to do it, but also want to spend some time wandering around the city (maybe even going for a romantic punt ride on the Avon with my DW) as well as stopping off as you did to do the gondola on the way backand doing. So, I'm wondering if going to the Antarctic Centre is going to be at the expense of these other things ... in which case, I'll think about going to the similar antartic centre in Auckland.

Cheers

Bob

The Anarctic Centre does require time. I spent several hours, because it was of priority interest to me. Also the city bus ride is probably close to 30 minutes. I could have had time for a brief look at the city, but with also doing the gondola, and a port time of 9am- 6pm - not a lot of time.

The Aukeland Centre, is no comparism to the superior one in Christchurch, which has more exhibits.

Thanks for the great advice Budget Queen. One question though on Christchurch ... (maybe even going for a romantic punt ride on the Avon with my DW)

Cheers

Bob

hey Bob

makes me chuckle everytime I think of punting on the Avon. Been to CChurch too many times and always have to wander past the 'mighty' Avon to get my laugh for the day. My partner is a CChurcher and I give him heaps about the fact that the ducks in the Avon can actually tiuch the bottom!

pete

(sorry if I've burst a bubble you had)

hey Bob

makes me chuckle everytime I think of punting on the Avon. Been to CChurch too many times and always have to wander past the 'mighty' Avon to get my laugh for the day. My partner is a CChurcher and I give him heaps about the fact that the ducks in the Avon can actually tiuch the bottom!

(sorry if I've burst a bubble you had)

Thanks Pete ... actually it is something my wife suggested when looking at what to do there ... clearly, it seems the Avon surrounds have more to offer than the 'river' itself.

Bob

The Anarctic Centre does require time. I spent several hours, because it was of priority interest to me. Also the city bus ride is probably close to 30 minutes. I could have had time for a brief look at the city, but with also doing the gondola, and a port time of 9am- 6pm - not a lot of time.

The Aukeland Centre, is no comparism to the superior one in Christchurch, which has more exhibits.

Thanks muchly ... this is what I like about CC ... that people take the ttime to help other people to maximise their cruise experience.

Bob

Thanks Buget Queen....some good ideas for us.....I just booked a car in Tauranga...Avis....is that the one you used....and did you have to tell them to come to the port to get you.....car cost about $114 NZ with all taxes....but with 4 of us this should be way cheaper than the ship tour to Rotorua and a cultural show....is that what you did....Ken in Canada

Th

I did get some help on this board and thought I would post on my recent touring experiences to perhaps give other's ideas.

I am not one to consider ship tours, just to crowded and lacking for me, so my slant is for those who can consider some self touring. I also paid significantly less doing so and had a great time.

In Hobart, (Not New Zealand, I know :) )- I rented a car and drove to Port Arthur- just fantastic and EASY. I rented from Hertz downtown, walked to the office, about a mile, would be easy to get a cab also. Rental was $40 plus $20 for gas, $25 Port Arthur admission. Skipped the guided tour, since they don't get into the buildings. They gave a wonderful detailed guidebook.

Dunedin- although, the ship sold $9US each way shuttle tickets, there was a city bus just outside of the security gates for $2.60, with NO stops except pick up and drop off at the Octagon. Took the Cadbury tour, Went to the free Otago Early Settlers Museum, Brewery tour, and spent some time looking over the beautiful railway station. People on my sailing WERE able to get independent rail tours, that were about 1/2 the ship tour price and went the farther route.

Napier- did a self guided Art deco tour, with a library guidebook brought from home. Walked into the Municipal theater for a look around and the Criterion Hotel- a hostile now for a look at lead glass window in the stair well. Went to Hawke's Bay Museum, very worthwhile, then did the 20 minute walk out to the Botanical Gardens. Walked UP the hill to the cemetery for a look, again of interest to me, and a wonderful look at the gardens with bird aviary.

Missed the shuttle back to the ship, but easy cab ride, which was worth it for the extra 45 minutes of touring.

Tauranga- again rented a car- several companies were worth the cost for dock pick up and drop off- $80. I went to Rotorua, stopped in the visitor center , picked up discounted Te Puia tickets, then a 5 minute drive. WONDERFUL, spent several hours here, and picked up a small guided tour, with a fantastic tour guide- included in ticket. Drove then to Lake Taupo- New Zealand's largest lake, since it was such a beautiful clear day. Saw plenty and had a fantastic day for less than 1/2 the ship tour price to just Te Puia.

Aukeland- last port and forgot all about my husband's Harley shirt priority. Night before, online got the address. :) Off the ship early, and the helpful visitor center, gave me exact directions for the city bus to the Harley shop. $1.60 bus fare, 20 minute uphill ride. got off 2 blocks from the shop, got my purchases, then walked to the Domain- 2 blocks. Beautiful walk through park and spent time at the winter garden, continued walk through some trails to south side of park. Kept walking- through Albert Park, past the old clock tower, and clear view of the Sky Tower. Lovely walk through town and most all downhill. :) Ended up walking all the way back to the ship with an excellent look at the city area. Again, had the library guide book.

I had a private tour of Wellington with a friend I met in Alaska. :) Just fantastic, last stop downtown was the Te Papa museum, a do not miss.

So hopefully, these may be some ideas for other's to consider if they want some budget options. :)

We did that in Jan. 2005 and I did not enjoy it at all. Afterwards we did go to an animal park and saw a kiwi. I really did enjoy it. As for the Antarctic tour, they give you cloth type booties that make it very slippery walking on the ice and then they simulate a huricane with cold wind blowing on you.

We are going to Australia/New Zealand in our winter to get away from snow and ice. We get enough of it and most of it is unexpected. Like this early in the season. It snowed like mad last night, then it got just above zero and melted a bit and then it got colder and froze and now it is slippery outside and lots of car accidents.

Maybe other people like arctic conditions, even simulated but not me.

Christchurch itself is a lovely city and the river is great and there are tours.

Naturally, we are not doing this antarctic tour again this time in February.

Thanks Buget Queen....some good ideas for us.....I just booked a car in Tauranga...Avis....is that the one you used....and did you have to tell them to come to the port to get you.....car cost about $114 NZ with all taxes....but with 4 of us this should be way cheaper than the ship tour to Rotorua and a cultural show....is that what you did....Ken in Canada

Th

Be certain, where you dock???? RCI did not dock in Tauranga, but in Mt Maunganui. Avis cars were not at the dock for my sailing. It was another independent- Rent Rite or similar name similar????

I paid $45pp at the visitor center for Te Puia admission, $5 discount.

The antartic museum in christchurch is great but what about a trip to the antartic? Qantas run 12hour plane rides to antartica from sydney and melbourne in the summer season (november to march) all meals drinks included and a low flyover in warm comfort very spectacular business class is best as you have just 2 of you at each window cattle class prices are around $900 australian dollars - just a thought have friends that have been on this trip and they had a great time and got some spectacular photos

Archived