conflicting data on dress code

I was on the Harmony about a year ago. Ate at both Chops and Giovanis. Saw men (and women) wearing shorts in both.

This is a trend that’s been happening for years, now. The vast majority do not want to pack jackets, ties, gowns, etc. They just want to be comfortable on vacation.

That said, if you want to wear long pants or a “dressy” dress, feel free to do so. Conversely, if you want to stay casual with shorts and a button down shirt or blouse, feel free to wear those, too.

I have never, ever, seen anyone turned away from the specialty restaurants based on their dress.....certainly not from any of the MDRs, either.

Always so much BS about nice dress shorts in MDR ware what you want it's your cruise and you paid for it as long as you don't look like a slob I DONT CARE what you are wearing to eat in.

Another case of "I don't care what you wear as long as you don't wear X." :confused::D

Edited by time4u2go

Just got off the Anthem yesterday. We ate in the Silk MDR every night, and saw a large variety in attire. Yes, there were men and women in shorts every night, and sometimes even shorts and tee-shirts. (On one night, there was even a man in basketball shorts and sleeveless basketball jersey). After the first few days, I gave in and allowed my teenage sons to wear cargo shorts and polos to the dining room as well. The only thing that really surprised me was that there were a few men wearing baseball caps while dining. (Maybe that's the "old school" in me). Formal nights were a range of quite casual to quite formal.

It seems to me that the guidelines for attire have loosened considerably, but that certainly didn't detract from my dining experience.

I've spoken to 2 different people at RCI regarding recommended dress code for the main dining rooms and/or Chops/Giovanni's Table.

One person said... men can wear nice dress shorts with golf type shirts or collared shirts..no jeans, cut offs, tank tops. resort casual is recommended. Chops etc would be long pants with a sport jacket. Just nice dress shirts, no tie.

Then I was told today that even in the main dining room, they prefer sport jackets, dress pants, maybe a tie or suit if desired. NO shorts in any ship restaurant unless it's the buffet. Really??

I'm reaching out to previous passengers on the Adventure of the Seas. People that have been there and saw what fellow cruisers actually walk in wearing to the MDR and upscale dining venues.

Just wondering if they "bend the rules " as to what's acceptable especially on the first night because they know some passengers won't get their luggage by dinner time so they "let" you wear shorts in the MDR. They did this on NCL. Thoughts???

Thanks for any help on this matter!!!

Dress codes don't matter. I'm just off Adventure. We only ate in the MDR once (my time dining on the second formal night - otherwise it was Windjammer). As we were waiting to be seated I counted at least 3-4 people walking out of the dining room in shorts or jeans (adults not children). There is absolutely no rules on dress code, period. Wear what you want.

Then I was told today that even in the main dining room, they prefer sport jackets, dress pants, maybe a tie or suit if desired. NO shorts in any ship restaurant unless it's the buffet. Really??

I'm reaching out to previous passengers on the Adventure of the Seas. People that have been there and saw what fellow cruisers actually walk in wearing to the MDR and upscale dining venues.

On AD a woman at my table in the MDR wore a sporty outfit one night: biking shorts, tank top. The other nights were equally casual for this couple. They were always late and definitely did not dress up. They got the same service as all the behaving passengers. I only remember them because they were seated at my table.

In Chops my husband wore slacks and a polo shirt, no jacket.

Were you looking around? Maybe you were traumatized by it and you won't let yourself remember.
As 50% are Ladies and a lot of them wear shorts it's hard not to see shorts.

On casual nights probably 10% of men wear shorts,70% jeans and 20% long trousers from my observations.

• 1 month later...
I've spoken to 2 different people at RCI regarding recommended dress code for the main dining rooms and/or Chops/Giovanni's Table.

One person said... men can wear nice dress shorts with golf type shirts or collared shirts..no jeans, cut offs, tank tops. resort casual is recommended. Chops etc would be long pants with a sport jacket. Just nice dress shirts, no tie.

Just wondering if they "bend the rules " as to what's acceptable especially on the first night because they know some passengers won't get their luggage by dinner time so they "let" you wear shorts in the MDR. They did this on NCL. Thoughts???

Thanks for any help on this matter!!!

I stopped wearing a suit/sports jacket for any venue on a RCI ship in December 2015.

For dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants I wear a button down or knit shirt ,chinos or khaki's ,sneakers or shoes.

Oh my would people get off the dress code there is none and wear what you want!!! Royal has suggestions they are not mandatory only suggestive guidelines, just off the Oasis and every night anything pretty much went in all the dining rooms, shorts, t-shirts, jeans, suits, as long as you wear clothes!!

Actually Royal specifically refers to it as a dress “code” so there is, in fact a dress code. Just because they don’t enforce it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

There will always be those that either aren’t aware of the dress code or elect to ignore it. A polite host pretends not to notice and a polite guest does the same thing. No guest should be made to feel uncomfortable.

For any event, occasion or venue, I dress as requested. It’s just how I was raised. However, I have no control over what others wear and I rarely notice.

Edited by galavant3

Actually Royal specifically refers to it as a dress “code” so there is, in fact a dress code. Just because they don’t enforce it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

There will always be those that either aren’t aware of the dress code or elect to ignore it. A polite host pretends not to notice and a polite guest does the same thing. No guest should be made to feel uncomfortable.

For any event, occasion or venue, I dress as requested. It’s just how I was raised. However, I have no control over what others wear and I rarely notice.

60f8e5ac-bc70-48b4-80f3-6ecef554c70d

5c195456-7799-48aa-8a43-de48713a5d62

Doesn’t it say “suggested” dress? I don’t see the word “required “.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums