I gave up drinking soda, how is the water on the ship?

JAMESCC

All cruise lines over chorine the water on ships. They do it to kills bugs and help to prevent novovirus and other stomach bugs. Drinking the water is fine for short periods of time. If I was living on the ship full time it might be an issue. But for occasional vacations just drink the water on ship and save yourself money.

If I was doing a world cruise that was 3 or more months it would be a different story

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure what your "standards" are for declaring the water "over chlorinated". The EPA requires that water have a detectable level as a minimum, and a maximum of 4ppm for municipal water systems. Ships will chlorinate water either taken on in port, or produced onboard, to 4ppm (as required by USPH requirements), but this chlorine will naturally dissipate as the water stays in the storage tanks. The water in circulation is required by USPH to have a detectable level of 0.5ppm at the farthest point from the chlorination equipment. As I pointed out earlier, because the water is circulated, the level in the water under circulation is much more tightly controlled than the "one way" delivery from your municipality to your house, and the levels will be in the 0.7 to 0.5ppm range.

Personally, I've lived on ships for a minimum of six months a year for 43 years, drinking nothing but the ship's water, and have had no health issues from chlorine.

Not sure what your "standards" are for declaring the water "over chlorinated". The EPA requires that water have a detectable level as a minimum, and a maximum of 4ppm for municipal water systems. Ships will chlorinate water either taken on in port, or produced onboard, to 4ppm (as required by USPH requirements), but this chlorine will naturally dissipate as the water stays in the storage tanks. The water in circulation is required by USPH to have a detectable level of 0.5ppm at the farthest point from the chlorination equipment. As I pointed out earlier, because the water is circulated, the level in the water under circulation is much more tightly controlled than the "one way" delivery from your municipality to your house, and the levels will be in the 0.7 to 0.5ppm range.

Personally, I've lived on ships for a minimum of six months a year for 43 years, drinking nothing but the ship's water, and have had no health issues from chlorine.

My “standards” come from my wife who is a civil engineer and who has specialized in environmental engineering and water quality for most of her career.

Just stating here what her opinion was on the subject.

I know chengkp you are a regular poster her on cruise critic and have seen you posts many times. I know you know what you are talking about. My apologies if I said something out of wack.

It made sense to me after I asked my wife her opinion. Take is for what’s it’s worth I guess.

I'm really curious to know why drinking bottled water works for this swielling condition on ships. From what our Chief Engineer says, the amount of sodium in the ship's water is less than our municipal water. So it's got to be something other than sodium. Too many people report that drinking bottled water significantly reduces the condition.

Does not work for me. I started buying the water pkg and it has had no effect on the ankles. Must be the food. At home I have no trouble at all.

Does not work for me. I started buying the water pkg and it has had no effect on the ankles. Must be the food. At home I have no trouble at all.

Proof that everyone system is different. My husband has never had swollen ankles in his life. He also drinks very little water, getting his from milk, coffee and tea.

I try hard to drink plenty of water to keep from getting kidney stones again.

He has never had them.

Life is funny that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How is the quality of the "tap water" on Anthem or RCI ships in general?

It won't kill you. Yet I'm happy to spend the money on bottled water on a ship as I hate the chlorine smell. My brain immediately starts to decide between a swimming pool and a bathroom and needs some convincing that we're actually in a restaurant.

It won't kill you. Yet I'm happy to spend the money on bottled water on a ship as I hate the chlorine smell. My brain immediately starts to decide between a swimming pool and a bathroom and needs some convincing that we're actually in a restaurant.
Yeah now that I've been thinking about it I hate tap water here at home. I haven't drank tap water at home in 15+ years. The Brita water bottle should help but I'm gonna bring 12 bottles of water on board. I mean they allow it now so why not.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was on the Oasis in August and just drank Apple juice for breakfast and water the rest of day. I had my refillable mug and never had a problem. Got ice/water from the Freestyle machines. I noticed 2 just ice/water dispensers, one in the Solerium Bistro and one in the Park Cafe. The room steward gave us ice morning and night.