Parkwest

cruisinmems

Are the art galleries still on the ships or have they been removed?

My wife and I had this discussion last night. We just sailed the Imagination a couple of weeks ago and the gallery was definitely there. However, we're sailing on the Panorama in 2019 and the deck plans available currently don't show an art gallery space.

I just finished reading the Cruise Confidential series by Brian David Bruns. He eventually became an art auctioneer on cruise ships and they have a sales quota they have to make each cruise. One of his ship assignments (don't remember which one) had a $30,000 minimal/Goal 1 sales quota. How on earth is someone supposed to meet that and it's only Goal 1 ... there are several levels/Goals. He did say (I suppose he has to) that ALL of the art was REAL, original, etc. Even the $100,000+ Picassos. I don't for one minute think REAL picassos are on any ship sailing around. But I'm pretty cynical in general.

They are still there. We just got back and we didn't step foot in the gallery

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

When we were on the Princess Ruby from our room you would take elevator down to atrium level. From there you would have to walk through the hallway in which they had the art hanging, just to get to the main hub. Where their options around this? YES , but it was out of the way.:mad: If I want to see the art I will come see the art, but please do not make me walk through it every trip to the atrium/ coffee shop.

Parkwest did not renew their contract with Carnival.

I tried a search to confirm that, but I didn't find anything. One link actually went to a Carnival page that described the relationship between CCL and PW, but it may be an outdated page.

Do you have a source for the non-renewal? I am hoping they won't be there anymore. The wife likes to go to the Auctions and it has cost me a lot of $$ in the past. She is getting better about that, but I would like to avoid them altogether. In my search I did find a lot of info on people getting scammed, and one about PW getting sued for faking Dali prints.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-14/ever-bought-artwork-on-a-cruise-prepare-to-be-seasick

The above link is interesting, related reading. At least for those of us who not fans of the Park West cruise line art galleries. We plan to be onboard a Carnival ship in September. I will be happy to report back that they are gone. Of course, we shall see.

I have never understood the relationship between cruise ships and selling art, but maybe that is because I don’t appreciate art enough.

I barely noticed, other than being aware in passing that the gallery in was there I paid no attention and also probably would not notice if it was gone. As far as the connection between art gallery/auction and cruising I would guess it appealed to the same people that get up in arms about tablecloths missing from tables.

As an artist, and as an art teacher, it is more personal for me.

The majority of the people who sail on the voyages we have enjoyed, come from areas with brilliant, local artists. If they truly wanted something "to match the couch" or for his "man cave" , they would do better to commission something locally. They would save money, possess an original, and keep their money within their local economy.

Again, it is more personal for me.