Official Statement from Celebrity RE: Norovirus on Celebrity Solstice

CCShayne

We reached out to Celebrity for more information and received an official statement detailing exact figures. The statement is posted below in its entirety:

Celebrity Cruises Statement

February 6, 2011

During Celebrity Solstice’s last two sailings, an elevated number of persons have experienced gastrointestinal illness. Over the course of the sailing that concluded on January 30, five out of 1,234 crew and 39 out of 2,858 guests experienced the illness, thought to be norovirus. Over the course of the last sailing, which concluded on February 6, nine out of 1,227 crew and 118 out of 2,839 guests experienced the illness. Those affected by the short-lived illness responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.

At Celebrity Cruises, we have high health standards for all our guests and crew. Therefore, in an abundance of caution, when Celebrity Solstice arrived at the Port Everglades on Saturday, January 30 and February 6, we conducted an extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, to help prevent any illness from affecting the subsequent sailing.

Also, all guests on both sailings received a letter at boarding that asked if they had experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days. Similarly, if guests were uncomfortable taking their cruise at that time, for reasons related to personal health or otherwise, our staff would assist them in rescheduling their sailing for another time.

According to health experts, each year as many as 300 million people worldwide are affected by Norovirus. Only the common cold is more prevalent.

Celebrity Solstice is currently on seven-night Caribbean sailings that include port calls in San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

progress.gifedit.gif

We reached out to Celebrity for more information and received an official statement detailing exact figures. The statement is posted below in its entirety:

Celebrity Cruises Statement

February 6, 2011

During Celebrity Solstice’s last two sailings, an elevated number of persons have experienced gastrointestinal illness. Over the course of the sailing that concluded on January 30, five out of 1,234 crew and 39 out of 2,858 guests experienced the illness, thought to be norovirus. Over the course of the last sailing, which concluded on February 6, nine out of 1,227 crew and 118 out of 2,839 guests experienced the illness. Those affected by the short-lived illness responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.

At Celebrity Cruises, we have high health standards for all our guests and crew. Therefore, in an abundance of caution, when Celebrity Solstice arrived at the Port Everglades on Saturday, January 30 and February 6, we conducted an extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, to help prevent any illness from affecting the subsequent sailing.

Also, all guests on both sailings received a letter at boarding that asked if they had experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days. Similarly, if guests were uncomfortable taking their cruise at that time, for reasons related to personal health or otherwise, our staff would assist them in rescheduling their sailing for another time.

According to health experts, each year as many as 300 million people worldwide are affected by Norovirus. Only the common cold is more prevalent.

Celebrity Solstice is currently on seven-night Caribbean sailings that include port calls in San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

progress.gifedit.gif

WOW! What a lie from Celebrity. I just read this to my husband, and you can imagine the explicatives he shouted out from the inaccurate info. We sailed Jan 23-30th. In our MDR area, there were over 5 staff gone one night alone from what our waiter said was Noro.....and from being in the Medical area 3 seperate days (one with husband, and 2 more with each child) I witnessed MANY more than 39 people with severe vomiting and diahhea. Also, the Doctor that was treating is had to leave twice during the exam of my son for his own diahhrea. He stated that they were so overworked they had to work while ill. He wore gloves and a mask while working.

What a sad thing for them to misrepresent the number so drastically. But as a business, of course they are going to do that. As I RN myself, I find it very sad to see "health information" like this being screwed.

On that note...perhaps Celebrity is trying not to call most of these cases Noro. When I brought my 4 yr old down, they asked the reason for the visit on the CDC paper. The Doctor got very offended when I wrote "Norovirus". He asked me how I could write that,

Are you a physician, he asked?!". No, but I told him that I've been an ICU RN for 16 years. He then backed down. I can only assume that they probably are trying not to call a great number of these cases Noro.

I also saw the STACK of CDC reports from our cruise alone. It was a xerox copy size box filled to the top. Slightly more than 39 suspected cases. Sheesh!

I am not disputing Celebrity's numbers, and just to play the devil's advocate here, I bet quite a few of the passengers self-medicated themselves, and did not report to the infirmary. So the numbers that Celebrity had were only from those that had been treated at the infirmary and reported.

I am not disputing Celebrity's numbers, and just to play the devil's advocate here, I bet quite a few of the passengers self-medicated themselves, and did not report to the infirmary. So the numbers that Celebrity had were only from those that had been treated at the infirmary and reported.

As an RN, I can respect patient privacy issues. But as a Consumer I wished I would have taken my video out to show the huge line going out the infirmery one day with nearly everyone in line heaving into a bag and them passing out adult diapers to people in line because there was only 2 bathrooms down in that area. (and that was only 1 of the 3 days I was down there. The rest of the days had the 2 waiting areas filled to the brim with people) I also wonder if all those CDC forms are being properly filed to the CDC.

While I appreciate a devil's advocate, I AM DISPUTING those numbers because I WAS there!

And perhaps the staff are more reluctant to actually report their illness. Our housekeeper told us that if they get ill and have to stay out, they lose their pay for that day. IF this is the case, I can easily see why some would NOT report the illness and return to work as soon as possible even though they are still able to spread the Norovirus. = ( Since many of them rely heavily on their income for families back home, this is very possible.

"....While I appreciate a devil's advocate, I AM DISPUTING those numbers because I WAS there!

....".

Relax.... these things (illness, the spread of viruses etc) happen. Its no different than going to a resort in the caribbean and getting travelers diharrea or even Hep A. Or, going to Africa and contracting malaria. The fact is that it happened and they are trying to deal with the issue the best they can on a floating resort with limited space and facilities. You seem like you are on a crusade against Celebrity beacuse unfortunately your family got sick and you had to deal with it.

Relax.... these things (illness, the spread of viruses etc) happen. Its no different than going to a resort in the caribbean and getting travelers diharrea or even Hep A. Or, going to Africa and contracting malaria. The fact is that it happened and they are trying to deal with the issue the best they can on a floating resort with limited space and facilities. You seem like you are on a crusade against Celebrity beacuse unfortunately your family got sick and you had to deal with it.

My crusade (as you call it) is not with the fact that we grew ill on our cruise. It is that we had horrible service on that ill fated cruise.

I am upset with Celebrity that our room had previous been occupied by Ill passengers (per our attendant) and there were things visably dirty upon us entering it. I am upset that we were not able to cancel our St Thomas excursion for our famaily of 4 ($400), even though we knew 36 hrs before. The time limit was 48 hrs. I would consider this to be cirsumstances they could budge on. I am upset they tried to give my son an adult dose of antibiotic (thank goodness I had the knowledge of proper dosing.) These are only a few of the items I could list. I have spoke at length with Celebrity on the phone, and have written a letter and sent it out to several areas. And yes, since I am not getting any kind of adequate response from Celebrity.....I am on a crusade for people to know the facts about how many people were actually affected. Maybe ignorance is better for bliss. I love for Celebrity to learn from their mistakes so that other passengers can have better customer service than we had.

Kutty1101,

I'm sorry to have some doubts on the reasons your "crusade":

You claim that you thankfully knew how much ANTIBIOTICS to give your son who apparantly suffered NoroVIRUS symptoms...:eek::eek::rolleyes:

So you are A Registered Nurse?

NO Medical staff will EVER prescribe antibiotics for a virus. Why not? Because at least they know that antibiotics are only effective on certain bacteria. Your story is thus proven incorrect in that respect.

My crusade (as you call it) is not with the fact that we grew ill on our cruise. It is that we had horrible service on that ill fated cruise.

I am upset with Celebrity that our room had previous been occupied by Ill passengers (per our attendant) and there were things visably dirty upon us entering it. I am upset that we were not able to cancel our St Thomas excursion for our famaily of 4 ($400), even though we knew 36 hrs before. The time limit was 48 hrs. I would consider this to be cirsumstances they could budge on. I am upset they tried to give my son an adult dose of antibiotic (thank goodness I had the knowledge of proper dosing.) These are only a few of the items I could list. I have spoke at length with Celebrity on the phone, and have written a letter and sent it out to several areas. And yes, since I am not getting any kind of adequate response from Celebrity.....I am on a crusade for people to know the facts about how many people were actually affected. Maybe ignorance is better for bliss. I love for Celebrity to learn from their mistakes so that other passengers can have better customer service than we had.

Why did they give your son an antibiotic? Did he have another illness?

Kutty1101,

I'm sorry to have some doubts on the reasons your "crusade":

You claim that you thankfully knew how much ANTIBIOTICS to give your son who apparantly suffered NoroVIRUS symptoms...:eek::eek::rolleyes:

So you are A Registered Nurse?

NO Medical staff will EVER prescribe antibiotics for a virus. Why not? Because at least they know that antibiotics are only effective on certain bacteria. Your story is thus proven incorrect in that respect.

Nice observation. I was already kind of suspicious of many of her prior posts, but I think this just about proves she is not to be taken seriously.

Kutty1101 - Don't mean to question your "crusade" but you raise some interesting points.

Why would the give your son any form of anitbiotic for a virus?

You say people were so sick that they stayed in line and went the bathroom in a diaper instead of going back to their rooms??? :eek:

Just doesn't add up.

Gonzo - I think we posted at almost the exact same time, didn't mean to steal your thunder.

B.

You say people were so sick that they stayed in line and went the bathroom in a diaper instead of going back to their rooms??? :eek:

Just doesn't add up.

B.

Agreed.... I highly doubt Celebrity would let their customers **** themselves in the waiting room/hallways and THEN go in and see the doctor? Plus where would you put on these diapers? In the hall while you were waiting?!

-Go to the medical office

-Stand in line

-Get your diaper

-go back to your room to put on your diaper

-come back down and stand in line again (possibly **** yourself and then have to go back to your room and then back downstairs {hopefully you brought a new diaper} OR- just wait in line like a mess and wait to see the doctor)

Seems highly unlikely. Were people wearing these diapers out by the pool and MDR as well? Dont know if that would follow the dress code....

Oh my goodness. I wish you all could have been there. I am sharing the facts of our experience.

Two things are evident: the MD on board was not fully qualified, and the above posters are not medically knowledgable. Yes, Amoxicilling would not be a "standard of care" for Norovirus but I believe the MD was trying to pass this off as an H. Pylori case as not to have to call it Norovirus. My son was not ill prior to this cruise, and had no other illness other than the Noro. I still have the bottle of Amoxicillin that they gave to us. I did not administer it to my son because I knew it was not a 'standard of care' for Noro within US guidelines. We did bring Cipro along (from a recent trip to Costa Rica) but that also would not be warranted in Noro.

And no, people should not be wearing these diapers out by the pool and in the MDR. The people, like my dear husband, who needed these were too ill to even leave the room. He is 45, and could not control his own bowels it was that severe. After numerous explosions in the bed, and the room....these diapers were a saving grace. I think the only wa you could ever fathom this type of illness is if you have had it, or you are a Health Care Provider and have seen healthy young people have it.

I'm not in the mood for a fight with my Cruise Critic fellows. If you think I have suddenly turned on my favorite cruiseline for no reason.....that's your own agenda.

I was concerned about our cruise next week. I have heard reports about the cleaning, inconvenient boarding times, serving by staff at the buffet, and general tilt in the axis of the earth.

Some travelers are reporting a great time, with minor problems, and then I read the diaper and barfing reports. Whew, enough to jump start the heart. Hard to imagine someone so ill they needed to don a diaper and then sit in the passageway awaiting medical attention.

I tend to believe that Celebrity is acting in a professional manor, and that the medical staff were not total incompetents. I hope our cruise is healthy and that I don 't have to deal with illness.

Stressful times, and who needs that when on a vacation. I have researched preventative measures and have found out that alcohol does little, however chlorine will kill the nasty little bug. I still plan on premedicating with alcohol injested prior to the cruise and heavily during the cruise.

Kutty, lots of other Cruise Critic members were on that cruise and I have yet to see a single description similar to yours. I am not saying it was not a horrible experience for many, but your version seems to be either fake or greatly exaggerated. As for qualifications, how much qualification does one need to know that not only is antibiotics not a standard of care for noro, they are contraindicated for noro!

Kutty,

Amoxicilline is a Peniciline derivate used mostly to counter bacterial infections.

Its main working component is beta-lactam which basically counters the multiplication of the bacteria.

Nothing to do with viral infections and counterproductive to say the least.

Helicobacter pylori is indeed a bacteria that can be treated by amoxicilline. It is deemed a bacteria involved in gastritis and stomac ulcers. However, it is estimated that around 50% of the World's population has the bacteria. It is also thought of protecting the body against oesofaguscarcinome.

Pleas don't assume I am unknowledgeable in medicine.

Kutty, lots of other Cruise Critic members were on that cruise and I have yet to see a single description similar to yours. I am not saying it was not a horrible experience for many, but your version seems to be either fake or greatly exaggerated. As for qualifications, how much qualification does one need to know that not only is antibiotics not a standard of care for noro, they are contraindicated for noro!

Well, you all just gave me much momentum to persue this furthur. I have the bottle of Amox, and the hand written instructions from the Doctor on board. I guess it's just as bad as them administering meds without asking for allergies or other meds people were on for possible interactions.

I was on the Jan 30 cruise. This is what I observed:

-Extremely hard working crew members trying to keep everyone safe. Wash your hands was repeated so many time I can't count. You pretty much had to use the hand disinfectant whenever offered or you were given a "look":mad:!

-Constant cleaning everywhere. If an "accident" occured, the area was blocked off quickly and a group of cleaners in hazmat type suits were there.

- you couldn't touch any food or food service items. Even salt and pepper were given to you in those little packets. Drinks were handed out by the crew. Everything was handed out by the crew. If you sat in a lounge for a drink, right after you got up someone would come by and spray the chair with a disinfectant. The dining room was disinfected between meals. You couldn't even pour your own cream for coffee. It was done for you.

- My wife is a retired hygenist and she said that the process used by Celebrity reminded her of what she did in her dental room between patients and she is very particular in that area. Walls, posts, chairs, you name it and it was cleaned. The poor crew looked exhausted.

- Yes, we did miss out on things but it was our decision to go. BTW, we did NOT get sick...Washed our hands and used the disinfectant and NEVER touched our face unless we just had washed up.

Phil

but I believe the MD was trying to pass this off as an H. Pylori case as not to have to call it Norovirus.

Did the doctor say this, or is this just what you "believe"

We did bring Cipro along (from a recent trip to Costa Rica) but that also would not be warranted in Noro.

Cipro is always recommended to be used "with caution" under age 18, if it were prescribed for a recent trip, then can we assume that you took it along for this trip "just in case". In other words, not following the directions or intentions of the prescribing MD?

I have the bottle of Amox, and the hand written instructions from the Doctor on board. I guess it's just as bad as them administering meds without asking for allergies or other meds people were on for possible interactions.

What do the written instructions say exactly? If you knew this wasn't the right thing to do, why didn't you question him/her? If you knew it was Noro, what did you hope to gain from the visit?

the above posters are not medically knowledgeable

Board certified pediatrician with 17 years under my belt. The particular Noro strain in our community has been especially virulent this winter. One weekend, I had 3 children admitted for dehydration and IV fluids. NONE were treated with antibiotics. Two were given Zofran for nausea. No one else in any of their households had the illness to the same extent, if at all.

A little common sense goes a long way. Wash hands THOROUGHLY with warm to hot water and soap! I know you said you and your family did this in a previous post. Just a reminder to everyone else out there. My hands are like lizards right now - they hurt they have been washed so much.

I am sorry your trip was miserable.

As an RN, I can respect patient privacy issues. But as a Consumer I wished I would have taken my video out to show the huge line going out the infirmery one day with nearly everyone in line heaving into a bag and them passing out adult diapers to people in line because there was only 2 bathrooms down in that area. (and that was only 1 of the 3 days I was down there. The rest of the days had the 2 waiting areas filled to the brim with people) I also wonder if all those CDC forms are being properly filed to the CDC.

While I appreciate a devil's advocate, I AM DISPUTING those numbers because I WAS there!

And perhaps the staff are more reluctant to actually report their illness. Our housekeeper told us that if they get ill and have to stay out, they lose their pay for that day. IF this is the case, I can easily see why some would NOT report the illness and return to work as soon as possible even though they are still able to spread the Norovirus. = ( Since many of them rely heavily on their income for families back home, this is very possible.

On other threads regarding tipping, it has been reported that the housekeeping staff earn $50 per month. Most of their income is earned through tips. So missing a day's pay is hardly going to break the bank.

I felt compelled to reply to several of these posts. My husband and I were on the Solstice 1/16 cruising in cabin 7245. We both were stricken with what may have potentially been the worst case of vomitting and diarrhea we have ever had (46 and 47 years old). We had the virus 2 days apart and so we missed most of our cruise. When afflicted with the virus we were unable to get out of bed except to try to make it to the bathroom. I had projectile vomitting so bad I literally hit the walls of the bathroon....I tried to aim for the shower!!!! I really felt bad for our amazing cabin stewards!!!! They never once turned away from their duties.....when I would have personally run! They checked on us constantly.....we were literally too sick to wait for the medical clinic to see us. I know that it would have been better for us to be "counted" for CDC purposes, but we really felt that bad. I think the Ship itself was probably sick when we boarded and the only thing that I can fault Celebrity on is that they should consider mandatory hand sanitizing before entering the buffet (where my doctor at home said it more than likely came from). I saw a lot of passengers by-passing the nice crew that was "squirting" it right into your hand. Please be careful judging others posts when it comes to this horrible virus.....although it didn't kill us it sure killed our vacation!!!! It won't stop me from cruising, but you can't believe it until you have it!!!

I returned to the UK lunchtime today after a wonderful cruise on Celebrity Solstice. I have to totally agree with the post by Florida Cruisers. The staff were always cleaning and being very particular. I saw a lady just about to grab a banana from the buffet and she was told off by the server. The staff worked so hard during a very difficult time.

I work in a hospital and am very familiar with Norovirus and how to minimise the transmission of the bug and did tell passengers not to use fingertips when pressing lift buttons, not using public washrooms etc.

My only citicism towards Celebrity was the terribly dirty state of the washrooms whilst waiting to disembark obviously lots of passengers were about to leave the ship with the bug. There was no attendant on duty no loo roll and lots of filth around.

but I believe the MD was trying to pass this off as an H. Pylori case as not to have to call it Norovirus.

Did the doctor say this, or is this just what you "believe"

We did bring Cipro along (from a recent trip to Costa Rica) but that also would not be warranted in Noro.

Cipro is always recommended to be used "with caution" under age 18, if it were prescribed for a recent trip, then can we assume that you took it along for this trip "just in case". In other words, not following the directions or intentions of the prescribing MD?

I have the bottle of Amox, and the hand written instructions from the Doctor on board. I guess it's just as bad as them administering meds without asking for allergies or other meds people were on for possible interactions.

What do the written instructions say exactly? If you knew this wasn't the right thing to do, why didn't you question him/her? If you knew it was Noro, what did you hope to gain from the visit?

the above posters are not medically knowledgeable

Board certified pediatrician with 17 years under my belt. The particular Noro strain in our community has been especially virulent this winter. One weekend, I had 3 children admitted for dehydration and IV fluids. NONE were treated with antibiotics. Two were given Zofran for nausea. No one else in any of their households had the illness to the same extent, if at all.

A little common sense goes a long way. Wash hands THOROUGHLY with warm to hot water and soap! I know you said you and your family did this in a previous post. Just a reminder to everyone else out there. My hands are like lizards right now - they hurt they have been washed so much.

I am sorry your trip was miserable.

-As stated in a previous post....the MD questioned my credientials and asked how I could call this "Norovirus" on my son's admission sheet.

-We travel about every 3-4 months to some very remote places as a family. Our international travel MD has us all in for annual appts where we recieve current vaccinations and prophylaxic Rxs. To bring the Cipro with was not going against his orders.

-I did mention that the Amox dosage was incorrect, and he fixed that problem. He then wrote an appropriate pediatric dose. I questioned the usage of it in this circumstance and his answer did not make sense. This was also when he had to abruptly leave for the second time on account of his own illness.

-what did I hope to gain from this visit? I wanted to report for the sake of CDC. I also needed Pedialyte since we did not bring any with and I had no way to get it onboard otherwise. They also gave us a pediatric antimedic suppository that I did not have.

Also, as a physician....if you can offer any furthur info I can include in my next correspondance with Celebrity, let me know. We have a follow up with our Pediatrician tommorrow and hopefully he can also provide info for us.

I felt compelled to reply to several of these posts. My husband and I were on the Solstice 1/16 cruising in cabin 7245. We both were stricken with what may have potentially been the worst case of vomitting and diarrhea we have ever had (46 and 47 years old). We had the virus 2 days apart and so we missed most of our cruise. When afflicted with the virus we were unable to get out of bed except to try to make it to the bathroom. I had projectile vomitting so bad I literally hit the walls of the bathroon....I tried to aim for the shower!!!! I really felt bad for our amazing cabin stewards!!!! They never once turned away from their duties.....when I would have personally run! They checked on us constantly.....we were literally too sick to wait for the medical clinic to see us. I know that it would have been better for us to be "counted" for CDC purposes, but we really felt that bad. I think the Ship itself was probably sick when we boarded and the only thing that I can fault Celebrity on is that they should consider mandatory hand sanitizing before entering the buffet (where my doctor at home said it more than likely came from). I saw a lot of passengers by-passing the nice crew that was "squirting" it right into your hand. Please be careful judging others posts when it comes to this horrible virus.....although it didn't kill us it sure killed our vacation!!!! It won't stop me from cruising, but you can't believe it until you have it!!!

Sorry to hear you were stricken with this too. I wanted to point out how you also mentioned "you can't believe it unless you have it". I am glad you had a great cabin steward. Now imagine if you didn't....that was our experience. = ( Someone in a previous post thought it was impossible for my 4 & 5 year old to have "hit the curtain" with projectile vomit, or soil the bed something awful with diahhrea. God forbid they ever have to know the truth of how this can happen with Noro.

I was also on the January 23rd sailing and while my husband and I escaped the virus, one of our traveling companions had it. He also experienced projectile vomiting and uncontrollable diarrhea. He and his wife were not as lucky as some cruisers. Their cabin stewards were reluctant to change the sheets or clean the bathroom. My friend had to speak with a supervisor. They missed three days of their cruise and had other friends on deck twelve who also had the virus. My friend had to wait quite awhile in the infirmary due to other sick passengers crowding the hallways waiting for treatment.

We were not offered a rebooking option during embarcation.As consumers shouldn't we be allowed to choose whether we board a ship infected with Noro? I had Noro several years ago and my husband has irritable bowel syndrome. We may have rebooked this cruise had we known how widespread the virus was. Many of you are missing the point. It is not whether one is given anti-biotics or diapers (yes, they were handing them out). The Noro numbers on any given cruise ship should be accurately recorded and reported to the public and the CDC. Celebrity is not being truthful. :cool:

As we are all telling Noro stories...

I once got Noro onboard an overnight train in Thailand with only ONE french (stand up) toilet onboard...:eek: Worst night of my life.

I surely do symphatize with those who are affected.

Archived