Please pray for missing passenger

intandemNV

I am on the Oosterdam. A 20 year old young man went missing yesterday after we left Ketchikan. Please pray for him and his family. They are still searching the ship and have alerted the coast guard. This has been a wonderful cruise and I will do a trip report when I get home...

I am on the Oosterdam. A 20 year old young man went missing yesterday after we left Ketchikan. Please pray for him and his family. They are still searching the ship and have alerted the coast guard. This has been a wonderful cruise and I will do a trip report when I get home...

Thank you for letting us know. Prayers for the young man and his family, and the Oosterdam family. Please keep us posted if possble.

The Coast Guard suspended the search this afternoon:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Coast Guard suspended the search Saturday at 3:45 p.m. for a missing passenger from the Holland America cruise ship Oosterdam.

The Coast Guard’s combined search effort included three Air Station Sitka MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew searches, and on the water searches by the crews of the Coast Guard Cutter Naushon and a Small Boat Station Ketchikan 47-foot Motor Life Boat. The searches covered more than 352 miles.

“Suspending a case is one of the hardest decisions that we as search and rescuers have to make and our thoughts and prayers are with the family,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Lindsey Kirby, Sector Juneau Operations unit controller. “While we have suspended active searching, we encourage anyone who sees anything while transiting though the area to call the Coast Guard.”

The missing passenger and his family are in our thoughts and prayers.

My understanding is that the young man had some sort of mental disability and it was hoped he was hiding somewhere. The front desk started calling for him a few hours after we left Ketchikan. They then posted his picture all over the ship and on the TV. The captain has made some announcements as well. It has been a very sad time, and my heart breaks for the family. My daughter has met one of his brothers in the teen club. We saw security on the promenade deck reviewing the security cameras. I don't think anyone knows what happened...

Cruise Critic received an official statement from HAL late last night. You can find it below:

"STATEMENT REGARDING ms OOSTERDAM

Seattle, July 23, 2011 – During the July 17 seven-day Alaska sailing of ms Oosterdam, a 20-year old male guest was reported missing by his family at approximately 2:30 p.m. local time on July 22. He was last seen by his family between midnight and 1:00 a.m. that same day and the ship’s gangway records do not indicate that he went ashore in Ketchikan during the July 22 call. Per marine regulation and protocol, the United States Coast Guard (USCG) and law enforcement authorities were contacted with all known information and the ship’s course. Following established procedures, the ship’s crew has also conducted a thorough search of the ship without locating the guest. The USCG has launched a search along the route the ship transited. We have offered full support and cooperation for the search conducted by the USCG. The current cruise will end in Seattle on Sunday, July 24. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Holland America Line operates a comprehensive program to ensure the safety and security of its guests and ship personnel. Flagged in the Netherlands, all ships meet the stringent Dutch, United States, and international standards for safety and security. The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority."

Praying for the boy and his family - we cruised Alaska with family and I cannot imagine how terrible it would have been if someone had disappeared. Also praying for everyone on board since this has to be disturbing to everyone.

Please let us know if you hear anything!

I too am hoping he's somehow hiding somewhere on the ship. Since the manifest didn't say he left the ship, hopefully he's there somewhere.

Thoughts go out to the family and to the missing boy, may he be found safe.

Archived