Opinions please on Haven access

maja651

First, I am asking for opinions. I KNOW that the ultimate answer is up to the Concierge on the ship. However, I would love feedback from some of the experienced NCL Suite and Haven guests.

Here is the scenario. My husband and I have an Owner's suite booked for our upcoming sailing on the Pearl. Our good friend (sailing solo) has the connecting penthouse suite booked, and another good friend, has the penthouse next to the connecting one booked (with her boyfriend). So, we have 3 front-facing suites booked in a row, connecting reservations. Total amount of people in these 3 connecting reservations - 5. Owner's suite technically sleeps up to 4.

Here is my question - I know the only room that has Haven access is the Owner's suite. Do you think the connecting penthouse and third penthouse could also get access to the Haven if we ask the concierge nicely? Do you think maybe just the connecting penthouse with the solo could get access? I am HOPING that all of us get the access, but really thinking that at the very least, the connecting PH should be able to get access, as she is just one extra person, and our room sleeps 4.

What are your thoughts?

Please - no name calling or telling me I am trying to abuse the system by getting non-entitled people into the Haven. I KNOW the PH suites do not have access to the Haven. I am asking if you think maybe because they are connecting to our Haven Owner's suite, and our reservations are connected, that maybe they COULD get access.

There is no Haven access for non-Haven cabins. However in my experience for people traveling together they will let you get priority disembark together if for example you booked a cabana on one of the private islands and they will be your guests in the cabana. My experience is for Jewell class ships.

There is no Haven access for non-Haven cabins. However in my experience for people traveling together they will let you get priority disembark together if for example you booked a cabana on one of the private islands and they will be your guests in the cabana. My experience is for Jewell class ships.

Thank you. We are all in suites, so my friends already are entitled to all of the suite perks, just not Haven access. Honestly, the only time I think we will even use the Haven is on the Roatan day, as we do not plan to leave the ship that day. With our huge front facing balconies, even if they do not get access, it is not a huge deal as we will probably be using our own balconies anyway.

Since you are on the Pearl, you do realize the Haven is rather small, so not a big deal. Often there is nobody there to monitor who is coming and going.

You all already eat at Cagneys/Moderno, so that is equal. The only thing different (normally) is access to the small haven area. All other perks are about the same.

I think they might let you. I also think if you and friends wandered in there a day or so after boarding and folks know who YOU are, nobody would bother you. Yes, I know some people are going to get all bent out of shape saying they should not be there. I get that. I have been in the Haven and it is usually dead - average of 0-4 people there.

If you’re sitting in First Class, and your friends are in the first row of coach, would you invite them to come sit with you?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, and not a good comparison in my opinion. First class are reserved seats, Haven access is not the same.

Since you are on the Pearl, you do realize the Haven is rather small, so not a big deal. Often there is nobody there to monitor who is coming and going.

You all already eat at Cagneys/Moderno, so that is equal. The only thing different (normally) is access to the small haven area. All other perks are about the same.

I think they might let you. I also think if you and friends wandered in there a day or so after boarding and folks know who YOU are, nobody would bother you. Yes, I know some people are going to get all bent out of shape saying they should not be there. I get that. I have been in the Haven and it is usually dead - average of 0-4 people there.

Thank you. That is kind of what I thought as well. The only place we would use is the Haven sundeck anyway. The enclosed area with no view of the ocean is not our cup of tea. :)

If you’re sitting in First Class, and your friends are in the first row of coach, would you invite them to come sit with you?

The OP already acknowldeged they may not be allowed.

And, the above comparison is NOT the same. First class on a plan is seat specific. They could not come and share their seat. They want to sit in an area that probably has nobody else around. they are not looking to bump somebody out of their perk.

Thank you. We are all in suites, so my friends already are entitled to all of the suite perks, just not Haven access. Honestly, the only time I think we will even use the Haven is on the Roatan day, as we do not plan to leave the ship that day. With our huge front facing balconies, even if they do not get access, it is not a huge deal as we will probably be using our own balconies anyway.

We sail in those Owner Suites all the time and do not use the Haven at all.(Jewell class ships). It is a smallish area where you can't see out. I wish they would take them out of the Haven program and reduce the cost.

There are reasons that those with Haven access are given access and that those without access are not.

If every guest with Haven access "gave" access to friends that do not have access, what would be the result? Would it be alright for you to invite your friends while others could not invite theirs?

There are reasons that those with Haven access are given access and that those without access are not.

If every guest with Haven access "gave" access to friends that do not have access, what would be the result? Would it be alright for you to invite your friends while others could not invite theirs?

I understand your point, and I expected some responses like yours. I guess we shall see what the concierge says. To clarify, I would not be "giving" access as you put it. I would be ASKING for access for my SUITE guest CONNECTING reservations and CABINS friends. All scenarios are not equal, which is why the concierge can ultimately decide. (Maybe the Haven will not be crowded that week, etc.)

Every time I have wandered up there (very infrequently) from an Owner's Suite I am asked my cabin number since they do not recognize me. It might look unattended but there is a butler's pantry rather well hidden when you get off the elevators and there is usually someone there hat hurries out to question us.

If you know that it is up to the concierge, what exactly are you asking us?

Do WE think that they should be given access? Our opinions mean nothing in that case.

I am asking, as stated in my original post, for opinions, and maybe experiences others have had. I know that many will be of the mind set that you have, that they SHOULD NOT have access. And, I get it, I am not stupid or entitled. I am just hoping to be able to use the Haven sundeck one port day with my friends. I am also just curious as to others' experiences and opinions.

Yes, the Concierge will decide, but with you being in the expensive owners suite you are putting them in an awkward position since you are a VIP passenger. They may find it hard to say no. By bringing them in to the Haven I think you know you will be abusing the system and you are doing wrong. You already know that though by the disclaimers in your original and subsequent posts. Regardless if the cabins are connecting and regardless of how many your suite can hold: No Haven fare SHOULD equal no access.

Disclaimer: The above post was not posted with snarky intentions and was solely intended to answer Maja's query.

Yes, the Concierge will decide, but with you being in the expensive owners suite you are putting them in an awkward position since you are a VIP passenger. They may find it hard to say no. By bringing them in to the Haven I think you know you will be abusing the system and you are doing wrong. You already know that though by the disclaimers in your original and subsequent posts. Regardless if the cabins are connecting and regardless of how many your suite can hold: No Haven fare SHOULD equal no access.

Disclaimer: The above post was not posted with snarky intentions and was solely intended to answer Maja's query.

That makes total sense. I certainly do not want to put the concierge in that type of position. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thank you. - Although - I may just check the Haven myself on the Roatan day and see if the sundeck has any people on it. If not, I may just bring ask that day and see if it will work out for that one day.

I am asking, as stated in my original post, for opinions, and maybe experiences others have had. I know that many will be of the mind set that you have, that they SHOULD NOT have access. And, I get it, I am not stupid or entitled. I am just hoping to be able to use the Haven sundeck one port day with my friends. I am also just curious as to others' experiences and opinions.

Even if for 51 weeks in a row it was allowed, that would ultimately mean nothing. Even if every person who has sailed in the same suite as you will tried the exact same thing and was successful, that would ultimately mean nothing.

Since opinions (other than the concierge's) mean nothing, it seems that you are looking for assurance that your plan will work. Nobody on this forum can give you that. They can give their experience but theirs may or may not match what you will experience.

Your question is the equivalent of "Can I drive 100mph on I-95 going towards Miami without getting a ticket?". Sure, some have done it (myself ;p) and had no issue but that doesn't mean anything if you plan on trying it next week.

You are asking for something that you know isn't allowed and hoping that the concierge will allow it. If it is allowed, great. If not, there's no reason to be upset with anyone here nor with the concierge.

No, and not a good comparison in my opinion. First class are reserved seats, Haven access is not the same.

Yes, it is. The Haven is a reserved area of the ship. First Class is a reserved area of the plane. Just because there may be extra room doesn’t mean you can give access away. It’s like asking that your friends in coach be given First Class meals.

This should be a FAQ because people ask all the time, “Can my friends come into the Haven with me?” Yes, just have them book a Haven room.

This is not meant to be snarky at all but here is a good equivalent to the first class seat on an airplane and Haven access. I was on a flight once sitting in first class. The entire plane had only 6 passengers on it. Someone sitting in coach wandered up to the first class attendant and asked that since there were enough seats for everyone to sit in first class could they move up there. The attendant just said "interesting question" and did not move them up there. I later learned from someone who works for the airline (disclaimer as it was second hand information that may or not be true) that if she moved everyone to first class it would be considered theft of service and she could get in big trouble. I am wondering if the concierge is under the same constraints. In any event it will be interesting to hear your experience because I regularly cruise with others that are not in the Haven and have never asked for them to join me.

We sail in those Owner Suites all the time and do not use the Haven at all.(Jewell class ships). It is a smallish area where you can't see out. I wish they would take them out of the Haven program and reduce the cost.

I agree-we love the OS that's outside the Haven and last trip we used the Haven once on a 10 day cruise. Reduce the price!

This is not meant to be snarky at all but here is a good equivalent to the first class seat on an airplane and Haven access. I was on a flight once sitting in first class. The entire plane had only 6 passengers on it. Someone sitting in coach wandered up to the first class attendant and asked that since there were enough seats for everyone to sit in first class could they move up there. The attendant just said "interesting question" and did not move them up there. I later learned from someone who works for the airline (disclaimer as it was second hand information that may or not be true) that if she moved everyone to first class it would be considered theft of service and she could get in big trouble. I am wondering if the concierge is under the same constraints. In any event it will be interesting to hear your experience because I regularly cruise with others that are not in the Haven and have never asked for them to join me.

Yea, that airline scenario could not be considered "theft of service" by any stretch of the definition.

p.s. Your disclaimer is noted. :)

Even if for 51 weeks in a row it was allowed, that would ultimately mean nothing. Even if every person who has sailed in the same suite as you will tried the exact same thing and was successful, that would ultimately mean nothing.

Since opinions (other than the concierge's) mean nothing, it seems that you are looking for assurance that your plan will work. Nobody on this forum can give you that. They can give their experience but theirs may or may not match what you will experience.

Your question is the equivalent of "Can I drive 100mph on I-95 going towards Miami without getting a ticket?". Sure, some have done it (myself ;p) and had no issue but that doesn't mean anything if you plan on trying it next week.

You are asking for something that you know isn't allowed and hoping that the concierge will allow it. If it is allowed, great. If not, there's no reason to be upset with anyone here nor with the concierge.

Good points. And no, I would not be upset if the concierge said no.

Yes, it is. The Haven is a reserved area of the ship. First Class is a reserved area of the plane. Just because there may be extra room doesn’t mean you can give access away. It’s like asking that your friends in coach be given First Class meals.

This should be a FAQ because people ask all the time, “Can my friends come into the Haven with me?” Yes, just have them book a Haven room.

I still disagree that it is not the same at all. And, although my friends are not in Haven suites, as they are in cabins that are connecting to ours, with a connecting reservation, and are in FULL PRICE NON-UPSELL SUITES, I do think that this is a special circumstance. Whether or not I ask for it now is up in the air at this time. And, if I do ask, and the concierge says no, I will not be upset.

I think there are some mean spirited folks here.

The OP was just trying to get an idea what to expect. Was not trying to bully their way in, etc.

And, if you are talking about the sun deck on a day the ship is in port... chances are it will be empty, or close to it. Not going to bother anyone and the concierge/butler/staff might be okay with it.

And maybe not.

As my young granddaugher said the other day " Calm down Papa. Calm down""

I think there are some mean spirited folks here.

The OP was just trying to get an idea what to expect. Was not trying to bully their way in, etc.

And, if you are talking about the sun deck on a day the ship is in port... chances are it will be empty, or close to it. Not going to bother anyone and the concierge/butler/staff might be okay with it.

And maybe not.

As my young granddaugher said the other day " Calm down Papa. Calm down""

Thank you. I appreciate your kindness. I wonder if these same people would be that way in person? It does seem like people are different behind the cloak of the Internet, versus in person.

I kind of knew the subject would stir up some controversy, so I am not shocked by the responses. I do value the opinions, and I do understand why some people feel so strongly about them. But, I also was honestly looking for opinions. If any of the negative nellies had read my responses to their posts, for most of them, I responded agreeing and understanding their viewpoint.